The official: BRING BACK FLOOD ! thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
yeah, I think you're right and SONGS OF ASCENT will be a darker album

almost funny
mostly sad

I don't think meditative, about pilgrimage means dark. NLOTH despite its peering into darkness, really shines as the pains and triumphs of trying to see and bring out the positive even in the toughest times, as a part of that story I'd be surprised to so SOA down in the dumps and cynical.

I think it will be the opposite of dark
but I also think some people here are idiots
and surely I can't be right about everything

After the 'mixed' response to NLOTH, I think that Songs of Ascent will be reworked or put on hold. SOA will be NLOTH, but mellower.

We've seen it before. U2 can't afford another album which barely registers in the public conciousness. I hope for a grittier, dirtier and darker album. I fear we will get 'Bomb' part 2. :|

If U2 released SOA during the 360 tour, it wouldn't really matter if it registered in the public consciousness. They'd already be there with the tour--in fact, it would allow them to release an album that wasn't carefully designed to register with the masses (and SOA, based on the quotes, isn't a radio-friendly BIG U2 album). It's a win-win: releasing during the tour and right on the back of another album means that there won't be the same sales expectations and they won't have to worry about people saying they've lost it, they're over the hill, etc.

Otherwise they will likely rework and drop out a lot of material that hardcore fans would find especially interesting.

great thread!:up:
great idea, please buy a three year ticket for trip around the world for mr. eno, mr. lanois and mr. lillywhite... kick them out of the studio!
bring back FLOOD for more raw soundscapes and give a chance to FLORIAN AMMON and maybe HOWIE B. again. i think the influence on the production would have a better outcome to the quality of music. bring 'em on!

Um, that's always been their focus. And I think a lot of NLOTH talks about being brave enough to see the good in spite of the dark. Its not being out of touch optimistic, but not despairing either. I love some of their darker songs, but U2 is all about emotional uplift in the end, a whole album of negativity would make me wonder what happened to them. AB was being cynical about how the world and their lives had changed, while also embracing the new. They're never abject.

Case in point: Crazy Tonight is one of the most "shiny" optimistic songs on No Line, and the the massive uplift of the chorus comes from the acknowledgement that a change of heart is incredibly difficult (a mountain, not a hill), but "we're gonna make it all the way to the light" anyway. It's actually kind of bad ass, now that I think about it.

I love their darker stuff--I'm a 90s U2 addict. But I kind of think that Cedars was a weird way to end the album. Nothing else on the album went that low. It's great, but it's kind of a sudden drop...

I say enough of the familiar faces for a while. No more Eno/Lanois/Lillywhite/Flood etc. and at least try something different with Rubin.

I don't want Rubin. He wants finished songs. Well, what's the point, then? Did anyone think that "Windows in the Skies" was anything special?

Rubin's work with Cash is highly over-rated, too. The only great thing is "Hurt".

I like to see U2 work with the Flaming Lips' Dave Fridmann. All of their records sound amazing, adventurous and different. For instance:

YouTube - The Flaming Lips The WAND

HELL YEAH FUCK YEAH!!

Steve Drozd should be there too; that guy is the greatest musician in rock. And Wayne Coyne could be the cheerleader and keep them honest.

If they're going to continue to bring in people from the past Flood should be next on the list because he's an adventurous man.

Rick Rubin should be avoided at all costs; I love the Chilis (the last one was used toilet paper though) but the only record that sounds interesting is By the Way and that's because Frusciante was in control, and is a genius.

Lillywhite should be thrown in the Thames.

Dave Sitek would work really well with U2 too. TV on the Radio are pretty much the best and best sounding band in the world right now. Jim O'Rourke would be a nice choice too. He took Wilco to the next level and Murray St is the best Sonic Youth record since Daydream Nation. And his solo stuff is great.

After the 'mixed' response to NLOTH, I think that Songs of Ascent will be reworked or put on hold. SOA will be NLOTH, but mellower.

We've seen it before. U2 can't afford another album which barely registers in the public conciousness. I hope for a grittier, dirtier and darker album. I fear we will get 'Bomb' part 2. :|

Oh no! Bomb Part 2 would be hideous. I can just picture Lillywhite grinning away as Bono screeches another "huge" chorus over Edge's chiming guitar chords; and then Bono telling interviewers "we're back to save rock n'roll from the rap stars" when actually it's just about having a few hit singles in their late forties. Yuk, yuk, yuk. Whatever U2 do, I just hope the Edge ups his game a bit- with some honourable excpetions his guitarwork has sounded pretty boring since Pop. It was the single-biggest let down on NLOTH in my view.

I see Songs of Assumptions will be a big hit with interfence in the next few months...

I recently watched a clip of U2 accepting an award for HTDAAB and they thanked Flood. So, he was involved in that and it sucked overall. So, I'm not sure Flood is the answer.

Flood produced the new 30 Seconds To Mars album with Lillywhite...the new single Kings & Queens is actually very good.

Im down for a Rubin, Flood, Lillywhite album. Im getting sick of Eno and Lanois. U2 need their balls back.

Back
Top Bottom