tripoli mention on Bestbuy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I dunno... Fez and Tripoli ARE different places. They aren't interchangeable...... That alone would make me inclined to think they're different songs.

yes, but Bono could have easily made a convenient scene change within the story and easily chose Fez over Tripoli without changing too much of the plot. Maybe he found the French sounding street that he used in the story from a map of Fez and said "Hey that actually rhymes!" so he changed the location. Who knows? :wink:

Anythings possible. I can see both sides of the argument though. I guess we'll find out sometime in the future when Bono and the band talk more about the genesis of the songs.

No, I didn't record it. I was watching tv and it came on and I didn't know it was coming on.

Well, there's one song on the album that references Cadiz and everything else mentioned, and it's "Being Born." I suppose it's possible that Bono wrote two songs about the same character, and mentioned Cadiz twice, but Ockham's razor tells me it's more likely that they changed the name and nobody got word to Best Buy. I mean, that copy was probably written a couple months ago or more.

As for Fez and Tripoli not being close to each other—with Bono, we are not talking about a man who fact-checks his lyrics. He generally tries to convey a general sense. Broad strokes, and all that.

Well, there's one song on the album that references Cadiz and everything else mentioned, and it's "Being Born." I suppose it's possible that Bono wrote two songs about the same character, and mentioned Cadiz twice, but Ockham's razor tells me it's more likely that they changed the name and nobody got word to Best Buy. I mean, that copy was probably written a couple months ago or more.

As for Fez and Tripoli not being close to each other—with Bono, we are not talking about a man who fact-checks his lyrics. He generally tries to convey a general sense. Broad strokes, and all that.

I see. What I meant was not Cadiz coming up twice, but the storytelling of the boy leaving the city to make to Africa. Bono has said that of Tripoli and people who listened to Fez-Being Born also pointed out for the same plot.

So is this on the album that you heard?

YouTube - Lanois, Eno and Bono in Fez, Morocco

Not the lyrics, but the beginning part could very well be the same music—it's got the same dark, driven vibe. I'd be willing to bet a small amount of money it's the same song as "Being Born," but not a large sum. The clip is too short, and, y'know, acoustic, whereas the album track is lush and tricked out with what feels like a forest of guitar effects.

Back
Top Bottom