Thoughts, reviews, opinions about WINDOW IN THE SKIES Here

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hope we end up looking upon WITS as a 'full stop' song. The end of something. We'll know when the new album comes out.

I've felt that way recently... especially the "to love I rhapsodize" line sounds like "we're going away to dream it all up again, but we'll be back in spectacular fashion. Dream out loud, fuck the past, kiss the future, et cetera, et cetera."

On the surface level, I enjoy the song. Catchy, uplifting, etc...

But if you begin to analyze it whatsoever, you realize how much of it was created in production. Musically there are hardly ANY variations in the core chord changes... most of the dynamism is achieved through layering on different effects, and not through song structure. If you strip those away, I'd say its actually a fairly weak song. When I realized how much was created in the production room, it pissed me off.

Then, I realized I still like it!

I've felt that way recently... especially the "to love I rhapsodize" line sounds like "we're going away to dream it all up again, but we'll be back in spectacular fashion. Dream out loud, fuck the past, kiss the future, et cetera, et cetera."

Pretty long bow to draw but fair enough

Love the video as well! This song was a slow grower , at first irritating as hell..probably because I strongly dislike the beatles and the beegees?! which is what it sounded like haha I appreciate it now and want to hear it live. word :up:

Cracking song, continued the brief obsession U2 seemed to have with Beatlesque piano-based song-writing. They probably could have really focused themselves and delivered an entire studio album that centered itself around such a sound and it would've been a fantastic part of the U2 canon. The naysayers would have bemoaned the fact that U2 weren't being "progressive", but at least it might have thrown up the realistic prospect of a tight and cohesive album, unlike the compilation of songs that was HTDAAB.

Had trouble liking the song initially. Was petrified at how much the song sounded like a song to end a band's career. The blasted Free-As-A-Bird style video didn't help either, and I thought that the band were gonna call it a day after U218. Got a wee bit paranoid.

This song could have had a much better life span and chance to grow, if it wasnt on a GH cd. I thought it should have been the lead single for U218, but obviously they opted to go with the Green Day single seeing as GD were on top of the radio airplay world at the time. I hope they play it live during the next tour, as its one of the best feel good songs U2 have.

Back
Top Bottom