The Troubles - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Everyone is on their A game with tho track. Best closer yet

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

The more I listen to this song, the more I'm okay with the solo at the end. Would have still liked it to go on a bit longer, but I think it works as is.

I'm also in love with this song after more listens... more like this please! :heart: As others have noted, the song cuts out way too soon, hope there's an extended version around the corner.

I'm trying to wrap my head around the meaning. I've read the liner notes of SOI. Whereas the other songs have pretty clearcut "flashbacks", this one not so much. :confused: It definitely harkens back to AB, in both theme and sound, and is a real refresher after the sound of the first half which I like to call "U2 Lite".

I wonder if the alternative version is the original version of the song before they decided earlier this year to change the key and have Lykke Li re-record her vocals.

Either way, best song on the album by far. I wonder what could have been if they had stuck to this kind of mood for the entire album.

My bet is that the alternate version might not have the Lykke Li vocals, but it's hard to guess what might be in its place.

i like this album a lot. certainly more than No Line.

my only regret is that they didn't trust Danger Mouse more... reason being is The Troubles, which I am absolutely in LOVE with, has instantly become one of my favorite U2 songs in a long, long time, and is exactly the type of song i was hoping for when I first heard about U2 and Danger Mouse teaming up together.

I can't say enough how much I'm digging this song.

Great Post. Love the album and I agree with the thoughts on Danger Mouse.

I love music that makes me feel something on a soul level. Man do I feel this song! The Troubles is absolutely my favorite track on SOI. I seriously can't stop listening to it! The lyrics and music are heart wrenching. It reminds me of TUF combined with LIB.

The more I hear it, the more I discover something new. I love how the song simmers just below the surface without going all out. The drums and strings at the beginning are beautifully eerie and haunting adding to the yearning of the song. I love the intimacy and honesty of the lyrics and vocals. Bono's voice--especially his falsetto--is at its best and absolutely gorgeous! I also love how Lykke Li's waif-like voice adds an element of innocence.

"God knows it's not easy
Taking on the shape of someone else's pain
God now you can see me
I'm naked and I'm not afraid
My body's sacred and I'm not ashamed."

Wow. Those are some powerful lyrics. The whole song makes me think of judgement, redemption and transcendence (or is it transmutation-not sure which is the right word. Or maybe it's both).

Imo, The Troubles is perfect and is classic U2. My only criticism is that I wish the guitar solo at the end was longer. I feel like it ended too soon-- it leaves me wanting to hear more!

Can't wait to see what they do with it live!

the more I listen to it, the more I'm convinced that on the full album coming out next month on CD, this will not be the album closer but will lead into "The Devil's Hands". That must be why it fades out so quickly on the iTunes version. Of course, then "The Crystal Ballroom" which Bono talked about already could be the album closer.

The moment I've heard a woman voice in the beginning, I thought "great", but I couldn't expect such a instant classic. This song it's beyond great, it's timeless because could have ended UF, AB or this record. Easy the greatest closer with Love is Blindness.

U2 at it's sinister mode best.

You're not my troubles anymore is actually one of the most bracing, chilling lyrics I've heard from Bono. He's always been the Grand lover of all, which is part of why haters hate.

Sent from my XT1058 using U2 Interference mobile app

I still consider Cedars of Lebanon to be the best album closer from the band.

man i thought i was the only one who thought that lol

LIB live > Cedars, though to be fair, Cedars never had a chance :(

i'd put Cedars, LIB, and WUDM above Troubles. maybe about on par with The Wanderer.

man i thought i was the only one who thought that lol

LIB live > Cedars, though to be fair, Cedars never had a chance :(

i'd put Cedars, LIB, and WUDM above Troubles. maybe about on par with The Wanderer.

Seconding COL being a criminally overlooked ending track.

Sent from my XT1058 using U2 Interference mobile app

the more I listen to it, the more I'm convinced that on the full album coming out next month on CD, this will not be the album closer but will lead into "The Devil's Hands". That must be why it fades out so quickly on the iTunes version. Of course, then "The Crystal Ballroom" which Bono talked about already could be the album closer.

Well, it's a fact. THIS IS NOT THE FINAL SONG. Even before we get into alternate versions and acoustic tracks, Songs of Innocence has 13 new original songs. This is not the final song. Everyone wondering why it fades out so quickly and doesn't do a big final track send off, there's a good reason for it:

This is only track 11 of 13.

Well, it's a fact. THIS IS NOT THE FINAL SONG. Even before we get into alternate versions and acoustic tracks, Songs of Innocence has 13 new original songs. This is not the final song. Everyone wondering why it fades out so quickly and doesn't do a big final track send off, there's a good reason for it:

This is only track 11 of 13.

Ugh. There are two BONUS tracks. If they were part if the album, they would have been released already. Same way Fast Cars isn't part of Bomb.

Ugh. There are two BONUS tracks. If they were part if the album, they would have been released already. Same way Fast Cars isn't part of Bomb.

No.

When you buy the CD, you can be sure that they will be a part of the album and expect all of the acoustic and alternate tracks to make up the next disc.

Hey, maybe I'm wrong. But I wouldn't assume it.

This is the free version of the album. I don't think it's even the real album cover.

We'll find out soon enough for sure.

No.

When you buy the CD, you can be sure that they will be a part of the album and expect all of the acoustic and alternate tracks to make up the next disc.

Hey, maybe I'm wrong. But I wouldn't assume it.

This is the free version of the album. I don't think it's even the real album cover.

We'll find out soon enough for sure.

Wow, you are stating an opinion with fairly low probability of occurring as if it's cold hard fact. Especially considering they have already stated that they are bonus tracks

Wow, you are stating an opinion with fairly low probability of occurring as if it's cold hard fact. Especially considering they have already stated that they are bonus tracks

Right, because whenever anyone uses the phrase, "Hey maybe I'm wrong" that's the definition of stating an opinion as fact. :wink:

Joshing aside, I would bet the October version of the album has a new cover (which doesn't feature the date 9/9/14) and we see more than 11 tracks on disc one.

Right, because whenever anyone uses the phrase, "Hey maybe I'm wrong" that's the definition of stating an opinion as fact. :wink:

Two posts ago you actually said it was a fact. I don't see how there is any ambiguity there...

Back
Top Bottom