The Troubles - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I really don't understand what you're saying at all. We KNOW that the retail versions of Soi will have more songs. And we know that after the second week of December iTunes will be selling those tracks as well. There's no question about this. This is how it is.

The only debatable point, as I see it, is whether the other 2 new songs will be on the same disc as tracks 1-11.

Again, if every CD of the album has the songs, will they not be album tracks?

It's nothing to do with being on the same disc. There are more songs. If they were a part of the album, when Bono announced the album at apple, he wouldn't have said "here is our new album" he would have said, here is a preview of our new album.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

They won't be album tracks. Just like NLOTH2 and Fast Cars weren't.

Neither of those were on EVERY CD copy. Neither were on the vinyl. But what if these 2 tracks are? If these two tracks are on all the copies which contain the final artwork? What about if in years to come the band refers to Crystal Ballroom as one of the songs on Songs of Innocence?

Surely, there has to come a point at which the sacredness of an advance digital release for Apple gets broken and we may have to admit there were 13 tracks on the album???

Until this conversation, it sincerely hadn't occurred to me that they might jettison these 2 tracks to disc 2. If they do, then I'm wrong. But if they don't? The Troubles will be track 11 of 13.

It's nothing to do with being on the same disc. There are more songs. If they were a part of the album, when Bono announced the album at apple, he wouldn't have said "here is our new album" he would have said, here is a preview of our new album.

Weren't you supposed to go to bed because you said your brain wasn't working????? :wink:

shooting-stars-handbags-ooooh-o.gif

iTunes doesn't sell CDs or LPs. If ALL CDs have the two extra tracks on them, will they not be a part of the album? And iTunes will have the additional songs 5 weeks later.

This is a free edition of the album with it's own cover and fewer tracks. The full version comes out in October. It's virgin territory. U2 has never given away a project like this before. It's not the same as adding a bonus track in Japan or England or something additional here and there.

We don't have long to wait. I may be wrong. I may be right. But you're certainly wrong for suggesting we know know what the CD will be like because of the free iTunes download.

I agree with this. They need incentive for people to buy the release next month, and a few remixes and acoustic tracks wouldn't do it. I believe the last two songs on the full album will be what we get next month, The Devils Hands and The Crystal Ballroom, and from the few mentions that exist of these songs in published reviews, they sound like legit parts of the album. Bono's description of The Crystal Ballroom being U2 playing in an old club in Dublin where couples used to go and dance, and looking down and seeing everyone there except his mother, doesn't sound like a throwaway track. The mention from one critic that his copy had The Devils Hands following The Troubles, and it was a hard, dark rocker, doesn't make it sound like a throwaway track.

Neither of those were on EVERY CD copy. Neither were on the vinyl. But what if these 2 tracks are? If these two tracks are on all the copies which contain the final artwork? What about if in years to come the band refers to Crystal Ballroom as one of the songs on Songs of Innocence?

Surely, there has to come a point at which the sacredness of an advance digital release for Apple gets broken and we may have to admit there were 13 tracks on the album???

Until this conversation, it sincerely hadn't occurred to me that they might jettison these 2 tracks to disc 2. If they do, then I'm wrong. But if they don't? The Troubles will be track 11 of 13.

They will be bonus tracks. They will forever have asterisks marking them as such. 1-11 is the "album," anything else are bonus/extra tracks.

As much as I love the song, this is one where I felt I would have tweaked it a little to try to improve it.

Many of us have mentioned letting Edge play it out at the end which seems obvious. I also would have let Bono sing the refrain in the final verse. I think it would have punctuated it that much more and been a vocal break from the repetition. The way he emotes I think would have really benefitted the song.

As much as I love the song, this is one where I felt I would have tweaked it a little to try to improve it.

Many of us have mentioned letting Edge play it out at the end which seems obvious. I also would have let Bono sing the refrain in the final verse. I think it would have punctuated it that much more and been a vocal break from the repetition. The way he emotes I think would have really benefitted the song.

Don´t think so, Likke Ly is just brilliant

This is the dumbest argument I've seen on Interference in quite some time, and that's saying something.

Bonus tracks are bonus tracks. They're outtakes.

When U2 did a "track by track" rundown for Rolling Stone, they didn't include descriptions of any extra songs. You wouldn't have all these publications reviewing an incomplete album that's supposed to have additional expression included.

Case closed. Give this shit a rest.

This is the dumbest argument I've seen on Interference in quite some time, and that's saying something.

Bonus tracks are bonus tracks. They're outtakes.

When U2 did a "track by track" rundown for Rolling Stone, they didn't include descriptions of any extra songs. You wouldn't have all these publications reviewing an incomplete album that's supposed to have additional expression included.

Case closed. Give this shit a rest.

that's the type of narrow-minded response that often results in people looking like fools afterwards. The truth is, we know NOTHING about what is actually coming out next month and how it will be released and what is "outakes" vs album cuts in U2's view. How about we wait and see? This is a discussion forum after all, aren't we here to discuss these sort of things?

THE BAND
WOULD NOT
RELEASE
AN INCOMPLETE
ALBUM

We do know something, and it's that an album was released last week. The band didn't say this was a work in progress. We have the digital booklet with liner notes, lyrics, and production credits. Only 11 songs are included.

