Things you DO and DON'T wanna hear on this album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Some people should go and make an album themselves, there they can put on everything they want and leave out anything they don't want. U2 can do whatever THEY feel like doing. I don't want U2 to NOT be U2. If I want another band, I go and listen to another band. I have no wishes for the album, I'm totally open to everything that may come. When I have it in my hand I'll decide which parts I like and which parts I may not like so much.

Some people should go and make an album themselves, there they can put on everything they want and leave out anything they don't want. U2 can do whatever THEY feel like doing. I don't want U2 to NOT be U2. If I want another band, I go and listen to another band. I have no wishes for the album, I'm totally open to everything that may come. When I have it in my hand I'll decide which parts I like and which parts I may not like so much.

:up:

Do: CANCEL BIG WANNA-BE-U2-CLASSIC-BUT-TURNED-OUT-TO-BE-A-BIG-FUCKING-EMPTY-CHEESY-U2-CLICHé-:CITY-OF-BLINDING-LIGHTS

Don't: WRITE SONGS LIKE: BIG WANNA-BE-U2-CLASSIC-BUT-TURNED-OUT-TO-BE-A-BIG-FUCKING-EMPTY-CHEESY-U2-CLICHé-:CITY-OF-BLINDING-LIGHTS

Do: CANCEL BIG WANNA-BE-U2-CLASSIC-BUT-TURNED-OUT-TO-BE-A-BIG-FUCKING-EMPTY-CHEESY-U2-CLICHé-:CITY-OF-BLINDING-LIGHTS

Don't: WRITE SONGS LIKE: BIG WANNA-BE-U2-CLASSIC-BUT-TURNED-OUT-TO-BE-A-BIG-FUCKING-EMPTY-CHEESY-U2-CLICHé-:CITY-OF-BLINDING-LIGHTS

:lol:

Newsflash: The album is probably 99.99% finished. All the fans whining all this time, the point is moot. Having these wants and want-nots is just wishful thinking that's far too late for the band to make extreme changes. Unless you want to wait another 5 years.

This is just MHO. I've been holding out my thoughts on this thread subject, because I think this thread is ridiculous.

Next time, fans should bitch about their idealized U2 album they'll make when they're 80.

:|

Last edited:
:hmm: I think it's just a general hey, what would you like to hear, what not. I'm pretty sure we're all aware that what we type here will have no effect whatsoever on the album.

Do:
darkness (Wire, Indian Summer Sky, Bullet the Blue Sky, Exit)
great lyrics (Luminous Times)
improvisation (Elvis Presley & America)
a grand-scale guitar solo

Don't:
falsetto
All Because of You

Newsflash: The album is probably 99.99% finished. All the fans whining all this time, the point is moot. Having these wants and want-nots is just wishful thinking that's far too late for the band to make extreme changes. Unless you want to wait another 5 years.

This is just MHO. I've been holding out my thoughts on this thread subject, because I think this thread is ridiculous.

Next time, fans should bitch about their idealized U2 album they'll make when they're 80.

:|

Newsflash: The band isn't making any changes based on anything posted here, regardless of when in the process it's posted.

Newsflash: The band isn't making any changes based on anything posted here, regardless of when in the process it's posted.

You really think Bono and co don't care what we say here?

OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My life has no purpose now!

:sad:

Do: release a record the band have laboured over for ages and poured their soul into when they don’t “need” to make another record for any other reason than to push their own limits.

Don’t: read the forums after 12 months of the album being out.

With the first few months being full of “fans” saying it is a masterpiece and U2’s best work to date. Then as time slides by these same fans will jump on the negative bandwagon and bang on about why the album isn’t all that great. They will say which song should have been on it, what order it should have been in, why certain songs should be dropped live (although this has nothing to do with the album in question), they will attack the lyrics, the mixing, if it is considered pushing new boundaries, they will attack songs as being boring or MOR, they will want more edge, blah blah blah….…

Ah the joy of being the one that doesn’t lay it on the line for others to rip into.. But then if more albums are released

:hyper: you will get people saying that they love the record again (Pop i'm looking at you)..

Tracklisting...

Do: Put some of the best songs on the 2nd half of the album (Fly, UV on AB; Gone on Pop; Bad on UF). An album can't be considered great if there is a 2nd half drop-off

Don't make the first single the first track on the album

Tracklisting...

Do: Put some of the best songs on the 2nd half of the album (Fly, UV on AB; Gone on Pop; Bad on UF). An album can't be considered great if there is a 2nd half drop-off

Don't make the first single the first track on the album

i agree. i believe both ATYCLB and HTDAAB suffered from this.

Fuck Mercy.

Give me 12 songs better than that classic U2-on-autopilot example.

Don't do cheesy songs/lyrics like Yahweh or Elevation (although the latter is probably refuted by Get Your Boots On).

Want:
Clarity
Creativity
Concept
Depth
Emotion
Un-inhibition (is there a word for that?)

Don't want:
No mid-tempo sludge. Think Stuck in a Moment
No gorgeous songs muddied and destroyed by overproduction. Think Original/Species
No songs that aren't truly finished until played live. Think all those great versions of songs (or sections of songs) you heard live and pondered "if only" they had recorded that on the record.

Don't: put cringeworthy, album-wrecking songs onto the tracklisting. For me, the prime example of this would be Peace on Earth and Grace on ATYCLB.

Do: allow for a bit (but not too much) of playfulness/fun on the album. The last couple have sorely lacked this (Elevation aside), but the likes of GOYB and Crazy Tonight give me hope.

I would like them to take everyone by surprise. It's now 2009 and we're fastly approaching another decade. I want something fresh and distinct from everything else out there atm. If U2 can appeal to a wider audience with this album, that would be great. They basically need to impress. (Not much pressure then...)

Back
Top Bottom