The Troubles - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
bliss, perfect closer

really love the extra vocals too - just stunning :heart:

Favorite song on the album. Really curious to see/hear how this will be performed live.

i imagine we'll get an extended solo ala Love is Blindness. and the crowd will be singing Lykke Li's part.

this song definitely grows on me the more I listen to it. Honestly, I think it could be a single, though to be honest I think for the first time in their career U2 managed to make an album where literally every song could be a single.

"The Troubles" feels very now. If you took away the artist name and had someone who hadn't memorized Bono's voice listen to this song, they'd think it was some new hip indie band. Way to go Danger Mouse

I interviewed Lykke Li an hour after the album was released, and I'll be sharing some of the u2-related stuff on Twitter tomorrow. I'm @RomiTheWriter. The interview had already been scheduled for a few days, so it was just serendipity that I could ask her about U2.

Best song so far for me. Lykke Li was an inspired choice, great singer/artist.
U2's are masters at album closers (ok, Yahweh apart) and this is up there with the best.

Amazing song. The rhythm section has the same kind of feel as Grace, only the song is ten times better. The way Bono belts "But you're not my troubles any more" is amazing!

I hear a an early 70s soul vibe in the song - what they where striving for probably in AMAAW but didn't quite hit the mark. Love the song and agree with a previous post that we will probably see an epic Edge solo ala LIB to close the song live

I hadn't read the notes or anything about this song, so when I heard the female vocals I thought "oh damn they did everyone else in music and went with a 'ft. Rihanna' ;)

A heavy mofo of a song. I love it. Purposeful singing by Bono. I way prefer this to his high register thesedays.

Kind of like Cedars Of Lebanon turned up to 11.

Shame this song doesn't have the climax it deserves. If it didn't end too soon, it would be one of my favourites on the album. Instead it just... ends underwhelmingly.

I can only hope it gets a run live and becomes something amazing with Edge working his usual magic.

Why would they fade it so fast? Sometimes I really wonder what these guys are thinking?!?! It's the last song on the album so why not let the guitar go on for awhile longer. There is absolutely no reason to fade it that fast. Hopefully live it will extend to it's deserving end.

Why would they fade it so fast? Sometimes I really wonder what these guys are thinking?!?! It's the last song on the album so why not let the guitar go on for awhile longer. There is absolutely no reason to fade it that fast. Hopefully live it will extend to it's deserving end.

Reminiscent of WOWY. I think we forgave them for that, so there is hope.

I'll be curious to see if the alternate take keeps the fade in (or actually, rather, where it takes the song altogether).

And also maybe they didn't want it to become a 7-8 minute monolith like MOS. Keep the studio version short and sweet and go mega on the live version.

It could easily be the closer for the upcoming tour. A no-brainer perhaps.

2nd or 3rd listen earlier today whilst reading Bono's notes / thank you's - quite overwhelming emotionally.. it's been a while since U2 made me have one of those moments.. just awesome.

I've listened to it 15 times now and I'm completely spellbound. It's just soooooo good. Favourite track for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

i like this album a lot. certainly more than No Line.

my only regret is that they didn't trust Danger Mouse more... reason being is The Troubles, which I am absolutely in LOVE with, has instantly become one of my favorite U2 songs in a long, long time, and is exactly the type of song i was hoping for when I first heard about U2 and Danger Mouse teaming up together.

I can't say enough how much I'm digging this song.

Shame this song doesn't have the climax it deserves. If it didn't end too soon, it would be one of my favourites on the album. Instead it just... ends underwhelmingly.

I can only hope it gets a run live and becomes something amazing with Edge working his usual magic.

i really think this song is going to kill it live in a LIB kind of way. I don't mind that it's more subtle on the album, but the fadeout is a little too sudden - could have extended it for like 10 more seconds lol. but yea i'm thinking Edge will really bring this one to life live. could be a really powerful closer

Despite the title, this is a relationship song, not a political one. It's kind of surprising U2 of all people would use that title for a different topic, but it's not like they haven't written a number of songs on the topic, including Raised By Wolves on this very album.

my only regret is that they didn't trust Danger Mouse more... reason being is The Troubles, which I am absolutely in LOVE with, has instantly become one of my favorite U2 songs in a long, long time, and is exactly the type of song i was hoping for when I first heard about U2 and Danger Mouse teaming up together.

I am starting to wonder if the 'original Danger Mouse album' will be the new 'original album for NLOTH' argument on the boards. :lol:

But yeah, it will be interesting to see who produced the two extra tracks and the songs that will make up Songs of Experience though. If some of them are sole Danger Mouse productions or otherwise, then it will add a bit of substance to that argument for both sides.

Back
Top Bottom