U2 NLOTH Boxset

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is probably not case as the equal sign on the artwork above is already there in the folded-out digipack, but what if... the artwork on the digipack would be without the equal-sign (as in the amazon.com pictures) and the digipack is held together by a see through thick plastic sleeve, which only features the equal sign in grey on the center?... I would definately dig that!

On a more serious note, on u2france.com I read about French actor Saïd Taghmaoui who is starring in 'Linear', the accompanying Corbijn film.
My french is not what it used to be :hmm: but this is what I read:

Résultat : il a tourné une heure et demi de film sous la direction d’Antoine Corbin. Découpé en 14 morceaux pour illustrer les 14 titres de l’album, ce film sera intégré sur le CD en bonus.

he filmed 1,5 hours of footage under direction of Anton Corbijn. He turns up in 14 pieces of film to illustrate the 14 numbers on the album...

14 numbers?! 1,5 hours of footage?! Seems there is more to Linear than meets the eye! (Like the cover... love the flames!)

14 ey...

so 3 more....

id say Tripoli is a lock, given the song is the theme for the movie.

So 2 more? Every breaking Wave? Anything else at all mentioned?

Hey everyone,

Amazon just dropped the price on the box set to $66!!! And with free shipping, it seems like I pretty good deal...

...so of couse I went ahead and picked one up :)

Mario

Yup, I just bit too. :) With the free shipping - I reckon I will be picking up the single CD anyway day of release (or earlier hopefully, if my special store will sell it to me earlier like they did with ATYCLB and HTDAAB :wink: ), so waiting a few more days for the rest won't be a biggie.

I think I have the location of the disc inlay and disc artwork photo. It's in Fez, and possibly the Bab Boujloud, the main square of the old city. Check out the similar pointy battlements on the curtain wall and what looks like the open square. It's not the same angle but it could be that end of town.

2w5jazq.jpg

256g5fs.jpg

68dd3s.jpg

I love finding U2 location stuff. I've also found quite a few exact locations of the Achtung Berlin shots and then matching them with Google Earth. Fun.

I want "Linear". I can listen to the album on a DVD and watch videos at the same time. I hope they have at least DTS on the DVD. It's still better than CD sound.

^ Hey, where'd the beautiful High Res. images come from?

:drool:

Oh, and it shows once and for all that there is NO definite line on the horizon in the photo! :wink:

^ Hey, where'd the beautiful High Res. images come from?

:drool:

Oh, and it shows once and for all that there is NO definite line on the horizon in the photo! :wink:

Exactly! I said that on the first day the photo was released and everyone called me an idiot. It's almost like a trick because you think: of course there's a line there. But then you look more closely.

Honestly I'd just be happy with the songs/CD. All that stuff would just sit on my shelf for years and collect dust. I even have DVD's I havent watched yet from the last album. Hahaha. :reject:

Honestly I'd just be happy with the songs/CD. All that stuff would just sit on my shelf for years and collect dust. I even have DVD's I havent watched yet from the last album. Hahaha. :reject:

I have "the book" special edition or whatever the hell is was they released for the last album... total dust magnet :drool:

I'm a sucker for all this extra crap. I've come to terms with it, don't judge me! :angry:

I'm more interested in bonus tracks than I am all of the books, etc. I have the special edition book that came with HTDAAB and while it was mildly amusing once, I haven't looked at it since I first got it. Same with the DVD.

I wish there was a version that came with just NLOTH on Disc 1 and the Coribjn DVD (not a download) as Disc 2. No big books or boxes, just the album with both discs.

I am totally going to rub that box set all over my nakedness while doing the pee-pee dance.

We agree to disagree. I don't think I need to "study harder" as a matter of fact I think too many people study "too much" when it comes to art. I've met a lot of people who can talk a good game about art, but their work just doesn't hold the substance that their words do. I'm not saying this as a diss to you...I'm merely speaking of some of my colleagues over the years.

Our biggest fundamental difference in our debate here lies on the importance of artist intent. Its kind of a moot point to argue because no matter which way you take the discussion, it kind of comes back to that issue. Is artist intent important or not? I believe it is, you don't. Should art speak for itself? in a perfect world...yes. But you and I know that's not always the case. Again, we can argue till the cows come home, and trust me I've done it and I'm sure you have to...but we would circle back to the afore mentioned issue, which has no right or wrong answer. But in the end...thats the great thing about art....its not about the answer...its about everything else.

