This new best of scares me. Here's why.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shart1780

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Yes, it's a stupid, cash grabbing move, but that's not what bothers me so much.

I'm afraid that U2 is releasing this compilation so they can fulfill their contract. Why? Maybe because they're afraid they don't have a couple more albums left in the them. This reaks of those classic best of hits you see at CD stores all the time from classic rock bands.

I would not be suprised if we never see a Best of 2000-2010.

bathiu said:
...it's just a Best Of CD... :|
your wrong, the whole world if over, were doomed, people will never like the songs they orginally liked every again because of this!!!!!!!

KUEFC09U2 said:
your wrong, the whole world if over, were doomed, people will never like the songs they orginally liked every again because of this!!!!!!!

:lmao: :up:

...but seriously where all this drama is coming from? we're getting 2 new songs, there's probably something good, or at least "OK" for us on a limited edit. of this Best Of...
Seriously, the worst that could happen is that you'll have a nice CD to listen in your car...:shrug:

To Fufill the contract is the only reason they are doing this...

and for all we know that contract may expire at 2006's end...

So we aren't domed and shouldnt start building bomb shelters....cause there are such things as new contracts!.........

I'm having near-career death thoughts too.

The biography, the "definitive" Best of, the Sydney DVD and the plans to release Popmart DVD - it looks like big clean up before the end. Doesn't ther regular album contract expire with this Rubin album? (it used to be 6 albums but it got changed to 3 in 1998)

again nothing "offical" have been mentioned about popmart, just hearsay, people have been crying out for ZooTv to be put onto DVD for years, and the book has also been in the pipeline for quite sometime,

and why would they be planning on calling it quits when they have already said there new recording studio will be built soon?

also how the hell can someone be "selling out" when its a contractual obligation? no matter when its released? plus its not actually the band calling it there "definitive" best of, thats more down to the official site it seems

Last edited:
Not official but Bono, Larry and Adam have said Milan DVD is cancelled and that Popmart is the next DVD.

U2girl said:
Not official but Bono, Larry and Adam have said Milan DVD is cancelled and that Popmart is the next DVD.
i havent heard them say it? again even if true, its just a true progression anyway for a VHS to be turned into DVD, i wouldnt call it "cleaning" up, especially while its already on tape

Re: Re: This new best of scares me. Here's why.

I'm still wondering if that s*** contract for 3 Best ofs specified, detailed that each best of was going to be just a single CD or not (I'm talking about regular editions, not limited ones with B-sides). If it wasn't, I don't understand why on earth U2 cannot release 4 CD Set Definitive Best Of, including all their singles since 1979 onwards and many other memorable songs. That would be the only one way to make a serious and real DEFINITIVE Best of :heart:

If the contract just detailed that they must release a Best of, they could have determined the content of the release, the number of songs and discs on it :(

hola ponkine :wave:
its just a poor move to release best of no.3 in a relative short term between '98-2006. i cannot understand their decision. its x-mas time, they go on top of the charts they sell a lot and all the royalities they give to the poor people of africa, i bet...(ACHTUNG ironic sign on).
i would like better they do a maxi single release like they did with HMTMKMKM back in 1995 with the new song produced by rick rubin and the collaboration with green day. that would make far more sens imo.
but the next best of around the corner just for x-mas is sooooo lame and booooring :down:

jacobus said:

i would like better they do a maxi single release like they did with HMTMKMKM back in 1995 with the new song produced by rick rubin and the collaboration with green day. that would make far more sens imo.

Hi mate :wave:

I was thinking the same thing: If the new compilation already stinks for most of U2 fans :yuck: even without knowing the tracklisting, with not releasing The Saints Are Coming and the New song as Maxi Single instead? :up:

It could have much more sense and the fans wouldn't be against that I think :yes:

Also, U2 already cancelled U2 By U2 deluxe edition for this nonsense called "Definitive" Best Of, they should cancell this piece of s*** right now :up: and leave the fans alone. They should stop squeezing fans pockets. It's too much, the Zoo TV Sydney DVD, U2 By U2 Book ... and now they want us to buy this bulls*** with the same songs from the previous Best ofs?

:banghead:

well you dont have to buy it then do you? so why get worked up over something they arent forcing you to do?

didn't bono say last year that "there might still be a couple of great albums left in this band"?

