The Troubles - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I wonder if the alternate version that's being released is a more radio friendly version. This song could and should be released as a single.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

It's not an inaccessible track the way it is now. If the alt. version is missing Lykke Li, then fuck that.

It's not an inaccessible track the way it is now. If the alt. version is missing Lykke Li, then fuck that.

Oh if they released a single or alt version without her I'd be pissed.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

It's a great song and when it gets to the "middle 8" belting out "God knows it's not easy" it goes up another notch

Sent from my SM-G900I using U2 Interference mobile app

I wonder if the alternate version is one of two things:

a) no Lykke Li or
b) rockier

I always thought it was a bit of a rollicking rock song from the beach clip - no reason to assume that, just thought I could hear that from the beach clip. I was kind of bummed when it started first time through.... until I heard the vocals kick in

It is so achy, bitter and emotional song that I burst into cries when I first listened. I think it is one of the best slow song after Sometimes You Can Make It on Your Own and Love is Blindness.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

I guess when they do this live they could have the Lyyke Li vocals represented by her on a video screen?

I guess when they do this live they could have the Lyyke Li vocals represented by her on a video screen?

Or some other woman... or the Edge... or maybe skip those lyrics entirely. I know that even whiteout her, I'd like to hear the song at least once live.

Lyyke Li mentioned in an interview that she had earlier (about year and a half from April 14) recorded a version in different key.

I agree this won't be any special without her vocals

This song could have made it in my Top 3 if it wasn't for the abrupt fade out at the end. :|

I still consider Cedars of Lebanon to be the best album closer from the band.

This song touches very deeply if you can relate to the lyrics.

I didn't think it ended abruptly although an extended solo would make it even more fascinating. ☺️

Amazing addition to the U2 library, I didn't see this one coming at all. So subtle, so beautifully written, so restrained yet achingly beautiful. And a perfect mix with Lykke Li.
I must admit I do wish the second verse had the whole band come in and really drive it, it's just such a powerful mood and chord progression. Live, if they really amp up the power as the song progresses, this could be the high point of the next tour.

Absolutely beautiful, my favorite song on the album. This song embodies what I imagined a U2 album produced by Danger Mouse would sound like. The rest of the album rocks harder than I expected (which is not a bad thing). It would be great if there were more like this on the next album, or the one after that.

Such a gorgeous song, strong lyrics.... great closer. This has been my most played track so far, and it's been stuck in my head all day! Lykke Li really helps make the song, and Bono's falsetto is perfect!

Back
Top Bottom