The Thank You Eno For Album Version Of No Line On The Horizon Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Brian did an awesome job with the album version, sure, but he doesn't deserve all the credit. The whole band (by band, I mean band + Brian and Danny) are awesome in the track. I especially love Larry's drumming, and his bongos in the verses. :up:

Well, I love No Line on the Horizon (song); I've ranked it very high. And I do like v2. I also like v1. However, it seems to me, I wish that v1 and v2 would have met somewhere in the middle, combining the best aspects of both versions:

Speed up the tempo a bit
Keep much but not all of the atmospherics and ambiance from v1
Make edge's funky guitar riffs from v2 more prominent
I much prefer Bono's v2 vocal delivery, though some nice moments on v1 also
People seem to hate the ... "No! Line!" part but I loved it

Still glad we have both versions, wish there was a v3!! It is still one of my most favorite and enjoyable songs on the new album.

I am a fan of the No! Line! part in NLOTH2. I think the album version works better overall. I wonder what the version that Bono and Edge played for the USA Today reporter in early 2008 sounded like. From the description he gave it sounded interesting.

NLOTH has a sort of Zooropa-ish mood to it, more guitar-heavy of course, but that off-kilter strangeness is there, great to hear U2 can still do this kind of thing.

Brian did an awesome job with the album version, sure, but he doesn't deserve all the credit. The whole band (by band, I mean band + Brian and Danny) are awesome in the track. I especially love Larry's drumming, and his bongos in the verses. :up:

Oh the band is great, I'm just thanking Eno because if I remember correctly Bono was very excited about the "punk" version which I'm guessing is NLOTH 2. I can just envision Eno being like "No Bono, go away. We're using the version that doesn't suck."

okay as you can tell I have a bias against NLOTH 2...:wink:

Damn you Eno ...the album version sucks...was the band drunk or taking hits of acid?? :mad:
No wonder why they recorded the 2nd version later on..they were having second thoughts

Apart from the intro(the only thing worth keeping)...this should have went straight into version 2 which is the sound of a band playing ...not some cartoon song for kids on Saturday morning...put NLOTH2 on the album and this album would have been close to perfect

Not sure about cartoon song for kids...but I will agree that this song has a movie soundtrack feel to it, like the song playing during the opening credits, the opening credits of this adventurous album. That's why I LIKE IT!!!!

This one rocks so much more than 2. When that shit kicks in during the intro, it's like this glorious, beautiful and HORRIFYING OCEAN OF SOUND! And the pulse never lets up. The choruses are softer and, as a result, creepy and chilling, the perfect night and day result.

I can see how someone could call NLOTH 2 a more punkier, rockier version, because it features a more playable version, the sound of a garage band jamming out. However, to me, this is the cartoon song! The kids anthem! The intro sounds just like the beggining of Hillary Duff's song "Wake Up"

I reckon in the live setting that NLOTH will sound like a blend of these two...more guitar up front and less synth (but still noticeable, running throughout the tune in the background like Streets live). That said I love both myself, but lean more toward the album mix.

This one rocks so much more than 2. When that shit kicks in during the intro, it's like this glorious, beautiful and HORRIFYING OCEAN OF SOUND! And the pulse never lets up. The choruses are softer and, as a result, creepy and chilling, the perfect night and day result.

Agreed, also this song (IMO) fits Bono's "sci-fi rock 'n' roll" quote about HTDAAB when it was being recorded, which is interesting..

NLOTH2 is essentially the same thing over and over again for 4 minutes with a crappy bridge tossed in to break things up.

The album version of NLOTH is like a crazy roller coaster ride. It has some dips in tempo ("every night I have the same dream") only to kick right back in ("I'm a traffic cop"). The song has fantastic dynamics.

NLOTH2 is essentially the same thing over and over again for 4 minutes with a crappy bridge tossed in to break things up.

The album version of NLOTH is like a crazy roller coaster ride. It has some dips in tempo ("every night I have the same dream") only to kick right back in ("I'm a traffic cop"). The song has fantastic dynamics.

i love you.

cartoon theme? what? :lol:

I absolutely love this song. Second time through the album and this is my favorite song right now, though I'm sure that will change.

As I mentioned on another thread, I spit in NLOTH2's general direction. I wish I never heard that piece of garbage.

I absolutely love this song. Second time through the album and this is my favorite song right now, though I'm sure that will change.

As I mentioned on another thread, I spit in NLOTH2's general direction. I wish I never heard that piece of garbage.

Yeah agree...the album version is one of my favourite songs on the album at the moment.

When I heard this track, I knew I was entering something very, very special. First listen, it's my favorite track on the album. Of course, the album still needs more listens.

I still haven't heard NLOTH2; it's going to be REALLY hard to top that album version.

this song is wonderful, and it's easy to overlook.

for me, it does what Zoo Station did for Achtung Baby. it sets the mood for the album perfectly.

Sorry guys .. I really do prefer the NOLTH2 version:drool:
The NO .. LINE parts are indeed cool.
I like the drums more .... It sounds more complete to me.
I don't say i don't like the album version .....

It should be interesting to hear how they execute this song onstage, I can see them playing it more like the B-Side version. The album version gets it's power from the really heavy production and would be harder to do justice to live, IMO.

this song has probably grown on me the most. I knew it was wayyy better than NLOTH 2 from the start, but it was probably my least favourite track on the album ... now I don't know ... I love it :drool: love when it kicks in. So great

for me, it does what Zoo Station did for Achtung Baby. it sets the mood for the album perfectly.

:yes:

Anyone else reminded of The Fly on the guitar in the verses ?

Almost 24 hours later and it's still my favorite song on the album. I just can't get over how amazing this song is. For me, this is the song I've always heard in my head when I think about what U2 is and they were finally able to capture that in a real song. Awesome.

"You can hear the universe in her seashells, oh yeah!" - love that line.

:up: Exactly.

Except, there wasn't quite the 'WTF!" moment experience on my end when I already did that with Zoo Station. :wink: I wear a cup (jock strap) now when hearing new U2) :D

This version fits the album better, but I prefer NLOTH 2. I do like the album version a lot, but like a few of these songs there's something that just annoys the hell out of me.

At 2:50 in, the song slows into a quiet bridge with a beautiful whistling synth sound and a sweet, vulnerable, almost whispering vocal by Bono. And out of nowhere, at precisely 3:03, Bono repeats the "oh wo oh wo oh wo oh" thing. Nguh. Hey, I love it elsewhere in the song, but it doesn't belong HERE! Let the quiet ENDURE through the measure, so that spectacularly crashing reentrance into the song at 3:08 has more impact!!!

I know, a nitpick, but they really need to let me listen to these things before releasing them. :)

loved the 20 second clip of NLOTH
was my favourite one prolly
then NLOTH2 just didn't do it
felt flat, repetitive and cliched
the album version though - wow- brilliant

Back
Top Bottom