Thread for people who have heard the new album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not as clean as the last two. I don't mean low-quality (and it's also possible I've heard a not-quite-totally-mastered version, although I don't think so), but you know how Achtung has a darker, slightly murky sound? I think of Achtung when I think of the production on this one.

nice, so more moody/atmospheric? I'm down with that.

5 stars. i like this thread.

i was being serious when i said this. thanks for the insight J2, and jofo. i knew this thread would end up better than leak puns :wink:

J2, what song would you say bono sounds the best on? are his vocals forced at times or does he sound naturally good throughout?

I really am off to bed now, guys, and sorry if I missed anyone's question. I'll be at work for the rest of the week and am also in the middle of some big Life Changes, so please forgive me if I don't manage to get back on the thread.

And thank you, seriously, for letting me talk to you about the album. I'm not going to pretend for a second that it's, like, a burden to have heard it early, but I really was dying to share with some other big fans before it either came out or leaked. I can't imagine I'll ever have the chance to again!

i was being serious when i said this. thanks for the insight J2, and jofo. i knew this thread would end up better than leak puns :wink:

J2, what song would you say bono sounds the best on? are his vocals forced at times or does he sound naturally good throughout?

OK, last answer: I think I'd say "Breathe," but it would be close with a lot of others. His vocals definitely don't sound forced the way they have at points on recent albums. One of the first things I noticed, in fact, was how strong they sound.

Night!

OK, last answer: I think I'd say "Breathe," but it would be close with a lot of others. His vocals definitely don't sound forced the way they have at points on recent albums. One of the first things I noticed, in fact, was how strong they sound.

Night!

:drool: :drool:

great news...but I'm sorta disappointed by the "this isn't the masterpiece we've all been waiting for" bit or whatever...but I guess I can't take that statement too seriously...as no matter what only time will tell....

I notice that typically folks on here aren't all that keen on albums like War, or wanting the new stuff to sound like War. I mean, NYDay, SBS, Seconds, Like a Song, 40, Surrender, Two hearts... maybe it's because that's the album that made me a U2 fan, but i do feel it gets short shrift compared to the 90s records.

I know, this perhaps should be a post in a War appreciation thread, but i just was curious if other fans here would welcome that sound again. And I don't think HTDAAB had that sound, btw. Just because it was more rock. War had a distinctly Irish thing with the martial drums going on, a mood we havent seen from U2 much apart from maybe on Bullet.

ANyway---great times ahead. Can't wait for the leak ... or maybe it will be better if it doesnt leak. I still remember the thrill of only hearing a new u2 album in its entirety after buying it at the record store.

J2 if you see this, thank you for answering my and everyone else's questions! Much appreciated and you seem to have alot of people, myself included, excited!

I notice that typically folks on here aren't all that keen on albums like War, or wanting the new stuff to sound like War. I mean, NYDay, SBS, Seconds, Like a Song, 40, Surrender, Two hearts... maybe it's because that's the album that made me a U2 fan, but i do feel it gets short shrift compared to the 90s records.

I know, this perhaps should be a post in a War appreciation thread, but i just was curious if other fans here would welcome that sound again. And I don't think HTDAAB had that sound, btw. Just because it was more rock. War had a distinctly Irish thing with the martial drums going on, a mood we havent seen from U2 much apart from maybe on Bullet.

ANyway---great times ahead. Can't wait for the leak ... or maybe it will be better if it doesnt leak. I still remember the thrill of only hearing a new u2 album in its entirety after buying it at the record store.

I actually kind of agree. I rate War a lot higher than Interference as a whole. While Bomb and ATYCLB introduced me to U2, War was the first U2 album I became fanatic about. Having said that, I think that sound has a very distinct youthful energy that U2 has dried up and worn out over the years. They still sometimes tap into it live, but I think intoducing the 80s back into the studio in an explicit way wouldn't bring out anything worth recording.

War was the first U2 album I heard and I think it's one of their top 2. I still to this day say "the Edge stole my guitar sound"!!:mad:

I actually kind of agree. I rate War a lot higher than Interference as a whole. While Bomb and ATYCLB introduced me to U2, War was the first U2 album I became fanatic about. Having said that, I think that sound has a very distinct youthful energy that U2 has dried up and worn out over the years. They still sometimes tap into it live, but I think intoducing the 80s back into the studio in an explicit way wouldn't bring out anything worth recording.

