Thread for people who have heard the new album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

J2-D2

The Fly
I have heard No Line on the Horizon. I have heard it a number of times. That is all I am at liberty to say, for professional reasons.

I feel very fortunate—blessed, even—and only a tiny fraction gloaty, mostly because the thing is there are no fans to talk about the album with.

So if anyone else has heard it and you want to talk about it, this would be a good place to do it.

As for everybody else, I'm genuinely sorry you have to wait and won't annoy you with platitudes about anticipation being half the fun, blah, blah, blah.

Well, WaltDisney has heard it all through once. And JOFO has heard about 2 minutes of each track. So you can seek those guys out.

In the meantime... want to share a bit with the less fortunate?

If writers of high-profile magazines can now discuss the new album at their leisure, so can you. :wink:

Well, WaltDisney has heard it all through once. And JOFO has heard about 2 minutes of each track. So you can seek those guys out.

In the meantime... want to share a bit with the less fortunate?

:drool: If I could, I probably would. Alas, it's not within my power.

i find it mildly intriguing that you can't tell us anything about it, but can set up a thread about it?

But he said he can discuss with people who have heard it.

So JOFO, come on in here and you two can get to talking.

I'll watch.:corn:

If writers of high-profile magazines can now discuss the new album at their leisure, so can you. :wink:

But there's no one to discuss it with! I don't hang out with nearly enough writers for high-profile magazines. And truly, they've all pretty much said what I would have said anyway, usually better than I would have said it.

I have heard No Line on the Horizon. I have heard it a number of times. That is all I am at liberty to say, for professional reasons.

I feel very fortunate—blessed, even—and only a tiny fraction gloaty, mostly because the thing is there are no fans to talk about the album with.

So if anyone else has heard it and you want to talk about it, this would be a good place to do it.

As for everybody else, I'm genuinely sorry you have to wait and won't annoy you with platitudes about anticipation being half the fun, blah, blah, blah.

how professional.

In character:

"i've heard it. What about the <blank> in the <blank>. What a <blanking> <blank> that was!!! This album is totally, fucking <blank>!!!!"

I can't even remeber what the hell I heard Thursday night, which is why I requested the 45 second clips today. (Thanks guys for delivering!)

As I listened to the clips, I remembered some of the feelings....the verses in Breathe, for example, Bono does this thing where he lists stuff....
Cedars reminded me alot of Walk To the Water.
The first half of the album I think is going to be classic.
I still don't like Boots.
The second half is pretty dark...certainly the darkest since POP.

It IS an adult contemporary album though; I mean that in the best way possible. Any talk about punk rock, molten metal, or whatever (I know that was previous albums) does not apply here. It is slick produced, but in a great way.

BTW, my least fav track after Boots is SUC....because Bono is singing the chorus sharp. How they didn't fix this will bother me for a long time.

But there's no one to discuss it with! I don't hang out with nearly enough writers for high-profile magazines. And truly, they've all pretty much said what I would have said anyway, usually better than I would have said it.

So, you're asking others who have heard it to come in here and discuss it, but since you can't say anything, you're just going to watch their conversation? Is that about right?

:eyebrow:

Hey J2-D2, I've heard the album. :shifty:

So... what do you want to talk about?

EDGE'S SOLO ON "MOMENT OF SURRENDER."

It makes me so happy. I always imagine Bono wincing as he sings and then the camera panning over to capture Edge, all solemn and unperturbed and looking at his frets and graceful as he plays the notes.

Re: Why I started this thread/other people being allowed to read it

It's late, I'm bored, I'm sorry—it was probably poor form. But seriously, what is the point of getting to hear an album early you've been waiting four and a half years to hear IF YOU CAN'T TALK ABOUT IT???!??

It's like being alone on a desert island. With an awesome soundtrack, but still.

EDGE'S SOLO ON "MOMENT OF SURRENDER."

It makes me so happy. I always imagine Bono wincing as he sings and then the camera panning over to capture Edge, all solemn and unperturbed and looking at his frets and graceful as he plays the notes.

Re: Why I started this thread/other people being allowed to read it

It's late, I'm bored, I'm sorry—it was probably poor form. But seriously, what is the point of getting to hear an album early you've been waiting four and a half years to hear IF YOU CAN'T TALK ABOUT IT???!??

It's like being alone on a desert island. With an awesome soundtrack, but still.

Once again I pose to you the question: Why start a DISCUSSION thread if you can't DISCUSS it?

I can't even remeber what the hell I heard Thursday night, which is why I requested the 45 second clips today. (Thanks guys for delivering!)

As I listened to the clips, I remembered some of the feelings....the verses in Breathe, for example, Bono does this thing where he lists stuff....
Cedars reminded me alot of Walk To the Water.
The first half of the album I think is going to be classic.
I still don't like Boots.
The second half is pretty dark...certainly the darkest since POP.

It IS an adult contemporary album though; I mean that in the best way possible. Any talk about punk rock, molten metal, or whatever (I know that was previous albums) does not apply here. It is slick produced, but in a great way.

BTW, my least fav track after Boots is SUC....because Bono is singing the chorus sharp. How they didn't fix this will bother me for a long time.

I don't think it's as adult-contemporary as Atomic Bomb, though—the songs aren't as immediately accessible. But no, it's not molten metal, and "Boots" (which I do like) isn't representative of the rest of it, although it slots in nicely.

"Stand Up" is probably my least favorite. It's a little U2-by-numbers, some of the lyrics are borderline, and it's not, like, subtle in any fashion. Edge's vocals feature a sweet echo effect, though, and his guitar has this nice slicey/piercing thing going on.

Back
Top Bottom