BTW, funny you should mention Pollock....he's my OTHER favorite artist other than Picasso. Its funny too, because judging by what I just said about artist intent you would think I'd hate Pollock because his paintings fit exactly into YOUR theory. LOL! Maybe I haven't quite figured this whole thing out just yet :wink: Contradiction is balance....right?

Thanks for the discussion. Great points by all. Cheers.

I don't really see why it has to be approached as "artist's intent always matters" or "artist's intent has nothing to do with it." It's not as black and white as that, and I would venture that most artists, including myself and you two (god, punny) approach their canvas, whatever it may be, with an intention in mind - painting of trees, song about sex, poem about pain, whatever it is. Art should inspire new thinking and creativity, but the art should also be able to communicate. No art is a fortress to which the observer applies their own meaning in a vacuum. It's intensely noble to think that art is art itself, but the artist is approaching it with their own set of intentions, and if those intentions are not communicated through the art with some level of interest, kinetics, or clarity (not that those are the only ones, or that those three are most important) then the art usually falls flat. Even modern serialist composers are approaching their music from a standpoint of making something new and beautiful, something with an emotional quality to it. the artist WANTS that. if you get something else, awesome, but it's not black and white.

When I listen to Donuts by J Dilla, I'm enriched by the sound, and then moved to tears when I realize that he was on his deathbed, making these samples, creating this 33 track masterpiece of sound. Should it always matter? no. But it does matter, and Donuts is his last testament. That IS important, but it's also valid because the music on its own is deep and compelling.

I don't really see why it has to be approached as "artist's intent always matters" or "artist's intent has nothing to do with it." It's not as black and white as that, and I would venture that most artists, including myself and you two (god, punny) approach their canvas, whatever it may be, with an intention in mind - painting of trees, song about sex, poem about pain, whatever it is. Art should inspire new thinking and creativity, but the art should also be able to communicate. No art is a fortress to which the observer applies their own meaning in a vacuum. It's intensely noble to think that art is art itself, but the artist is approaching it with their own set of intentions, and if those intentions are not communicated through the art with some level of interest, kinetics, or clarity (not that those are the only ones, or that those three are most important) then the art usually falls flat. Even modern serialist composers are approaching their music from a standpoint of making something new and beautiful, something with an emotional quality to it. the artist WANTS that. if you get something else, awesome, but it's not black and white.

When I listen to Donuts by J Dilla, I'm enriched by the sound, and then moved to tears when I realize that he was on his deathbed, making these samples, creating this 33 track masterpiece of sound. Should it always matter? no. But it does matter, and Donuts is his last testament. That IS important, but it's also valid because the music on its own is deep and compelling.

Sure artists have intentions. But art should be about raising questions, not giving answers. And there's nothing wrong with art being mindless entertainment. A lot of artists succeed in showboating their intentions and agenda, but fail to get taken seriously.

I rather have my art mindless than preachy.

I'm more interested in bonus tracks than I am all of the books, etc. I have the special edition book that came with HTDAAB and while it was mildly amusing once, I haven't looked at it since I first got it. Same with the DVD.

I wish there was a version that came with just NLOTH on Disc 1 and the Coribjn DVD (not a download) as Disc 2. No big books or boxes, just the album with both discs.

That makes me depressed :(
Hell, someone will put Linear up on Youtube the next day

Really? Trying to decipher the messy handwriting in the HTDAAB book and watching the video of Edge playing the banjo kept me entertained for a good while.

:drool: So awesome. I can't wait. I've preorderd the boxset and the doubel vinyl. I'll but the regular cd in stores the day it's released. Walking into the store on release day if half the fun.

Wow that looks so epic, the guys are really going all out for this one. Those landscape shots remind me of the expansive quality of JT. Great find Last Unicorn. :)

:shifty: Sicy posted an even bigger pic in a couple other threads. I can't find them at the moment though. (And a really big one of the cover too)

The big one of the cover also proves that in this photo is there is no line on the horizon. :wink: (the smaller versions you can't see it clearly enough)

Back
Top Bottom