They're in the studio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wondered where I'd heard Bono mention 'molten metal' before, and remembered it was actually in reference to Silverchair, a quote from him about how great their Diorama album was. Anyway, I'm sure this isn't what U2 are making, or even close, but might help a few of you get an idea of what Bono is maybe thinking of when he says 'molten metal', especially in the way he's describing Edge's heavier guitar and how it might work with more tuneful songs, or 'eastern' sounds, or even trance/beat driven stuff:

Sort of monumental, orchestral songs. 'Big' songs...

Luv Your Life: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h6VGXQ6tC0A
Across the Night: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7dGlFgw12I
Greatest View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-pFC8nj0uw

And more recently with more of an electronic background:

Straight Lines: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79DrGah0GuY

Of those, the two I can imagine U2 doing anything even remotely similar in sound are Luv Your Life & Straight Lines, and it would only be in parts. Just those huge bursts of sound in Luv Your Life, or the electronic tinged building of Straight Lines, moving straight into an all out rocker - those are things I could imagine in a U2 song, or coming from U2.

Interesting though that that he's mentioning this stuff - specifics of sound, not just fluffy energy stuff.

Molten Metal? :hmm:

Skip to 3:00 of "Here Is What Is" trailer... I think I may be on to something :hyper:

One can only dream...

Based on Bono's description of HTDAAB (Punk Rock from Venus), and the current description of the new album (Molten Metal), it is clear that the next album is J-Pop.

would you mind telling me what you mean by J-Pop??? are you saying a cross between JT and Pop?

FullonEdge2 said:

I second that thought.

Does anyone else feel that first riffage sample has a led zeppelin quality to it?

definitely. it reminds me of Whole Lotta Love (then again, that's technically a Small Faces song... :wink: )

Like I said, I bet we'll get at least one song on the new album that at least vaguely fits Bono's description of "molten metal."

Silverchair "Across the night" = Orgasmically good music. Can't get enough of that entire album. The fact that they might take inspiration from that album gives me hope.

Dorian Gray said:

now I'm intrigued.. what are you thinking of?

Not sure. Seems like there was another Lanois clip with a trippier riff. And folks around here were even debating whether the guitar player was Edge or not. I just remember a lot shot of a guitar player.

Didn't Daniel Johns from Silverchair give Bono a listen to the demo of Young Modern when U2 were down there last? Straight Lines is awesome and I could see U2 doing something similar.

Slipstream said:
Didn't Daniel Johns from Silverchair give Bono a listen to the demo of Young Modern when U2 were down there last? Straight Lines is awesome and I could see U2 doing something similar.

Straight Lines sounded awesome coming from Silverchair, but if U2 were to have their own "straight lines" it'd be pretty ordinary.....because Straight Lines is a song that owes a lot to the influence of U2 in the first place

bazza said:
u2 create the future they dont follow (esp Silverchair)

No, I wasn't suggesting that. I just brought up the silverchair example because I had heard Bono describe them as 'the molten heart of metal' before and thought it was therefore relevant for those who were wondering what the hell Bono might be thinking of musically when he says 'molten metal'.

Jesus Christ, I hope they don't.

Silverchair may be the most talented and innovative mainstream Australian band at the moment (though I'm not a fan), but I really don't want U2 to come out of some rad exotic place like North Africa and make music like them. And I can't see it happening.

(No spliff jokes!)

Last edited:
The Sad Punk said:
Gee, is that newish Thirsty Merc song the worst thing in the world ever or what?

I haven't heard them, but with a band name like that, their music has simply got to suck.

Wouldn't say Silverchair are necessarily innovative, more investigative.

Only the bland Aussie acts tend to get commerical radio play (Higgins, Thirsty Merc, Powdefinger), Gotye is one bloke who pushes the envelope a bit, while the awesome Josh Pyke writes catchy, acoustic-based songs, that are defy what you'd normally expect from an acoustic artist. Cat Empire are also talented songwriters, if not eveyone's cuppa tea,

Well, I listened to several songs from Silverchair (Straight Lines, etc..) and I have to say:

WHAT A BUNCH OF MANUFACTURED SOFT-POP CRAP !!!

Has everybody who likes this band here lost their mind comparing this "16-year-old-girly-pop(puppy)-tunes" with U2 ???

Or even suggest the sound of this band could be of use for hte new U2 album...:laugh:

...guess a lot of Bon Jovi-fans entered this forum....!

By the way:

ahittle said:

Not sure. Seems like there was another Lanois clip with a trippier riff. And folks around here were even debating whether the guitar player was Edge or not. I just remember a lot shot of a guitar player.

ahh yes... mystery solved.
alas, it is not Edge.
It is Lanois, and the track is 'Duo Glide" off his new cd, available from his website.

Dorian Gray said:

ahh yes... mystery solved.
alas, it is not Edge.
It is Lanois, and the track is 'Duo Glide" off his new cd, available from his website.

Thanks for the snooping. I dig that riff more than the Edge one...

You heard it from Dorian Gray: Daniel Lanois is molten metal.

The Sad Punk said:
Yeah, seriously.

Gee, is that newish Thirsty Merc song the worst thing in the world ever or what?

:no: It's arguably the most boring and predictable thing I've heard in quite some time. :yikes:

Back
Top Bottom