U2 seen filming in Berlin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
thousands upon thousands of people already think U2 are a dinosaur/nostalgia act.

maybe it's just me, but i would so much rather hear Zoo Station through Love is Blindness than Every Breaking Wave, North Star, Glastonbury...

i definitely don't want a rerecorded AB. remastered, yes, but i wouldn't even listen to a rerecorded version.

They could do both, really.

This is just one person's experience, but, I saw the Pixies perform Doolittle in full, and Bruce perform Born To Run, and both experiences were sublime. Seeing U2 perform my 2nd favorite album of all-time? Yeah, sign me up if it ever does happen. And, it should be noted that I very much like NLOTH and will always be excited when new U2 material is released....

As for re-recording Achtung.....I don't see the appeal.

i don't think 360 is any more nostalgia than any other setlist that any other band that could play a stadium would be.

if that sentence made sense.

they do have 30 years of material to deal with.

i'd be all up for AB or JT all the way through, but only in an arena.

i don't think 360 is any more nostalgia than any other setlist that any other band that could play a stadium would be.

U2 played stadiums in the 1980s and managed to play most of their NEW album those nights. What album is 360 supporting? ATYCLB? It's a best of show. It's nostalgia. The focus is NOT on the recent work.

Sometimes I wish the 2 weren't doing anything, there'd be less whining.

What are the odds of them actually re-recording the album (or even just one or two songs) though?
I mean, is it really likely at all?
(not that i wouldn't love for them to, of course)

With the man's current voice I hope it's less than zero :)

(If I understood correctly what you meant :) )

U2 played stadiums in the 1980s and managed to play most of their NEW album those nights. What album is 360 supporting? ATYCLB? It's a best of show. It's nostalgia. The focus is NOT on the recent work.

Which is exactly what Edge said it would be. The 2010 and onwards shows that is. It's not supporting any album.

I doubt they are going to re-record the whole of AB. What would be the point? Would Francis Ford Coppola remake The Godfather just for shits and giggles? Stupid, stupid idea. I'm 99% certain they are NOT going to do it. But with current U2, that 1% bugs me...

Off off anniversary show? Sure that would be awesome.

Doing this at Glasto or a whole tour? No fucking way.

Some people are stuck, and nostalgia can be a bitch...

:up:

AB had its own tour... 20 years ago. The only thing worse than the current Zoo era nostalgia in the 360 setlist with EBTTRT and Zooropa would be a full on AB set (Glasto or elsewhere) or a full blown AB tour.

"anniversary show" = nostalgia act. Pass.

Re-recording AB ? Yeah right.

Yeah I'd definitely rather Unknown Caller & Breathe. :rolleyes:

Some people would, AB had ZooTv, what i am not getting here is the people moaning that U2 arent playing enough from their "current album" now want them to go and perform every song from an album that is 20 years old?

would it be great for a one of celebration? yes of course it would because its a fantastic album, but for the rest of the tour? and glastonbury? god no

oh well.

If U2 ever played in my backyard I wouldn't invite any of you. :angry:

*notice lack of sarcastic wink smiley here*

WHEN the 2 play my backyard very few of you will be invited, and I will be tweeting the wrong setlist just to fuck with those in the tour section...

OMG, can you believe it they just played Seconds remix!!!:hyper:

i wonder if some of the music they played in hansa the other day was new tunes or them recalling some of the 'leftovers' she's gonna blow your house down, heaven and hell, etc.

i wonder if some of the music they played in hansa the other day was new tunes or them recalling some of the 'leftovers' she's gonna blow your house down, heaven and hell, etc.
It could be...my guess is that they're trying to polish some of the Salome tracks for the remaster, sort of like what they did with Disappearing Act/Yoshino Blossom on TUF.

They'll probably just use footage of them playing 'One' and explain, in a typically self-mythological fashion, how it was the song that 'saved' them from splitting up. Kind of predictable really.

it is very, very rare for a band able to play stadiums to march out and play most of their new songs. U2 was able to do that in 1992/3 because AB was an extraordinary album, the show itself was visually strong enough to carry unfamiliar material, and they were at the peak of their powers and popularity.

personally, i'd prefer more focus on NLOTH, but in this day in age, when a band has a back catalog like U2 has, we can't avoid some nostalgia. in the 1980s, they hadn't written AB, they hadn't written ATYCLB, and they hadn't written Bomb. they were playing their (for the time) nostalgic hits every night, too -- SBS, NYD, IWF, TUF, Bad, etc. if you are playing a stadium in 2010, you pretty much *have* to have a big body of work. tickets are expensive. there isn't the market for colossal rock bands there was in the 1970s and 1980s. the only bands that can reasonably do it -- the stones, U2, bruce in the US ... who else? -- have a gigantic following because they've been big for a very long time. people go expecting to hear the hits, and there's nothing wrong with that. certainly, there's lots of nostalgia onstage. i just think it's unavoidable at this point.

Could be...we can assume one of those will get re-recorded and added present-day Bono vocals and/or new lyrics. (like Dissapearing act, Wave of sorrows etc)

I wonder if this will have some inspiration on them (Edge in particular), having to re-listen to the album as the remastering takes place and they listen to the songs that will make it on the B-sides CD.

:lol: You consider it a bad thing that they're opening with EBTTRT and playing Zooropa?

I didn't say that. One is the best opener of the tour (I'd prefer the title track off NLOTH to do it, if they're not happy with Breathe), and the other is not doing much for me. But admiteddly neither did Unkown caller or Miss Sarajevo.

I'm saying it's a little Zoo TV overkill when they have plenty of more current material (namely 3 dropped NLOTH songs and all of the new songs they premiered in 2010. North Star is the only one being played this year).

The only ZooTv song here is EBTTRT being added. I really don't see how that's considered an overkill when the majority of this leg had four ATYCLB songs. I get that people would like to hear the NLOTh songs more, but the current tour legs aren't supporting that album, so they're making a choice between their older and newer materials. yeah, I wish they'd play Glasto again, and Mercy. But perhaps they're working on them. They'll have their reasons not to play it I guess...

Zooropa is from that same Zoo era. On a night with Ultraviolet in the encore, that's 6 songs from that era (the trio - MW, One, UTEOTW - EBTTRT, UV, Zooropa). And the Batman song was also originally written during Zooropa sessions.

:shrug: I just think it's interesting how that isn't overkill but having 4/5 ATYCLB songs isn't. It is a much younger album and in their career so far, of equal importance.

lol. Batman did not surface on a tour since Pop, so there's no way you can count that as a ZooTv tour song. And if we're speaking eras we might as well put ATYCLB and Bomb on the same page as well. Same era right? That logic really baffles me... :huh: Zooropa is off a different album, and has been played live ONLY A FEW TIMES. It's a fucking rarity. Would you complain as well if they suddenly played So Cruel or Acrobat live... because it'd be another AB song?

I think the main reason that it's not overkill is... because Achtung Baby is actually a good album with good songs, that have all aged well. Rather than songs you get sick off after hearing them too much.

Back
Top Bottom