U2 packing it in?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think I lost my potatoes at the car wash. Don't know what I could have been thinking, the horse and buggy would have been the better way to go. You can't get arrested for flying a horse and buggy under the influence of LSD, can you?

I sure don't know. I just know I miss my potatoes. I knew them when they were just a bag of seeds, looking for a hole in the dirt, where they could grow and pleasure the earth and take life by the root.

Some spectacular fireworks at the end of the shows on their next stadium mega-tour would seem to be in order.

U2 will never "break up". They are way, way past "break up" (much like REM). One day they'll just record their last song, play their last gig, and that will be it. They're already a part time band as it is, and it's pretty clear that being a member of U2 is no longer the full time priority of any of these guys (at least until they tour again)...and hasn't been for some time.

That doesn't mean one of them (probably Larry) might not leave the band some day to do something else. But in that case, U2 would still call themselves U2, assuming they chose to go on. But "break up"? No...that's what rock bands do when they have creative differences, are smashing up hotel rooms or each other (usually both) or they just get so whacked on drugs there's no going on.

Your restraint is admirable. :)

self-control-motivational-poster-216534.jpeg

The report did come from the daily star which is probaly the worst paper in the world, yeah even worse then the sun.

I'm not believing anything until I see it printed in Propaganda.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using U2 Interference mobile app

I remember getting the issue that revealed the POP track listing. I was so excited, wondering about the possibilities that song titles like "Last night on earth" or "The Playboy Mansion" would give us. I had heard of IGWSHA and WUDM from Bill Flanagan's book, when he covered the recording of Zooropa, so I was excited to finally hear these songs.

Such a fun, innocent time to be a music fan. I truly miss that magazine. I still have a few of them, might need to dig them out for fun.

How were OL and I flops?

Apparently journalists who like the U2-are-over narrative like to use the sales numbers without certain considerations, like that all the free downloads of Invisible don't count and that OL was not promoted like a single. Makes for better copy.

I am definitely of the belief that whatever is going on with this, it would almost certainly have brought the band as close as they ever have been to giving it up - it's exactly the thing that has done it in the past - but when you see a quote like this...

“Bono is always getting offers to go solo and write his own album. That’s looking like a very likely option in the coming years.”

... you know an article is complete bullshit. No-one on earth wants a Bono solo album. No-one.

I am definitely of the belief that whatever is going on with this, it would almost certainly have brought the band as close as they ever have been to giving it up - it's exactly the thing that has done it in the past - but when you see a quote like this...

... you know an article is complete bullshit. No-one on earth wants a Bono solo album. No-one.

An album recording of Bono playing air guitar

Sent from down the rabbit hole

I'm sure a lot of people do. He talked about it in the past.

He's the only band singer I know who's never done a solo project. He's done a lot of collabs, though. I'm pretty sure Bono doesn't want to do a solo album and I'm not sure he'd do it if U2 should really stop making music together. I think it's too much work for him and he doesn't exactly consider himself to be a solo artist at all.

But seriously, even though I also prefer a new U2 album, I'd happily take a Bono solo work if we don't get any more albums from the band. It's better than nothing.

Apparently journalists who like the U2-are-over narrative like to use the sales numbers without certain considerations, like that all the free downloads of Invisible don't count and that OL was not promoted like a single. Makes for better copy.

They're also ignoring that Ordinary Love won a Golden Globe and was nominated for an Oscar. For those who determine artistic success by awards and sales, that means a lot.

Back
Top Bottom