Tracklist announcement timing? - Tracklist Speculation/Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
^ Edge said they're not using anything they did with Rick Rubin in 2006, so that probably means that most of what they are going to use is circa 2006 or newer, in which time they were working with Eno and Lanois. That's only about two years of working. Their real problem is that they need to spend less time touring if they want to release albums faster (which would be fine with me).

wouldn't be fine with me (unless they cut out the 2nd US leg). We've seen them once here in 10 years, US have seen them 6 times in the same time frame. Less touring would probably mean we never see them again

Maybe we'll hear something from U2.com before Dec 28th. Q magazine mention that Paul Rees will have more details about the album on Dec 28th. If he's going to reveal more songs / album track list, I doubt that U2 will want Q to break the news....which is why I think we'll hear something on Xmas day, or Boxing day.

I agree.....the fact that it looks like it may have been U2.com that showed some muscle to scoop atu2.com & U2Spain on the album release date makes me think that U2.com may release the tracklist the day before or the day of the Q Magazine release. Something like, "Q Magazine features U2 and NLOTH this month. Among other great information, the article reveals the album's tracklisting---see below. Click link for the rest of the article."

Is 4 1/2 years since the last album not enough time to create 20 great songs that could make a great double album? In 4 years, from Oct. of 1984 to Oct. of 1988, U2 was able to release TUF, TJT and R&H....and all the awesome corresponding b-sides....just something to keep in mind.

Exactly. Same thing with Boy (October 20, 1980), October, War and UF (October 1, 1980). Plenty of fantastic tracks and b-sides on those four albums.

IMO bands that understand the importance of the "album" (U2, Killers, etc.) are the ones that last.

When have the Killers ever cared about the art of album-making? Hot Fuss and Day & Age are just a bunch of songs on a piece of plastic.

We have a bunch more confirmed song titles (and descriptions!) in the Q Magazine thread! :combust:

Radio Announcement

Heard on Q 104.3 NY tonight that the album will have "15 or so tracks" :drool: Lets just hope this wasnt a rumor the dj heard from an unreliable source.

Exciting... but given the perceived need to be cohesive, the number of tracks and Q's descriptions seem to point more to eclecticism. That and I want more than one release from all this long wait.

I think we'll have about 11 full songs and maybe 3 or 4 interludes/instrumentals... I've a feeling that they will tie the eclectic sounds together by using segues and ambience in between the tracks to really give it a flowing, cohesive feel. U2 seem adamant that they want to make a proper album this time, not just a collection of songs...

But 15 tracks... especially if one of them is 7 minutes long, I think you're looking at over an hour of music.

I find it hard to be dissatisfied. 4 years gave us an 11 song album. If 4 and not quite a half gives us a 14-16 song album, I'll take the wait.

I wonder if the radio station got their news from websites and rumors.

10 songs were mentioned in the Q article.

But some songs that we no seem likely aren't mentioned in the article, they don't talk about every song, notice that "No Line on the Horizon" isn't mentioned and I doubt that one is getting left off, but then again the source of the last album's title got relegated to a bonus track so you never know.

Oh I'll be happy with whatever number of songs are on this record because i just know that they'll be releasing something else relatively soon afterwards. My bet is on another full album in November '09 to coincide with the tour hitting it's full stride. I can really see it being a very long touring cycle also compared to the vertigo and Elevation tours- the deal with LiveNation is such a moneyspinner that it'll be a huge incentive for them to keep the show on the road well into 2010. Album #2 will be the perfect way to get lots of repeat concertgoers to attend second (and even third) swings through the USA and Europe...
All speculation of course! But I have a gut feeling about all this! :reject:

Oh I'll be happy with whatever number of songs are on this record because i just know that they'll we releasing something else relatively soon afterwards. My bet is on another full album in November '09 to coincide with the tour hitting it's full stride. I can really see it being a very long touring cycle also - the deal with LiveNation is such a moneyspinner that it'll be a huge incentive for them to keep the show on the road well into 2010 so album #2 will be the perfect way to get lots of repeat concertgoers to attend second swings through the USA and Europe...
All speculation of course! But I have a gut feeling about all thi! :reject:

Dude, its 2008 not 1988. I highly doubt they'll put out another full album in 09. (apart from in March) The best we can hope for is a little EP, but its more likely a couple of b-sides and crappy remixes on the singles.

I'm also thinking this tour could be a long one, although if the financial crisis keeps up it might not be as extensive as the Vertigo Tour.

I think we'll have about 11 full songs and maybe 3 or 4 interludes/instrumentals... I've a feeling that they will tie the eclectic sounds together by using segues and ambience in between the tracks to really give it a flowing, cohesive feel. U2 seem adamant that they want to make a proper album this time, not just a collection of songs...

I see where you are going with this, sort of like a few "Life in Technicolors"? Considering Eno just did that.

The article says things like, "The Olympic sessions had two exciting tracks" as if there are more they're not mentioning.

Dude, its 2008 not 1988. I highly doubt they'll put out another full album in 09. (apart from in March) The best we can hope for is a little EP, but its more likely a couple of b-sides and crappy remixes on the singles.

I'm also thinking this tour could be a long one, although if the financial crisis keeps up it might not be as extensive as the Vertigo Tour.

I'm being wildly optimistic obviously! But I just feel that there's an energy emanating from the U2 camp at the minute that suggests they have some serious creative energy still left in the tank - I don't get the feeling that they'll just sit on it this time til the next 4-5 year album/tour cycle comes around.
Just thinking about it - Zooropa emerged roughly 18-19 months after Achtung Baby. It's probably more likely that they could be looking at an October / November 2010 release leading straight into another, separate tour cycle. Again its total speculation but my main point is that I don't think they will settle for the "routine" this time around...

I really hope we get the tracklisting before the new year, with the running times it would keep me occupied and excited. Plus it could come in the q magazine. :drool:

I really hope we get the tracklisting before the new year, with the running times it would keep me occupied and excited. Plus it could come in the q magazine. :drool:

yeah thats true. Why would they spill all the beans they have on the site? Surely they want to shift magazines...

I have a feeling that the track listing will not be leaked by Q. U2.com is far more likely.

yeah for sure, i wasnt referring specifically to track listing, but it makes sense that they have more info that they are holding for the issue

I'm still wondering about what will happen on the next Q issue, an interview with the whole band or tracklisting or whatever else?

Q Discussed these tracks:

Magnificent
Get Your Boots On
Unknown Caller
Winter
No Line on the Horizon (Demo)
Moment of Surrender
Crazy Tonight
Stand Up
Breathe
Every Breaking Wave

These titles sound pretty epic...that's all I can say.

Link was found by user Yahweh:
U2 - QTheMusic.com

Holy moley, thats almost the whole album, I would've preferred some tracks to be kept quiet and only revealed when the tracklisting comes out. :drool:

^ well there are reports on NY radio (someone posted earlier) that there are 15 tracks on the album... so still some secrets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom