the U2 country album

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Registered Dude

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Over the years, the band - Edge in particular - has often joked about releasing a country-western record.

As ridiculous as this sounds, I wonder if a U2-style country record would really be a bad thing.. and I don't mean nu country or pop country, or Rattle & Hum 2, but a record of stripped down, honest, poetic songs. Written by a mature band, who've lived and felt life's ups and downs.

after all, they've written some great tunes in this vein. I'm thinking of
Running to Stand Still, Slow Dancing, She's a Mystery to Me, IGWSHA, White as Snow.

and the Dalton Bros could once again open for them on tour!

my personal opinion is a loud "hell no", but i'm a bigger fan of their 90's sound, so...

my personal opinion is a loud "hell no", but i'm a bigger fan of their 90's sound, so...

ahh, but consider country music put through the "U2-sound" filter...

and you get, So Cruel, The First Time, The Wanderer, If God Will Send His Angels, Slow Dancing..

in other words, imagine an album with haunting, subtle textures, evocative sonic treatments, crossed with the stuff of country songs: grief, desperation, heartache.. :drool:

I have to vote no, as well, as much as I love all of the songs mentioned, and I think it would be a sound from U2 I'd personally enjoy for one album. So why am I opposed?

Perception. Bon Jovi has embraced the countrified route, in order to hold onto its aging fanbase. Could you imagine if U2 put out an album in this vein? The public would take it as proof that they no longer have anything new and relevant to offer, that they're no longer seeking young fans, it'd be taken as a sign they're just coasting.

It seems to be working for Bon Jovi, but no, I wouldn't want to see U2 do it. They're better than that.

I have to vote no, as well, as much as I love all of the songs mentioned, and I think it would be a sound from U2 I'd personally enjoy for one album. So why am I opposed?

Perception. Bon Jovi has embraced the countrified route, in order to hold onto its aging fanbase. Could you imagine if U2 put out an album in this vein? The public would take it as proof that they no longer have anything new and relevant to offer, that they're no longer seeking young fans, it'd be taken as a sign they're just coasting.

It seems to be working for Bon Jovi, but no, I wouldn't want to see U2 do it. They're better than that.

yes, I agree.. if u2 marketed it as "U2 goes country" than this would be disastrous..

BUT, if they made a quiet, simple album - maybe with Daniel Lanois - in the vein of Emmylou Harri's Wrecking Ball (produced by Lanois), I believe they could pull off something special.

I offer this as evidence, of a country song with the sound I'm describing.. (this happens to feature Larry on drums)

YouTube - EMMYLOU HARRIS-GOODBYE

yes, I agree.. if u2 marketed it as "U2 goes country" than this would be disastrous..

BUT, if they made a quiet, simple album - maybe with Daniel Lanois - in the vein of Emmylou Harri's Wrecking Ball (produced by Lanois), I believe they could pull off something special.

I offer this as evidence, of a country song with the sound I'm describing.. (this happens to feature Larry on drums)

great album and song. :up:

Yeah, I'm familiar with that whole genre, and I like it. In fact, there's currently a thread in Bang & Clatter about good country music that has some great artist recommendations.

Anyway, I suppose they could do it, and introduce it without the country label attached to it, they'd just have to be very, very careful marketing it. Still, just because they could do it doesn't mean they will. Bono seems so stuck on the idea of producing the perfect pop song these days, that I'm not sure a shift like this would happen within the U2 label. Maybe as a Passengers or Million Dollar Hotel-type side project?

That Emmylou Harris song is instrumentally gorgeous.

Danny Lanois is an absolute genius. I would trust him to do just about anything, and I doubt any "country" album he'd coax out of U2 would even resemble the shit they call country and play on the radio (including washed-up Bon Jovi).

Sounds like a Danny Lanois song, but I cringe when I hear the vocals kick in....

Honestly, it's not an awful idea, as long as the band either a) didn't take themselves too seriously, assuming they went all-out for it...think Dalton Brothers, but somewhat marketable, or b) DIDN'T go all-out, filtering a roots rock sound through Lanois production.

Yeah, I'm familiar with that whole genre, and I like it. In fact, there's currently a thread in Bang & Clatter about good country music that has some great artist recommendations.

Yes, anyone with an anti-Country bias should check my thread out: :wink: http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f221/country-music-thats-actually-listenable-203609.html

Any particular reason...?

Honestly? That's my unwilling reaction to most songs sung in a 'country' style. Not a choice of mine, just a reaction kind of like nails on a chalkboard for me.... I actually enjoy a spoken southern accent, and rock sung in a southern accent is just fine, so I dunno!

weird, strung out country flavors like Grateful Dead or the Stones' best would be pretty interesting with U2. Anything for me as long as they don't regurgitate the "look on the bright side of things" pop single for a 33rd time this decade.

weird, strung out country flavors like Grateful Dead or the Stones' best would be pretty interesting with U2. Anything for me as long as they don't regurgitate the "look on the bright side of things" pop single for a 33rd time this decade.

mmm yeah, U2's Beggars Banquet....:up:

NLOTH seems to have abandoned the "look on the bright side of things" kind of songwriting.. for the most part.. time is nigh for some sad-ass country music

YOOOOOOOOOOU, AH'M WAITIN' FOR YOOOOOOOOOOU
YOOOOOOOOOOU, YOU SET MAH DESIRES
AH TRIP THROUGH YER WIRES

In conclusion, no.

I could imagine something pretty special coming out of a partnership with Rick Rubin bearing in mind the work he did producing Johnny Cash's American series of recordings in the final years of Cash's life. Very honest down to the bone songs that move.

Rubin might be able to bring out some interesting stripped down sounds from them..

Willie Nelson's Teatro is another example of the sort of Space-Country music that I'm thinking of... can only find this song online, I'm sure some of you are familiar with it, but perhaps not this arrangement.

YouTube - Willie Nelson & Emmylou Harris - The Maker

Rubin might be able to bring out some interesting stripped down sounds from them..

Willie Nelson's Teatro is another example of the sort of Space-Country music that I'm thinking of... can only find this song online, I'm sure some of you are familiar with it, but perhaps not this arrangement.

Coincidentally, I played this album (Teatro) last night. Beautiful album. And Emmylou Harris!!! :drool: :combust:

And oh, a side note. Though you mentioned Rick Rubin and then Willie's Teatro, that last one was actually produced by none other than Daniel Lanois.

Coincidentally, I played this album (Teatro) last night. Beautiful album. And Emmylou Harris!!! :drool: :combust:

And oh, a side note. Though you mentioned Rick Rubin and then Willie's Teatro, that last one was actually produced by none other than Daniel Lanois.

yes, an amazing album..

I love Lanois' work with Willie.. I would love nothing more than to hear an album where U2 work with Danny, sans Eno. Nothing against Eno - just looking to hear something different.

I kind of love the idea, but I'm afraid it would be a disaster if they tried to sell it as an actual U2 album. Maybe they can pull a Passengers and call themselves the Dalton Brothers rather than U2 just for this one record.

Back
Top Bottom