The real reason U2 isn't releasing any of this material

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Your analogy is flawed at it's core and doesn't form any real argument, so my response is about as much as your 'argument' is worth.

No. I made a very real point about safety not being the highest good. You didn't have a counter argument. Even in this most recent post, you have provided a vacuous response.

If you goal was to change my mind, you would be failing.

If your goal was to change the mind of anyone who agreed with me, I can't imagine that sort of response would get you anywhere.

If your goal was just to express your personal thoughts on gun control, you did that a number of posts ago.

You might simply say that you DO believe safety is the highest good. In that case, we would be at an impasse, but my point would not be invalidated by your having different values than I do.

Bono said:
...the reason we didnt put out Songs of Ascent was we felt that the next thing that people need to hear from u2 is not an art project, that it has a rock n roll heart, even if its not rock n roll music.
Okay...so this quote implies that:
A) Songs of Ascent is either a finished album or, at the very least, a fairly concrete concept for one;
B) it would have been an "art project" showing the more experimental side of U2; and
C) Bono won't release it because he wants another HUTDAB.

:sad:

That Bono quote is infuriating.

It's so sad that they recoil so quickly after perceived failure. Fucking grow a pair.

Without the "art project" influence of Eno, where the fuck would they be now?

Well, over on atu2 someone posted an interview Bono had with some irish magazine, and it seems to have some answers:
(he just wrote it from memory, no link, so i'll just copy and paste)

"1/ Bono says they wanted the album out before the end of the tour

2/ He speaks of Songs of Ascent. He mentions songs called 'Mount Zion' 'Soon' 'Every Breaking Wave' 'North Star'

3/ He speaks about the club music with Red One, and a song called 'I'll believe her when she sings'

4/ He mentions the rock album they have started to make with Danger Mouse. He says they have 10 songs with him.

5/ Of Spiderman he says there is 18 songs and 20 pieces of music

6/ Finally he says 'I think next fall' for a new album. He goes onto say...'Why would anyone want another one? It just better be really great, and the reason we didnt put out Songs of Ascent was we felt that the next thing that people need to hear from u2 is not an art project, that it has a rock n roll heart, even if its not rock n roll music.' "

Bono's explanation seems to be what i had suspected - they just didn't have enough faith in a quick follow up to 'bounce back' from NLOTH's failings. They may have started out with the idea of just getting new material out as soon as possible, but i think their priority soon shifted to getting something spectacular (i.e. that they - not McGuiness - believe is full of hits) out, something which would really be a proper comeback - and that would require time.
So, it seems from what Bono said that they opted to take the time to make sure they have something 'special' rather than something quick, to come back from NLOTH. Makes sense to me, even if it is frustrating.

It seems clear that SOA is a, more or less, finished and shelved album. God, that's frustrating! They seem to be actually pretty prolific lately, they're just not sharing... :(

But I think it's a false conclusion to think that HTDAAB is the only style of rock U2 could record. I wouldn't assume that. Working with Danger Mouse would suggest they want to give us something new.

If SOA was an "art project" they could have given it a download only release. No big promotional push, no singles. Just throw the hardcore contingent a bone. And if it did well, release it in physical form at the end of the year or whenever. But to think they've shelved it outright because they thought it was too artsy fartsy...it sounds like they've forgotten they still have hardcore fans who actually want to hear this stuff.

If SOA was an "art project" they could have given it a download only release. No big promotional push, no singles. Just throw the hardcore contingent a bone. And if it did well, release it in physical form at the end of the year or whenever. But to think they've shelved it outright because they thought it was too artsy fartsy...it sounds like they've forgotten they still have hardcore fans who actually want to hear this stuff.

Or they could have re-released NLOTH with SOA as a bonus disc.

I still really don't get why Bono seems to think that the poor sales of No Line were a rejection of the arty/thinky side of U2. No Line was 'sold' on Boots/Magnificent/Crazy Tonight. Those who didn't buy in for the rest of it were making their decision based on those songs, they never heard the other side of No Line. What they rejected was U2 being mind numbingly dull. The opposite of arty/interesting/challenging/whatever. He should be saying that 'the people' clearly don't want middle of the road, hooktastic, soulless made-for-singles that lean heavily on the sounds of past glory, but the band striking out in new directions again. Shouldn't that be really fucking obvious?

I mean, you're never going to find anyone saying "I didn't buy No Line because Cedars of Lebanon was a bit odd", instead you'll find several hundred thousand saying "I didn't buy No Line because what the fuck was with that god awful Boots song?"

I still really don't get why Bono seems to think that the poor sales of No Line were a rejection of the arty/thinky side of U2. No Line was 'sold' on Boots/Magnificent/Crazy Tonight. Those who didn't buy in for the rest of it were making their decision based on those songs, they never heard the other side of No Line. What they rejected was U2 being mind numbingly dull. The opposite of arty/interesting/challenging/whatever. He should be saying that 'the people' clearly don't want middle of the road, hooktastic, soulless made-for-singles that lean heavily on the sounds of past glory, but the band striking out in new directions again. Shouldn't that be really fucking obvious?

I mean, you're never going to find anyone saying "I didn't buy No Line because Cedars of Lebanon was a bit odd", instead you'll find several hundred thousand saying "I didn't buy No Line because what the fuck was with that god awful Boots song?"

They didn't No Line because the whole album is shit house.

Any band that has people that would let them put SUC on an album needs new people around them.

This is exactly what I think. :up:
I can't understand why on earth can't they see that people are tired of their 00's sound (from the singles) and the notion that U2 is all about reaplying for the job of biggest band on planet earth over and over again, and that people just want to hear INSPIRING music from them again.
There was a time when U2 was synonymous of change and innovation. Cant' believe they became so conservative.

:lol: It frightens me to know that you actually believe you know a thing about music and yet can't even spell one of the genres correctly.

At least I actually research and read about music unlike most people on interference and across the internet in general.

In America you spell words like colour (color) and favourite (favorite) wrong. Our way looks better.

If you research music, why not spell it properly?

At least color and favorite are actually correctly spelled in American English... gospal is correct in no language but Engrish.

This is exactly what I think. :up:
I can't understand why on earth can't they see that people are tired of their 00's sound (from the singles) and the notion that U2 is all about reaplying for the job of biggest band on planet earth over and over again, and that people just want to hear INSPIRING music from them again.
There was a time when U2 was synonymous of change and innovation. Cant' believe they became so conservative.

Last week I was watching The Best Selling Females Of The Noughties and whilst I was watching it I came to the conclusion that Madonna seems fairly dull compared to the likes of Rihanna and Lady GaGa. So I started thinking about noughties singles that U2 have released that seem exciting and I come up with this list: GOYB, Elevation, Vertigo, The Saints Are Comming.

Maybe Adam voted conservative at last year's election. I would have.

However, you must also remember that there's so much more to music than just excitement, just in the same way that not everything in life is exciting. That doesn't mean to say to it's dull.

U2 should like, not release records anymore, just to like, piss you all off. Something like that.

Yes, that's correct spelling in British English. That was entirely not my point, since I myself spell according to the British dictionary as well.

Back
Top Bottom