U2 On Cover of April SPIN Magazine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I absolutely love the album, and I love that Bono isn't afraid to look ridiculous, but I have no qualms about saying that I think he looks ridiculous.

:)

What's with the flowery jackets lately? Must have something to do with the eyeliner...

That video was fun to watch, what's the game Bono was doing with the shoes? :lol: some child thing...

More eyeliner? Ughhhh. I don't know why Bono persists with this look, it doesn't even reflect the mood of the new album.

i know.

it really doesn't make sense on any level. it's not like he's portraying a character, either.

oh well. still better than a picture of him with his jacket open to show an american flag printed on the inside.

I don't usually care too much about Bono's style, but that eyeliner has to go. It doesn't fir the feel of their music at all, making Bono come off as kind of a pretentious poser.

i know.

it really doesn't make sense on any level. it's not like he's portraying a character, either.

oh well. still better than a picture of him with his jacket open to show an american flag printed on the inside.

actually, Bono said that the eyeliner is part of a character he'll be portraying on tour.

I'm not sold on the eyeliner, but has anyone watched ZooTV lately? Did we all forget about MacPhisto?

Yeah he was portraying a character (which this one is too as mikal pointed out), but do you think the general public "got" MacPhisto anymore than they get the eyeliner now? Maybe I'm wrong but I'm assuming the average person was at least as weirded out by MacPhisto as we are now by the eyeliner. Just sayin'.

I don't think MacPhisto is a good comparison. With MacPhisto, you knew that was entirely a character. You kind of said "wtf," but it was obvious that he was playing a character because it was so out there and an all-over change. Kabuki makeup, outfit, devil horns, fer chrissakes!

With the eyeliner, he can talk all he wants about how it's for a character in the upcoming tour, but it kind of makes him look like an aging rock star that's trying really hard to be all hip and current, to fit in with the latest youngsters on the rock star scene.

Would it have killed him to wait until the tour to start debuting this new character?

(Oddly enough, though, I do really like that flowered jacket.)

With the eyeliner, he can talk all he wants about how it's for a character in the upcoming tour, but it kind of makes him look like an aging rock star that's trying really hard to be all hip and current, to fit in with the latest youngsters on the rock star scene.

Maybe it's just a really crappy character. That's what Bono would want us to believe.

still, at least we're consistent in that Bono continually has used his eyes (and eye-wear) in performance and in his look. first the fly Goggles, then the PopMart yellow tinted things, then those godawful red glasses he wore in the very late 1990s, then the blue tinted glasses of the 00's, and how he'd take them off to sing "sometimes."

he always starts with the eyes, and the shoes.

let's see what happens. :shrug:

i don't mind the eyeliner when it's subtle, just not too cake-y.

Good call on the eyewear trend - I didn't think back that far, but you're right!

I don't mind the eyeliner ... it's really the eyeshadow that bugs me. But Tyra would be proud of how he did his "smoky eye."

U2 Fans: Why doesnt Bono bring back characters
Bono: I am working towards a new character
U2 Fans: Oh noez he looks sillyzz

I don't think MacPhisto is a good comparison. With MacPhisto, you knew that was entirely a character. You kind of said "wtf," but it was obvious that he was playing a character because it was so out there and an all-over change. Kabuki makeup, outfit, devil horns, fer chrissakes!

Would it have killed him to wait until the tour to start debuting this new character?

(Oddly enough, though, I do really like that flowered jacket.)

And now we know he's building a character. It's not Bono trying to be "hip" or "current". He started debuting his Fly persona way before Zoo TV, for example.

What difference does it make ? I bet those against eyeliner won't change their mind once we see the tour character in action.

But Tyra would be proud of how he did his "smoky eye."

i'm sure she'd point out the tremendous influence she's had on Bono over the years, and how flattered she is when other celebs take her advice, and maybe she'll give him a picture of her when she first pioneered that look because it was such a special moment for her, and thus it was a special moment for Bono (and everyone, really).

i'm sure she'd point out the tremendous influence she's had on Bono over the years, and how flattered she is when other celebs take her advice, and maybe she'll give him a picture of her when she first pioneered that look because it was such a special moment for her, and thus it was a special moment for Bono (and everyone, really).

Somebody's a fan of The Soup:love:

U2 Fans: Why doesnt Bono bring back characters
Bono: I am working towards a new character
U2 Fans: Oh noez he looks sillyzz

:lol:

I subscribe to Spin, but some issues show up looking like they started to get run over by a lawnmower. :mad: I hope this one arrives in good shape!

At Capitol Records last week one of the girls yelled out, "So who loves Bono's eyeliner?" Out of 40 people around, three girls squealed. Stone silence from the rest. I pointed out, "You'll notice only three of you squealed. And none of you were men."

Just sayin'....

To be fair, the men were probably all thinking:

"....... he's wearing eyeliner? I didn't notice."

;)

In the original big eyeliner thread we had here it seemed just as many men were ok with it as women who weren't. It didn't seem to make too much difference whether you were male or female if you liked it or not. I could be wrong though :hmm: I didn't do an actual count or anything, it was just general impression.

Back
Top Bottom