We know the band likes albums with 11 tracks and have removed songs last minute before due to length (Atomic Bomb). Interviews/articles have said the physical release will include "additional" tracks. Do you know what the fuck "additional" means?

Saying that there are more tracks meant to be part of the album proper is about as rational as suggesting between now and Oct 13 they're going to rerecord the whole album with Chad Smith on drums.

It simply doesn't make any sense to have x2 further 'album' tracks added later. They'll either be marked as bonus tracks on Disc 1, or on Disc 2, most likely the latter.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Int

THE BAND
WOULD NOT
RELEASE
AN INCOMPLETE
ALBUM

We do know something, and it's that an album was released last week. The band didn't say this was a work in progress. We have the digital booklet with liner notes, lyrics, and production credits. Only 11 songs are included.

We know the band likes albums with 11 tracks and have removed songs last minute before due to length (Atomic Bomb). Interviews/articles have said the physical release will include "additional" tracks. Do you know what the fuck "additional" means?

Saying that there are more tracks meant to be part of the album proper is about as rational as suggesting between now and Oct 13 they're going to rerecord the whole album with Chad Smith on drums.

Other artists have released most of the album first on iTunes and the full version (with a couple of additional, actual album tracks) a month or so later. This is not odd, it does not mean the album was incomplete or still in progress, it is a new marketing strategy for releasing music in a new era. Bono and Apple also hinted that there are more releases through new ways of releasing and distributing music coming up soon. The old mentality of when and how you release an album is gone, U2 are just catching up to it. It is not surprising though that some fans have not caught up to it yet, it will be a transition. Check back next month.

Details on the physical release:

http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f196/soi-physical-release-tour-info-217189.html

- DELUXE EDITION: Limited Edition Double CD presented with gatefold cover. The disc will contain about a dozen additional songs. 4 Bonus Tracks, along with a handful of acoustic versions of songs from the album.
'Lucifer's Hands'
'The Crystal Ballroom'
'The Troubles (Alternative Version)'
'Sleepe Like A Baby Tonight (Alternative Perspective by Tchad Blake Mix)'

Can you read that clearly? BONUS TRACKS. Not part of the album any more than the "alt" versions of songs we already have.

Now give it a fucking rest.

Details on the physical release:

http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f196/soi-physical-release-tour-info-217189.html

- DELUXE EDITION: Limited Edition Double CD presented with gatefold cover. The disc will contain about a dozen additional songs. 4 Bonus Tracks, along with a handful of acoustic versions of songs from the album.
'Lucifer's Hands'
'The Crystal Ballroom'

Can you read that clearly? BONUS TRACKS. Not part of the album any more than the "alt" versions of songs we already have.

Now give it a fucking rest.

Wow, LOL!!! It's quite amusing how some people get worked up about these things. It's an overall exciting thought that we are getting so much great new music and you are getting yourself bent out of shape over people suggesting that there is more great music, and semantics regarding what defines an album in the year 2014 , which is quite different from what you think defines an album.

that's the type of narrow-minded response that often results in people looking like fools afterwards. The truth is, we know NOTHING about what is actually coming out next month and how it will be released and what is "outakes" vs album cuts in U2's view. How about we wait and see? This is a discussion forum after all, aren't we here to discuss these sort of things?

And you've hit at the heart of it. I walked into this conversation assuming that the rest of the songs would be on the same disc and be the continuation of the album. I thought people were forgetting this as they wondered why the song doesn't take more time to fade out.

Maybe my original comment was wrong. Maybe the new songs will be the equivalent of Salome and Lady with the Spinning Head rather than Acrobat and Love is Blindness.

But the spastic responses of certainty were just ridiculous.

We don't know and we won't know for a little bit yet. To think we know that there are only 11 tracks because that's all Apple gave us on 9/9/14 to accompany a white labeled version of the album with 9/9/14 on it is, nothing short of stupid.

To think we know that there are only 11 tracks because that's all Apple gave us on 9/9/14 to accompany a white labeled version of the album with 9/9/14 on it is, nothing short of stupid.

No, what's stupid is assuming a band would release a less-than-full version of an album to 500,000,000 people + journalists, and then tack on two already-finished songs onto it a month later.

And let's review for the people who have reading comprehension problems:

The album will be released on both CD format presentations
- STANDARD: Simple Edition with 24-page booklet with photos, lyrics. etc. ..

'Lucifer's Hands'
'The Crystal Ballroom'

So let me get this straight: the people who buy the standard version aren't getting the full album? Because that's only going to have 11 tracks.

By your logic, one has to buy the deluxe edition to hear the "real" album. Although it's not clear how Crystal Ballroom and Lucifer's Hands are part of the album but the alt. version of The Troubles and Sleep Like... aren't, because they're all listed as "bonus tracks".

Wow, LOL!!! It's quite amusing how some people get worked up about these things. It's an overall exciting thought that we are getting so much great new music and you are getting yourself bent out of shape over people suggesting that there is more great music, and semantics regarding what defines an album in the year 2014 , which is quite different from what you think defines an album.

Rough translation: I am embarrassed I was wrong, so I will attack your credibility and make you look petty.

Back
Top Bottom