"U2 confirm 2013 album"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
You guys are dreaming if you think a butchered 4 min version of MOS would have played well in North America.

Just enjoy the albums and don't worry if their songs will play between Lady Gaga and 3oh3!

Nobody is claiming it would have done well, or cares.

It would have looked a whole lot gutsier and creative than Sexy Boots though. Part of that whole not-being-a-dinosaur thing.

LemonMelon said:
Nobody is claiming it would have done well, or cares.

It would have looked a whole lot gutsier and creative than Sexy Boots though. Part of that whole not-being-a-dinosaur thing.

Who cares if it's gutsier? People who listen to the radio don't care about U2 anymore. If their songs are good the fans will enjoy them. They won't have another number 1 hit unless they do a duet with Katy Perry.

PhilsFan said:
MOS first, NLOTH second, then Breathe third.

I love the sound of that. I think Magnificent could have been a decent third single as well, though.

Steved1998 said:
Who cares if it's gutsier? People who listen to the radio don't care about U2 anymore. If their songs are good the fans will enjoy them. They won't have another number 1 hit unless they do a duet with Katy Perry.

The point of MOS as a first single would not have been radio play so much as long-term interest and credibility from the broader music community, who I am very unconvinced are represented by top forty radio at all.

Is it really fair to say the public isn't interested in u2 anymore?
Vertigo and CoBL were pretty damn successful, so if anyone is saying u2 aren't interesting to the public anymore/aren't capable of radio success anymore based on NLOTH's performance, i'd say at least wait and see how the next album and it's singles do.

NLOTH's commercial performance could have been just as much a reflection on the songs not being good enough/appropriate for the time as it could be a reflection on u2's general public reception.

On one hand, I really don't care if they only sell 1 copy, as long as that copy is mine.

On the other, if they don't sell millions and millions of copies, they will think they are no longer relevant and they might just say "to hell with it" and retire. 5 millions copies of NLOTH sold is a disapointment to them. Even if they do have a hit single from this album, it's unlikely that they'll sell as many copies as JT or AB, or even ATYCLB or HTDAAB for that matter. It's just not really possible in this climate, unless you're one of the very FEW like lady GAGA or something.

It makes sense. Album sales don't matter anymore. Screw the holiday push. Release it when it makes most sense to promote the tour.

360 was wildly successful, that's the new model.

You guys are dreaming if you think a butchered 4 min version of MOS would have played well in North America.

Who said anything about 4 minutes? The song is 7.5 on the album, and you'd likely be able to whittle that down to 5 minutes without losing too much of the heart of the track.

It makes sense. Album sales don't matter anymore. Screw the holiday push. Release it when it makes most sense to promote the tour.

Right, that's what I've been saying. They'll release it when they figure out the most convenient touring schedule, and I feel like they quite enjoyed the 360 schedule. Minus the back surgery bit.

Two words: RADIO EDIT.

Two words : No, thanks.

MOS deserves more than being chopped down for the radio. And U2 would be the first to say "thanks a lot for great songs that no one cares about". Credibility aside (not exactly in their favour in this decade to begin with), a fail is still a fail. And lead single MOS has fail written all over it. This isn't 1991 and MOS isn't The Fly (nor is Boots despite comparisons flying around).

Magnificent is where it's at for the lead single. May not be a a huge single like Vertigo or BD, but it's the only song resembling a single off the whole album. There's also Breathe, but Magnificent is more accesible and proved to be a bigger hit for the audience. I can't remember a U2 song getting such praise from everyone since BD. It was a single, yes, however, it didn't get the extra boost that the lead U2 single gets in airplay.

lazarus said:
Who said anything about 4 minutes? The song is 7.5 on the album, and you'd likely be able to whittle that down to 5 minutes without losing too much of the heart of the track.

Glad you were not the guy in charge of releasing Stairway to Heaven as a (promo) single to the radios.

#1 Who voted for an edited version? Not I. If crappy American Pie can get play, I'll give MOS it's chance.

#2 Whether it got play or not isn't the point. It's the album's best song and would have gotten U2 something they don't have a lot of right now: Respect.

If the album is released in 2013, we can expect another worldwide tour from them during the 2013-2015 year period.

Right, that's what I've been saying. They'll release it when they figure out the most convenient touring schedule, and I feel like they quite enjoyed the 360 schedule. Minus the back surgery bit.

I've been saying that too - October/November is not the magic time any more because people don't really buy CDs anymore - any holiday rush is now gift cards to buy downloads, rather than specific albums. And numbers for EVERYONE are down, so they need to stop focusing so much on actual sales numbers. They can (and should) release in Spring 2013 if the music is ready and they are ready to tour Summer 2013. If they are not, then they're not, and we wait.

I've been saying that too - October/November is not the magic time any more because people don't really buy CDs anymore - any holiday rush is now gift cards to buy downloads, rather than specific albums. And numbers for EVERYONE are down, so they need to stop focusing so much on actual sales numbers. They can (and should) release in Spring 2013 if the music is ready and they are ready to tour Summer 2013. If they are not, then they're not, and we wait.

This is NOT how U2 or Universal are looking at things. They want those record sales.

This is NOT how U2 or Universal are looking at things. They want those record sales.

And you've been in contact with U2 and Universal at some point in the last 3 years to determine this?

We don't know how U2 or Universal are looking at things. They could very well be looking at it solely from a sales perspective, sure. But after No Line's relative failure (and no, it wasn't a failure, but I'm sure it disappointed sales wise to them, through no fault of Boots or a March release, but just through the fault that CD sales just aren't there anymore unless you're appealing just to a tweenager audience), and 360°'s raging success, I'd say that the tour is the most important thing for U2 in terms of sales.

In terms of "success," I think they're looking for one song that will be all over the radio, in Starbucks and getting good reviews among the music bloggers. They're looking for something that will be successful to a huge variety of people. And even if they come up with that song, it'll make little impact on that album's sales.

I'm sure that somebody at Universal and somebody inside U2's camp realizes this. I'd be willing to bet that being home for the holidays and touring when they like to the most (summer months) means more to them than an extra 150,000 units sold at Best Buy at this point in their career.

Of course, *I* haven't been in contact with anybody either, so it's just my speculation versus yours, but I don't think it's fall or bust anymore. I just don't think that mentality can really exist in 2012-13, when all the money is made either digitally or on tour.

Again, it boils down to this: it'll be released when U2, collectively, think it is ready to be released, and not a moment sooner or later.

As for the No Line first single debate that has been beaten to death, I'll chime in here too.

There's no strong single on the album, period. Does that make it a poor album? No. It's a very, very strong album with some of the best U2 moments on it.

Moment of Surrender would have been a cool first single, sure, but it wouldn't have done much. Releasing Magnificent on the heels of it, maybe. I'm a pretty big fan of Magnificent and think it's a good song, but the chorus simply isn't catch enough to be a wild single.

If they wanted the most successful airplay/radiowave outcome, maybe go ahead throw Moment of Surrender out there first, but it won't make a huge dent.

I still think releasing Crazy Tonight as the first single would have been best, strictly speaking in terms of airplay/success. Some type of modified version, with a mix similar to the blackberry ad, and have the song build up to the end, and maybe modify the end so that the "know I'll go crazy" chant that they did on the 360 remix is in there somewhere.

That would have been the best/most successful first single, in my opinion. Anything else is wishful thinking.

Back
Top Bottom