The Saints and Green Day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ponkine

Refugee
Hola amigos :wave:

I was wondering one thing:

Why The Saints will be released by U2 in U2 18?. I mean, U2 and Green Day recorded the song, but it seems Green Day have a little to do with the song now :(

Everybody's talking about "U2 song with Green Day", and it isn't even a U2 or Green Day Song :shrug:

The Saints Are Coming was a Skids single (Scottish punk rock - yes, a REAL PUNK ROCK :lol:- band who have a brief career) released in October 1978

I still don't know why this song will be released in U2 18. Everyone might think: Why Green Day don't release the song?. I can understand the single, because it says U2 and Green Day, but the inclusion of the song in U2 18 is pretty much stealing the song :eyebrow:

Also, the it is said the new song - Window In The Sky - were recorded with Green Day as well, but I don't know if this song were written by U2 or not. In the first case, it would be pretty obvious the inclusion in U2 18, because it's a U2 song ... but in the second case :shrug:

ponkine said:

Also, the it is said the new song - Window In The Sky - were recorded with Green Day as well, but I don't know if this song were written by U2 or not.

Where's the source of this information?
I've heard that it's a new 100% U2 song produced with Rick Rubin at Abbey Road?

Would be nice to see where you got the news from if you don't mind.
;)

It doesn't even say at the Interscope one-page sheet that it's recorded with GD.
RADIO
First single "The Saints Are Coming" a collaboration with Green Day shipped to radio 9/26.

Second single "Window On The Sky" will ship early November.

http://static.flickr.com/81/274566368_660c4a6cf2_o.jpg

Last edited:
I'll expect Green Day to put the song out in some form sometime down the line. Could be soon or it could be much later. 'The Wanderer' appears on a few Johnny Cash compilation albums.

As for Window On The Sky being with Green Day----my guess is that was just a mis-read. There isn't anything that says it has anything to do with Green Day.

i'm sure that U2 is only releasing the song, though financial compensation has already been worked out and agreed upon with Green Day.

:confused:

i thought u2 & green day weren't supposed to earn anything on this. no financial compensation should be considered.

U2Man said:
:confused:

i thought u2 & green day weren't supposed to earn anything on this. no financial compensation should be considered.

oh true. then i guess the only compensation they need is the good feeling inside from doing a good deed. maybe they negotiated how many good feelings go to each band member.

Yeah, but neither was The Hands That Built America. It was tacked onto 1990-2000 to advertise for a friggin' movie. At least Saints is advertising for a charity.

Because guess who makes the decisions on what songs make albums....yes I know its hard to believe but U2 makes those choices....They play the music they can decide to put whatever they want on the album, and if you dont like it go listen to another band and stop shitting on this band all the time.

One other thing against THTBA is that it was never a greatest hit...but made it on the Best Of album.

And it sucks. At least Electrical Storm was good. :wink:

I think that even the precedent of having a U2-written song designed to advertise for a crappy movie on a best of album allows for a U2 performance with better intentions to be allowed, whether it's their original song or not.

Looking back at other artists, we'll see that this is indeed something that has happened before---covers are not infrequently included on Greatest Hits albums. You may question the merit of some of these artists (I'm throwing Grand Funk in there again :wink: ), but here's a short list of artists who've tacked covers onto their Best Of albums:

1. Johnny Cash - "Hurt" by Nine Inch Nails
2. Grand Funk Railroad - "Gimme Shelter" by Rolling Stones
3. Aerosmith - "Come Together" by the Beatles
4. Rolling Stones - "Not Fade Away," a Buddy Holly song first recorded by Holly & on several Rolling Stones Best Of compilations
5. Beatles - "Baby It's You," a Burt Bacharach song originally recorded by The Shirelles....used on the Beatles album Please Please Me & on at least one Beatles Compilation album (The Early Beatles).

So, the fact that Saints is a cover doesn't bother me much. True, it's not just U2--it's also Green Day performing--but I bet if we dug enough we could find some similar instances of collaborations that made it to Greatest Hits albums. Quick list off the top of my head:

1. Johnny Cash - "The Wanderer," with U2
2. The Pretenders - "I Got You Babe," with UB40---both a cover and a collaboration, on a GH album

So..I don't think it's thaaaat terrible...:shrug:

Last edited:
OpperGoeroe said:
Though it's a good song I don't really get it why it has to be on a U2 best of.

That's what I think

The Saints has nothing to do in a U2 compilation :shrug:

It's a new single that generates interest for a compilation release.

Compilations are made to:

a) make more money
b) introduce people to a band

with a song by Green Day included, it does both.

Plus, the song doesn't suck. :up:

Headache in a Suitcase said:
my contact at universal told me window on the sky is a tie in with anderson's to promote their new line of storm proof window pane, which were, ironicly enough, created together by u2 and green day.

Oh, you know Bill, too! Say 'hi' to him for me--I haven't seen him in ages!

:wink:

U2Man said:

stop being rude, reggie, oppergoeroe makes a fair point.

- it has never been a u2 hit single.

- it is not even a u2 song.

Oh but I can't help myself sometimes...it so much more of the same in this forum.

I mean 'The Hands That Built America' and 'Electrical Storm' were not 'hits' before they were released on a compilation album...it's called marketing. Give the hardcore fans something by the band they've never had before on an album of songs they most likely already have.

I remember an album by the Pretenders called "Singles". It was a compilation of hit singles by the Pretenders. The LEAD OFF single from this album was a 'new song' called...'I Got You Babe', which:

1. Was NOT a song written by the Pretenders
2. Never a hit by the Pretenders
and
3. Not even performed by (the musicians in) the Pretenders on this album :ohmy:

But what I don't ever remember anyone complaining that Chrissie Hynde or the Pretenders ever sold out, or whatever the cry is regarding this new U2 album.

The music industry (which U2 is a part of) is not hard to figure out.

Probably a stupid question, so throw your tomatoes and abuse as gently as possible - If it's on the new CD will a portion of the amount raked in from sales (annually or other) be donated to Music Rising?

Not every song on U2's albums is a hit song. And it's not the first time U2 is putting out a collaboration or a cover on disc.

U2girl said:
Not every song on U2's albums is a hit song. And it's not the first time U2 is putting out a collaboration or a cover on disc.

But is the very first time they release a cover in a main Best Of :down:
(not considering B-sides disc of course)

Come on, they have billions of songs and more than 30 hit singles ... how come they fill a Best of with a cover :shame:

Even bands like Kiss have don't release covers in a Best Of !!!

The Saints is already destined to be a hit and miss filler single, for trivia games, like what happened with The Hands That Built America or Electrical Storm :coocoo:

ponkine said:

The Saints is already destined to be a hit and miss filler single, for trivia games, like what happened with The Hands That Built America or Electrical Storm :coocoo:

I don't see why this bothers you so much.

Go get caught in an Electrical Storm or under The Hands That Built America for awhile.

I dont see what the issue is.

snowbunny00774 said:
Probably a stupid question, so throw your tomatoes and abuse as gently as possible - If it's on the new CD will a portion of the amount raked in from sales (annually or other) be donated to Music Rising?

Nobody ever said any of the proceeds from this album are going to Music Rising. The proceeds from the Saints SINGLE were the only ones ever mentioned as earmarked for charity.

I think it's odd that U2 is releasing an album with Saints on it so soon after a charity single. It's totally going to canabilize sales of the single.

Back
Top Bottom