U2Man said:
didn't bono say last year that "there might still be a couple of great albums left in this band"?
not worth it mate, people will not start talking about how the band is calling it quits etc, i think this happens after every recent release

shart1780 said:
Yes, it's a stupid, cash grabbing move, but that's not what bothers me so much.

I'm afraid that U2 is releasing this compilation so they can fulfill their contract. Why? Maybe because they're afraid they don't have a couple more albums left in the them. This reaks of those classic best of hits you see at CD stores all the time from classic rock bands.

I would not be suprised if we never see a Best of 2000-2010.

Why can't people just be happy that they are releasing something? you wouldnt complain at all if they didnt release anything! And your still getting a new song. All this complaining about U2 being a sellout or how it sucks or whatever is kinda sickening especialy coming from a "fan" forum. This almost looks like its a forum of U2 haters! It seems like never ending complaining, seems like negative all the time! Can never be positive! Its getting to the point wher I am considering leaving this forum all together!

KUEFC09U2: well you dont have to buy it then do you? so why get worked up over something they arent forcing you to do?
omg same procedure everytime: i write that i question the inflationary release of socalled best of albums and you post back that i don't have to buy the phenomenous ;-) (best of)album.
do you know what? i don't buy such kind of sellout...okay?
i also wrote in my post that a maxi-single would have made more sense to me. open your eyes and better don't do any mis-interpretation.:coocoo:

Re: Re: This new best of scares me. Here's why.

dabiggestu2fan said:

Why can't people just be happy that they are releasing something? you wouldnt complain at all if they didnt release anything! And your still getting a new song. All this complaining about U2 being a sellout or how it sucks or whatever is kinda sickening especialy coming from a "fan" forum. This almost looks like its a forum of U2 haters! It seems like never ending complaining, seems like negative all the time! Can never be positive! Its getting to the point wher I am considering leaving this forum all together!

Well, I'm usually one of those who try to push things up when bash is getting abusive, but this news make me join that group.

Of course fans are not happy. Fans are not stupid sheeps who don't understand a thing about marketing and "how to put some more cash in publishers lockcase?".

Re: Re: Re: This new best of scares me. Here's why.

Aygo said:
Of course fans are not happy. Fans are not stupid sheeps who don't understand a thing about marketing and "how to put some more cash in publishers lockcase?".

Well said.

I really don't get everyones frustration.

1: From the sounds of it the new song will be a single, probably released via Itunes and through stores, most likely the same way Electrical Storm was promoted, a single and on the best of. This is for the existing fan base.

2: Yes its a cash grab for both U2 and Universal, who cares, they are ending a huge world tour so why not end it on a high with a few big xmas releases, dvd/cd/book. Remember after this they will be working on the new album, so there should be some quiet time in the U2 world for a while.

3: This move is aimed purely at getting new fans. Existing fans have option one.

4: The most important thing here is, and I dont know why people are not putting more emphasis on it. What will the new song sound like. It will give us a big indication on what direction the band is taking for the new album. Isn't this worth more discussion than all the complaining.

5: Don't take this all so personally. The band are not trying to disrepect their fans or their credibility as artists. They've done that already with the last two albums:) [insert sarcasm]

Re: Re: Re: This new best of scares me. Here's why.

Aygo said:

Well, I'm usually one of those who try to push things up when bash is getting abusive, but this news make me join that group.

ALl I have to say though is if you don't like the idea or the album then just don't buy it. Simple as that. Its your money its your choice, they are not forcing anyone to buy it or putting a gun to your head. I don't see the need to complain so much. And as for the new song, it will be avaialble for d/l i bet even before the cd comes out. It usualy leaks one way or another.

Sken said:
5: Don't take this all so personally. The band are not trying to disrepect their fans or their credibility as artists. They've done that already with the last two albums:) [insert sarcasm]

Ha!

Sken said:

4: The most important thing here is, and I dont know why people are not putting more emphasis on it. What will the new song sound like. It will give us a big indication on what direction the band is taking for the new album. Isn't this worth more discussion than all the complaining.

Yes, I'd much rather see at least someone talking about this...!

There cannot be a "definitive best of" until the band have finished recording new material.

Also, I think "best of" & "greatest hits" are two different things.

Sken said:

Finally!

Back
Top Bottom