This is almost certainly the first part of a two-part final release

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeeLoganRun

The Fly
"Songs of Innocence" - the album about being young men, specifically young Bono
Then sometime later
"Songs of Experience" - an album about being middle-aged, wiser men, specifically middle aged, wiser Bono.
Then they call it a day

Bet on it.

Unfortunately, that does seem fitting and a pretty cool way to go out. But hey, let's enjoy the ride then. :)

They're not done. This album proves they are still having fun.

Believe it or not, I posted that before I read Bono's blog about and upcoming album called SOE. Wow.

Bono: Stay Tuned for Another U2 Album, 'Songs of Experience'

While we're all still getting our first listens to U2's new album, Songs Of Innocence, Bono says to be on the lookout for another album called Songs Of Experience.

That's from a letter to U2 fans posted a short time ago on U2.com where Bono basically re-introduces the band after the long hiatus between albums. In addition to talking about today's album release, he says we can expect a second album (while also admitting that he's said that in the past):

We're collaborating with Apple on some cool stuff over the next couple of years, innovations that will transform the way music is listened to and viewed. We'll keep you posted. If you like Songs of Innocence, stay with us for Songs of Experience. It should be ready soon enough… although I know I've said that before…

You might recognize the titles from your high school literature classes: There's a famous book of poetry by William Blake called Songs of Innocence and of Experience.

There's been talk for years about this idea of a pair of "sister" albums, and now it seems that's actually going to happen. Remember, too, that right before the Oscar Awards, Bono said there would be two new U2 albums.

I'd like to be surprised with a 3rd part to the series... Songs of Ascent

I said elsewhere with the theme of Invisible and the quotes around that time about looking back on their origins, all I could think of was R.E.M.'s Collapse Into Now. That album featured bits and pieces of all the sounds R.E.M. made throughout their career and quietly turned out to be their final album. That's what I was worried about. But now that I've heard it this sounds like a restatement of purpose, not a swan song.

Actually I'm not going to get drawn into this - we have a new (great) record & that's all that matters right now.

Jesus every album every tour always has to be their last, can't we just go along with it? I don't think they are done, not by a long way,

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

It seems sensible and logical that this is true. It's just a matter of delays and re-writes now.

It seems sensible and logical that this is true. It's just a matter of delays and re-writes now.

Why does it? I don't get all this because they are a certain age they have to stop never makes sense to me

They sound like there having far too much fun on this album to call it a day anytime soon,even Larry seems into it!

Sent from my HTC One using U2 Interference mobile app

Interestingly, The Fly is a poem from Blake's Songs of Experience. I'm seeing a pattern with Bono and Blake that I initially didn't think was thematically pervasive as it's turned it to be. But it's all there... Beautiful Ghost/Songs of Innocence, Jerusalem at Glastonbury, The Fly, Boy to man, Innocence and Experience. It's all there. Given Bono's Christian beliefs, the Blake fascination is hardly surprising. But the bands consistent theme of lost Innocence just brings it all into sharp relief.

The deluxe edition info all sounds kinda vague. Could they be prepping "Songs of Experience" for Oct 14th??? This would be an incredible move as it would guarantee a high chart debut...

The deluxe edition info all sounds kinda vague. Could they be prepping "Songs of Experience" for Oct 14th??? This would be an incredible move as it would guarantee a high chart debut...

I'm wondering that myself...things are happening fast and loose in regards to the way they usually do things...could be interesting in the next few months!

I'm not holding my breath, but that would be unreal.

Remember when we were so excited to get to listen to one new song Ie invisible? Now we got a new album and soon we will hear two more new songs plus the alternates plus a possible new album again! After the 5.5 year dry spell, this is amazing!

Gotta say that would be SOOOOO cool! And really an incredible idea. Give everyone the first album free and get huge buzz going. Bring in new listeners and bring lost fans back into the fold.

Then BAM! Release SOE at the same time they release the physical release of SOI. Anyone that like SOI will undoubtedly buy SOE!! Which as you say would make a big chart splash.

