U2 Unorganized on the Horizon / The U2 Machinery

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I agree with the original post! What a disaster on the marketing of this single and album. The single went to radio on Jan 19th, and they suggest a download on Feb 15th. How stupid. They should have had GOYB for download on I-Tunes on Monday morning, no question.

Erm... wasn't GOYB available for download on iTunes on Monday morning?
:confused:

Nobody reading my posts then...

I would love an audience now with U2 Management...

Another band in the UK did the concert voucher idea. James, ok not the biggest band, but they offered a pre-order voucher with Ticketmaster if you downloaded the album on pre-order...they limited to one order per household...

Is anyone listening to me?!

i had thought they were still mastering?

Yes, that's what someone said in the Chris Evans thread.

You know what? I think Irvine is right. A big reason for the lack of hoopla surrounding the album is they were way more behind schedule than we think. It was December and the album wasn't even in the can. The numerous album covers also point to this, I feel.

And while I'm at it. Whats the rationale for having a release date of Feb 27th in one continent and Mar 3rd in another? Get it out there on time.

In the US new releases are always on a Tuesday, hence March 3rd. You think it should be otherwise, go talk to Universal. I'm pretty sure that's out of U2's hands.
And while the official release date of the album is on Monday March 2nd, stores usually start selling the album on the Friday before. Hence the February 27th date. You think it should be otherwise, go talk to Universal.

This strategy is a disaster and they know it. Ok so they've released 5 versions with extras. Whoopy do...we're in a recession, who is going to buy an album for $100?! Errr, not many people. The extra content will get leaked for download within days. Why not make that an incentive to download. Get the Anton Corbijn video as a bonus version on I-Tunes, and have it ready to download now.

The Anton Corbijn movie IS available for download for those buying the non standard-CD issue. And as it ties in with the album (i.e. probably use the music of the album), it would be weird releasing it before the album release.

Or, another marketing ploy to secure maximum sales. Offer an incentive of pre-order, or discount for concert sales with every download?! Oh, but they didn't think of that one did they! I-Tunes could link up with Live Nation and Ticketmaster, ie. Download the album, and get a pre-order voucher to be first in the queue for tickets. That way genuine fans can have a chance of buying a concert ticket. OK, so the sharks would cash in still, but still not a bad idea.

I think this forum would explode with anger should your idea be put in practice. It would force people to download the album for the concert ticket and then buy it a second time in a physical format. And there probably wouldn't be enough tickets to satisfy demand for this. It would thus prevent genuine fans for having a chance to buy a concert ticket.
:tsk:

oh nozzzzzzzzzz U2 havent even finished the album it wont be released!"12!"!!!!

interference over-reacting much?

now is a time when U2-as-democracy isn't such a good thing.

someone needs to step in, make decisions, and make the trains run on time.

i nominate Larry.

So what they're still mastering, but at least get it on pre-order to everyone in the world.

In the UK, No Line on the Horizon is NOT on I-Tunes for pre-order...only in the US...I have searched every day, with my card ready to pay for it...bt each day I am disappointed...

By the way, I love U2...and have high hopes for the album...

Look, I just know what happened to their last album. It leaked 2 weeks before, I was listening to it then. I still bought it on I-Tunes...

All That You Can't Leave Behind I had 3 weeks before, and still bought it on CD...

All I am saying is align with the digital age, and accept leaks will happen, and try and minimise...

So what they're still mastering, but at least get it on pre-order to everyone in the world.

In the UK, No Line on the Horizon is NOT on I-Tunes for pre-order...only in the US...I have searched every day, with my card ready to pay for it...bt each day I am disappointed...

By the way, I love U2...and have high hopes for the album...

Look, I just know what happened to their last album. It leaked 2 weeks before, I was listening to it then. I still bought it on I-Tunes...

All That You Can't Leave Behind I had 3 weeks before, and still bought it on CD...

All I am saying is align with the digital age, and accept leaks will happen, and try and minimise...

Pre-order it from amazon or HMV then?

oh nozzzzzzzzzz U2 havent even finished the album it wont be released!"12!"!!!!

interference over-reacting much?

relax.

U2 haven't finished the album, thus their attention is drawn to that and not to secondary concerns like the album cover or what have you.

we'll get an album. things just seem messy in a way that they weren't with Bomb (which was perfectly done what with the Brooklyn Bridge stunt and all that).

So, would this then be U2's mistake, or is Universal sleeping? Or maybe iTunes UK?
Why must everything be blamed on U2, while many parties are involved in this?

i had thought they were still mastering?

I suppose they could show off unmastered copies, so that's a distinct possibility.

For those in the know, how long does it generally take to master an album? It seems we've been talking about this for at least two weeks now.

So many times people have said this on here, but what the hell - im bored so ill say it again - What would you think as an average fan going to 1 gig of the tour, to come away not hearing them play any of those songs you listed? Granted you can find artists that sometimes go on tour with a new album and play nothing BUT that new album, but we know that u2 aren't one of them. They have too many fans to try and please.