Yeah, I dont think going backward is the answer. But that record had a clarity to it that I miss sometimes. PErhaps it's the youth factor that's missing. Theyre older and wiser and as some of us older folks can attest, you're sure of less and less as you get older. Things arent so black and white.

But, musically speaking, even something like what's going on in Drowning Man, you know, not a lot of technology, per se, but a great touch with the violin.. I could go for that a bit more. That song just showed they were way ahead of the young rock band curve even still in their early 20s. And they didnt need Eno or Lanois to help them write that one, either.

I don't think it's as adult-contemporary as Atomic Bomb, though—the songs aren't as immediately accessible. But no, it's not molten metal, and "Boots" (which I do like) isn't representative of the rest of it, although it slots in nicely.

Based on the clips, NLOTH is "adult contemporary" in the same way that TUF and JT were. Not horribly accessible songs, more of a rock that doesn't blend in with all other rock.

Of course, these days, groups like Radiohead, The Doves and, especially Coldplay, have some of that sound - but U2 has influenced them all. And as U2 have done this more atmospheric sound several times, it's clearly their twist on it.

As for GOYB, I still like it a lot and am glad there is a fun rocker within the context of the album, otherwise, it might be a bit dull. People may not like the song (too bad), but it's needed.

As for HTDAAB being Adult Contemporary, yes, there's some of that. But to me, the most Adult Contemporary album U2 has ever made was ATYCLB. That album was made for those stations.

We better end up hearing that amazing riff sometime in U2's career. It's def. not on the album, but hopefully it's Every Breaking Wave or Winter or something.

My biggest fear is that it was an early version of GOYB. The chords Edge plays where there would probably be a chorus sound kinda like the chorus chords in Boots...

Uhm, I'm pretty sure I don't belong in this thread quite yet :)reject:) but I asked this somewhere else and never got a reply from what I could see.

Have someone who has heard No Line On The Horizon been able to link all the U2.com clips (Adam Edge, Larry, Here Is What Is-trailer including the bit where Danny talks about U2 and Eno before the heavy riff kicks in) to the songs they probably ended up in by now?

1. Larry Drumming - Get On Your Boots
2. Green Tea - Get On Your Boots
3. Edge Back -
  • Acoustic jam/tuning: Gretsch White Falcon-guitar -?
  • Chord pattern: F#m, C#m, A, E, B, Bm - Magnificent
  • Led Zeppelin vs. The Fly - Stand Up Comedy
  • Classic Edge-delay riff - ?

4. Adam Bass - Get On Your Boots
5. The Couch - No music
6. Larry In Studio - ?
7. Eno's Keys - Breathe?
8. Adam Fans - Breathe
9. Larry Drums - ?
10. Motorcycle - ?
11. Larry Stuff - Stand Up Comedy
12. Nice Drive - My Mistakes Were Made for You by Last Shadow Puppets/ Intro of Kooks' All Over Town
13. Eno's Gels - Brief clip of a chord (Get On Your Boots?)
14. Edge Funk - ?
15. Dallas - White As Snow/Winter ?
16. Edge Red Drums - No music
17. Edge Put It Down - Magnificent
18. Sea and Sky - No music
19. Toilet Break - Breathe
20. Till Your Well Runs Dry - A capella cover
21. Father Brian Eno Drums - Magnificent
22. Gavin Board - No music
23. "No Line On The Horizon - Fez" - (Heavy riff again)? and ?
24. The Buzzard - I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight
25. Three Cities - Magnificent and Stand Up Comedy and I'll Go Crazy If I Don't Go Crazy Tonight and cello part for Breathe?
--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---
Here Is What Is, trailer 2007 via u2.com:
http://media.u2.com/flash/news/danny.swf

Instrumental 1(01:42-02:23) -
Lanois: It's kinda touching to know that you're still associated with people 25 years later as has been the case with Eno and U2. (etc...)

Heavy Riff-song (02:23-03:33) -
Lanois: How do you feel about the quality of our work right now? (etc...)

"Clapping" (03:33-04:00) - This is probablyTripoli (?)

"Chorus singing" (04:00-04:24) - Unknown Caller

Instrumental 2 (04:24-04:43) - ?
Eno: 3,2,3,4
Bono: To the D again.
Eno:1,2,3

EDITED to add: Thanks in advance!

Back
Top Bottom