Would be incredible. I actually think it would make sense to get them both out before the tour, cause if not, we're probably looking at a few years

I honestly believe that after SOI and SOE and the 2 year tour that will associate with both, there will be another album/tour cycle toward the end of the decade. That might be when they call it quits. 2020. 40 years since their first album. The band members will be at or close to 60. Seems like the right time to end it.

However, as long as everybody stays healthy, I can still see them being somewhat active throughout their 60s. 60 isn't what it used to be. My parents are approaching 60, and they and their friends are having the time of their lives right now! I know band members have said 60 is the ideal cutoff, but they'll probably get there and realize that they still feel fine and ready… ready for what's next.

But yeah, I'm mainly focused on this current amazing album right now. Hopefully in a month U2 start making the promo tour rounds, do some more interviews, and elaborate a little more on what their plans are. Getting so excited about the TOUR!!!!!

I believe Soe is coming, but it would be incredibly foolish to release it this October.

Soi needs its moment in the sun. These 11 songs need to be heard, understood, enjoyed. A few of THESE songs need to be singles and fight for radio play.

It would make much more sense to release Soe next year, a few months into the tour, to reinvigorate the tour and remind people about U2. The don't need that right now.

I believe that the physical cd could be a true double album. And U2 just decided to release the first half only! I think releasing it as a double album would be better then releasing soe as a seperate one and thus taking away from soi as nicemen mentioned.

I believe Soe is coming, but it would be incredibly foolish to release it this October.

Soi needs its moment in the sun. These 11 songs need to be heard, understood, enjoyed. A few of THESE songs need to be singles and fight for radio play.

It would make much more sense to release Soe next year, a few months into the tour, to reinvigorate the tour and remind people about U2. The don't need that right now.

This. And I doubt they would give it away for free, either.

One variation is that they release the next album right before the tour starts; there might be a good 7+ months between last week and the first night. The public does have a short attention span, and that's still time to have a couple more singles released from SOI.

Another is that it's released in-between legs. If they make two passes through the U.S. as usual (even more likely if it's arenas), it could come out before they return to give the setlists some freshening up.

I believe that the physical cd could be a true double album. And U2 just decided to release the first half only! I think releasing it as a double album would be better then releasing soe as a seperate one and thus taking away from soi as nicemen mentioned.

I've considered this as well. Next to NOBODY is going to buy SoI when it's released physically in October. Unless they say "oh yeah, there's also a 2nd album in there!" Then everybody will come running. It'll be another headlines grabbing technique, and send the fan base into another frenzy for the 2nd time in as many months.

However, I kinda wish they'd space out SoE a little bit and let SoI stand on it's own for awhile. But whatever, I'll take what I can get while I can get it! Cause after this era is over, there's just gonna be more of what we just came off of… years of rumors, waiting and speculating… (shudders)

I think we can expect Songs of Experience after Q1 2015. I don't think they're going to release anything else this year, which is perfectly fine. Give Songs of Innocence some time to settle down.

I love all the things we hear all the time around here that it would be incredibly foolish for U2 to do. It would be incredibly foolish for U2 to not take advantage of all the "Superbowl hype" and announce the record then, it would be incredibly foolish not to announce the album on Jimmy Fallon, it would be incredibly foolish to make a record of mainstream pop songs, it would be incredibly foolish for them to partner with Apple again, it would be incredibly foolish to not put invisible on the record, it would be Incredibly foolish for them to try to keep being the biggest band in the world....etc., etc., etc.

I've been skeptical myself in the past, but at this point I think they know what they're doing.

It's not vague at all. They have announced the 4 bonus tracks. The only vagueness is how many acoustic tracks, 5 or 7. That's it.

If they did drop SOE on 13 October, it would be totally independent of SOI.

On that note though, I don't think it would be a stupid move at all. They've basically resigned this album to poor charting because of the release methodology. They don't care. They are well aware if the boost the back catalogue has received, and they will take that to mean new fans. It wouldn't be the stupidest thing, maybe in November, to say - following the free album, here is part 2 - ride the wave and get the buzz churning. They won't though.

Back
Top Bottom