The Work with Rubin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Boom is great, but sometimes they overdo it with him live. C'mon, organ on Porch? Get out of here.

djerdap said:
Boom is great, but sometimes they overdo it with him live. C'mon, organ on Porch? Get out of here.

Haha. For sure. And oddly enough, they don't use him when they should, like in Corduroy when they jam it out. Or Rearview Mirror's frequent jam/freak outs.

Although he may have partaken in said jams.

And about Eno/Lanois getting writing credits this time, it may have to do with the falling out between the band and Eno a few years back. Am I right on this? Eno was a bit disgruntled that he hadn't received enough credit, or any at all on some major contributions he'd made to some songs.

pacemaker said:

Haha. For sure. And oddly enough, they don't use him when they should, like in Corduroy when they jam it out. Or Rearview Mirror's frequent jam/freak outs.

Although he may have partaken in said jams.

And about Eno/Lanois getting writing credits this time, it may have to do with the falling out between the band and Eno a few years back. Am I right on this? Eno was a bit disgruntled that he hadn't received enough credit, or any at all on some major contributions he'd made to some songs.

I think this cowriting thing is EXACTLY about that issue. It makes too much sense not to. U2 approaches Eno, Eno's like "I ain't working with ya until ya gimme some credits this time, niggas", and U2's like "well, fine...and then we obviously have to spread the love to DanLan".

Question is, what made U2 switch out of Rubin? Looked like they were going to do a full album with him.

It would be interesting, wouldn't it? POP is my favorite album of all time, so I would go in a total skeptic. But since we're floating on this fantasy, I'd have to say I don't think it couldn't be rad if that's what they did.

mofo82 said:
I don't know if I'm in the minority here, but if Eno & Lanois are as prominent on the album as I'm imagining, I'd love to have them full-out tour with the group, something we've never had before, that just might shake the whole bag of tricks up, whether it be setlists or arrangements to songs we all know SO WELL, *cough One, Pride cough*.:yes:

:up:

Sounds like a great idea, but one that would almost certainly never come to pass (save at a promo tour perhaps).

pacemaker said:

Yes, Eno wasn't happy about the credit given to him on ATYCLB. It didn't look different to me than any other U2 album done with the two of them but :shrug:

I think by now any credit given to Eno and Lanois is completely justified. Be it writing credits, increased influence on the direction and performance of the record, etc. they've had a hand in the vast majority of U2's success. I think tourig would be a stretch... not that it wouldn't be amazing to see and deserved, but the logistics of taking two prominent producers on tour for 2 years is too much of an obstacle. I wonder how much Eno and Lanois get paid just for a few week-long sessions... let alone a 2 year tour. Eno and Lanois will always be the men behind U2's success, but greater credit should be given where its due and the embrace of the two men in Fez and on the completion of the record after the problems during ATYCLB is nice to see.

Back
Top Bottom