The Miracle (of Joey Ramone) - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Great song, good choice for a first single, has a Fall Out Boy sorta vibe/chorus, which is a good thing for the Millenials. I love stuttering guitar, Bono sings his ass off and the Rhythm Boys keep the song in the pocket. Great choice to start the album off...:up:

I'm guessing you're not getting the album art. The single cover is gorgeous.

I'm also guessing you forgot about the album and single artwork of Bomb? Don't blame you.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

It's easy to see what they're getting at with the album art. Nothing to do with (dis)liking the album art though.

http://blogs-images.forbes.com/hughmcintyre/files/2014/09/u2-2.jpg Like I said, giving a kid a marker is about all the process that seems to go into it.

http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnvar/20140909/144674 Weak too.

It's easy to see what they're getting at with the album art. Nothing to do with (dis)liking the album art though.

http://blogs-images.forbes.com/hughmcintyre/files/2014/09/u2-2.jpg Like I said, giving a kid a marker is about all the process that seems to go into it.

http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnvar/20140909/144674 Weak too.

I think the actual release will have different artwork. The whole "white label" record thing is to promote the Apple deal, "hot of the presses" gig.

And I quite like the single artwork. (see: new avatar)

I didn't like it that much at first, but I'm starting to.
The oh-oh's are pretty rocking.

I don't like that the drums are so low in the mix though, I really like Larry in this one.

For me... this track is the least favourite on the album. It's good.... but I think there are better gems on the album.

Too much rock without any roll. Really uninspired and too much forced to be a big song (oh oh ohs, loud guitar). Funny how the band choose to present the album a song that seems to me one of their worse in a long while.

Sent from my HUAWEI G700-U10 using U2 Interference mobile app

I'm really coming around on this song as I am with all of them, the more I listen the more I love this song.

great song. love it.

are we going to get a video for ol Joey? the stuff from the bridge, the fireworks? surprised it hasn't come out yet...

Cancer45 posted this review in the critic's thread. I loved this part of the article about "Miracle":

“The Miracle (Of Joey Ramone)“: In the chorus, where Bono sings, “I woke up at the moment when the miracle occurred,” the interval relationship between the bottom note (Edge’s guitar) and the top note (Bono’s voice) has no parallel 8ths or parallel 5ths. Bach would commend them for obeying that rule of counterpoint — although it does go from a perfect 8th to a perfect 5th, which is a voice leading no-no, but The Edge instinctively feels it and changes the note almost as soon as he hits it.

In plain English? They’re writing melodies that don’t feel clunky, top-heavy, or heavy-footed to the brain when the sound waves hit the ear drums. From the brain’s perspective, good voice leading feels like a suave, smooth dancer gliding across the floor. Songs of Innocence has some serious moves.

U2’s “Songs of Innocence” Is It Their Best Work Yet? | Rocking Gods House

I could get used to larry kicking a drum kit over and edge smashing a guitar

I thought it was pretty underwhelming the first couple of times I heard this one, but it's really grown on me and has been stuck in my head all day. It has a White Stripes feel to it.

I thought it was pretty underwhelming the first couple of times I heard this one, but it's really grown on me and has been stuck in my head all day. It has a White Stripes feel to it.

I thought it was awkward and cliche. Then I listened through the entire album. I came back to it, and on the 2nd listen it just felt extremely fresh and right where it belongs. Definitely grows more and more on me.

Ok so I get this now. It was the only track I wasn't totally sold on but there's this unashamed joy to The Miracle that I really like.

I think the other 10 tracks that follow are all in a different league but I'm definitely feeling it a lot more.

my thoughts exactly

it's still one of the weaker tracks on the album in my eyes, but it's grown on me a lot.

Are we going to get a music video for this song? Is it really the lead single? Or was Tim Cook just calling it that because they played it. Wish U2.com was giving us SOMETHING about singles, music videos, or tour news.

They just played this on SiriusXM's AltNation channel. 3 days after album release, that's a good sign. The fact that the radio is paying attention at all is a testament to U2's ability to stay relevant after a 5 year hiatus and a largely-ignored previous LP.

Its getting airplay in Holland. One of the major (pop/rock/alternative stations) here chose it as single of the week. Being played multiple times now everyday.

Are we going to get a music video for this song? Is it really the lead single? Or was Tim Cook just calling it that because they played it. Wish U2.com was giving us SOMETHING about singles, music videos, or tour news.

This image is on u2.com, labeled "Single Cover", so it seems to be the only single they are letting us know about so far.

U2_TheMiracleofJoeyRamone_single-cover.jpg~original

first time I heard it, I was like "this is the first song on the album?" I didn't hear the Apple live version, still haven't.

Now I love it. Really grown on me - just a great tune. Still lower half of the album as far as song rankings go, so shows how much i love the new record.

but single? nah. "Breaking Wave" should have been imo. and there are a few others that would have been better.

Maybe this album will get the full 4-single treatment, unlike NLOTH which they only gave us 3 even though 4 were officially announced!
(My collector edition NLOTH singles box will forever remain 1/4 empty I guess. :sad: )
Edit: I could have sworn the box actually said 4 singles on it but it doesn't. Anyway, at least on Wikipedia it says the box was announced and intended to hold 4 singles...)

One of my least favorites on first listen but now really love it. Will be great on tour ...maybe even as an opener.

It's fine, but I agree with those who call it one of the weaker songs on the album.

The lead-off single doesn't have to be a big commercial success, but I think it should be rough, challenging, opaque and sound nothing like the U2 everyone previously knew.

The Fly was the perfect lead-off single.

And yet a lot of people were like " :huh: What the fuck is this?!"

How is The Miracle becoming my favorite of the album? Dognammit, this thing keeps growing.

The crunchy guitars are good like a Who song and the percussion is awesome. The lyrics are bit cheesy but setup the theme of the entire album. The Whoahs have some melody to them.

And yet a lot of people were like " :huh: What the fuck is this?!"

How is The Miracle becoming my favorite of the album? Dognammit, this thing keeps growing.

But not in the same way. The Fly was ultra-cool and edgy. It was like U2 was saying "Hey radio, we're the biggest band in the world, here's our lead-off single and we dare to play it." It was more about blowing people's minds than getting chart success. They knew they had Mysterious Ways and One coming later...

Same with this album, the big impact singles are going to come later, but Miracle doesn't have the fuck off balls of The Fly.

Maybe the weakest link on the album, but it´s not that bad. I hope it won´t make it to a single. It fits to the album, anyway.
I don´t like Edge´s guitar play/sound at all. Maybe worst song ever regarding his playing. It was the first time ever I was ashamed for him being a guitarist in U2. Some forgettable, 70´ s, embarrassing garage guitar work. Sounds like Edge after lobotomy :cute:

Back
Top Bottom