I would also say that U2 do indeed play quite a few tracks (usually 7-8, which is about 75%) of their new album anyway. And not all songs on an album are either concert-worthy or possible to perform in a concert (without major adjustments). And on the last tour, U2 started throwing in some gems we hadn't heard ever or in a while, like "An Cat Dubh" and "Miss Sarajevo", the latter of which was well received (encouraging as this song was not well known in the U.S.). But even some of us die-hards still want to hear some of the big hits. I love hearing "Streets" and "Until the End...". Those are two power-house tracks that U2 do exceptionally well and that generate a huge response. While I would love to see some songs swap in and out (say "Angel of Harlem" for "Pride" on alternate nights or "New Year's Day" for WOWY), I do feel that most fans come there to hear not just new material, but some of their favorite older material too. I recall a friend at a PopMart show complaining how she didn't get to hear a song she loved (sadly for her, U2 did decide to play that song the next night). It was an older hit song too. The average fan wants to hear these, so they are needed in the show.

As for the other points, eh.

The other band should be thrilled that U2 used a similar cover. If it weren't for that, I wouldn't even know they existed. Now I'm interested in checking them out. And U2.com has had issues for a while - but I'm proud that they are at least very current in their news. Baby steps are good steps here. :yes:

Where is the story that the album is still being mastered as we speak coming from? Credible source or just a random person? I highly doubt that's the case, there has been several listening parties etc. A month before the release?

So, would this then be U2's mistake, or is Universal sleeping? Or maybe iTunes UK?
Why must everything be blamed on U2, while many parties are involved in this?

I'm not blaming U2, other than if it were me, I would hold those responsible for my product accountable for their blunders, delays, inefficiencies etc. I have my doubts that they are holding anyone accountable, if their website is any indication. They've had 4 1/2 years to get that in order and they haven't; same problems year after year, except this year it actually mattered because they're releasing an album.

didn't read the entire thread, but why is it a problem the album hasn't been mastered yet? (if this is true)

also, as Marty said, even though u2.com always used to be more than a bit bad they at least have become the place for actual news on the band
so, again, what would the point be to have the site done up for the new album while the release is still more than a month away

DoctorWho, you seem to know alot about the charts, how will having GYOB listed twice on the download charts have an effect on billboards rankings ?

I'm not blaming U2, other than if it were me, I would hold those responsible for my product accountable for their blunders, delays, inefficiencies etc. I have my doubts that they are holding anyone accountable, if their website is any indication. They've had 4 1/2 years to get that in order and they haven't; same problems year after year, except this year it actually mattered because they're releasing an album.

Well, who should be blamed if not U2's managment team? And exactly how hard is it to release one song, one pre-order album, with ONE image called NLOTHFinalCover.GIF to the online distribution community correctly while simultaneously changing out the graphics and colors, not necessarly the navigation or data on a website? Not on iTunes UK right now, please that's just dumb.

They can drag PopMart all over the world in the 90s with some gigantor Russian cargo plane but can't do this now? Come on -- this is freakin' U2!
Biggest band in the world, and they can't get the above handful of things done correctly? Sorry, not giving them a get out of jail card free here -- this stuff is too easy given the amount of influence power and control they have over their business partners.

U2 Machine -- "the song is released on this date, you can pre-order this and do that ONLY until we tell you differently. Please use this album cover graphic image"

RetailWorld --"hmm thanks, we can't wait! We think this song and record might make our quarter in the music categaory -- is there anything else we can or should do? By the way, can the band do an online chat with us when the album comes out"

U2 Machine -- "no, those are reserved for our redesigned U2 website -- feel free to link to the chat, we'll let you know the date"

RetailWorld "Thansk soooo much!"

I am blame the internet and the the fan that now lives in the instant gratification I want it now at the click of the button age.

I don't blame U2 at all.

I am blame the internet and the the fan that now lives in the instant gratification I want it now at the click of the button age.

I don't blame U2 at all.

I think that's a convenient generalization.

I honestly don't understand how it pertains to the subject that we're speaking of. Is whats being written in the prior posts really THAT out of the question? They've had plenty of time to get this done. Instant gratification is one thing...but 3 years is another.

I haven't piped in yet.

U2 isn't run well. Are we surprised?

They moved the date of GOYB up to download (probably to stop/hinder some piracy). Are we surprised?

The Website still sucks (yet I still pay for it). Are we surprised?

A trillion people will be trying for tickets for the tour, shit will be disorganized. People will cry "unfair"...Are we surprised?

BTW, Bono needs some help with his lyrics. The new MUSIC is great, the lyrics suck.

And yes, I will again tape this tour, because they can't pull their heads out of their green asses, and sell boots online. (Like lots of well run bands do)

Back
Top Bottom