The Miracle (of Joey Ramone) - Song Discussion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think also Edge noticed there weren't enough fun cockrockers for him to enjoy, so then Miracle and Volcano were born. (In my version of the truth, these songs came later; totally suits the indignant tone of my narrative)

I wouldn't be surprised at all if that's exactly what really happened in the end...

The Sacramento Kings used this as background music for a brief video on their Facebook page. I'm sure U2 had goals such as this when working on this song.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Invisible seems such an obvious (and correct) choice for the first song on SOI. It's simply bonkers that they went with Miracle.

I thought "everyone" on here hated Invisible when it first came out? Too "safe" or whatever... :huh:

The Sacramento Kings used this as background music for a brief video on their Facebook page. I'm sure U2 had goals such as this when working on this song.

Along with that Spurs video, it seems like it is working in that respect.

I thought "everyone" on here hated Invisible when it first came out? Too "safe" or whatever... :huh:

That's not how I remember it. In fact, I recall a lot of the usual over hype and over the top superlatives about both Invisible and Ordinary Love...people talking about how OL was sure to win an Oscar, how the acoustic "Jimmy Fallon's Couch Version" would be the center piece of the tour, Invisible would be the perfect opener/closer (take your pick), etc.

I wonder how many people even think we'll actually hear OL now, other than a snippet or the obligatory performance when/if Winnie Mandela finally goes.

I don't get the hate for this song. It's fun and accessible. And as fans this is where we came from. It is the Apple release. Guarantee you will be singing along with it.

I don't get the hate for this song. It's fun and accessible. And as fans this is where we came from. It is the Apple release. Guarantee you will be singing along with it.

You ain't in da club unless you hate the rawk tracks!!!111

Along with that Spurs video, it seems like it is working in that respect.

I hated Invisible when it was released. As a stand-alone single I thought it was weak. I admit it.

In the context of the album though, in keeping with its themes, I think it's great as a first track, the start of the journey. What can I say, it grew on me a little.

That's not how I remember it. In fact, I recall a lot of the usual over hype and over the top superlatives about both Invisible and Ordinary Love...people talking about how OL was sure to win an Oscar, how the acoustic "Jimmy Fallon's Couch Version" would be the center piece of the tour, Invisible would be the perfect opener/closer (take your pick), etc.

I wonder how many people even think we'll actually hear OL now, other than a snippet or the obligatory performance when/if Winnie Mandela finally goes.

Opposite for me. I didn't like either song at first, but I've been really digging them the last couple months. The Ordinary Love Epworth Mix is phenomenal.
Invisible would be a great opener/closer potential that not many U2 songs have. Streets, 11 O Clock, Out Of Control and Vertigo (to a lesser extent) are really the only songs that I can think of that can do that. It's a great song and is actually quite unique in the U2 catalog.

Miracle is a fun song, it's the type of rock song they've been trying so hard to write. It's far better than Elevation, Boots, and Vertigo.

It's exactly the kind of song they've been writing for the past few years, and are insisting to throw on us as the RAWK lead single. And it's more grating than the other songs of that ilk already.

It's exactly the kind of song they've been writing for the past few years, and are insisting to throw on us as the RAWK lead single. And it's more grating than the other songs of that ilk already.

Would you say that it's a "rewrite"?

Opposite for me. I didn't like either song at first, but I've been really digging them the last couple months. The Ordinary Love Epworth Mix is phenomenal.
Invisible would be a great opener/closer potential that not many U2 songs have. Streets, 11 O Clock, Out Of Control and Vertigo (to a lesser extent) are really the only songs that I can think of that can do that. It's a great song and is actually quite unique in the U2 catalog.

I've gotten to like Invisible quite a bit myself, and agree with would be a good closer.

OL, on the other hand, I find borderline unlistenable, and whether this is confidence or optimism, I can't say, but I don't believe we're going to be hearing much of it.

The caveat to this is, if they do this horrible alternate acoustic night, or extended acoustic interlude thing people are speculating about (and I seriously doubt they will), then we will probably have to endure it once again, though in that case it won't sound so out of place among all the other acoustic-version snoozers.

The chorus to OL is phenomenal. This could've been a good IRA song if not for the N.M. Movie. I know there's been several IRA songs, but the chorus' lyrics seem to wrap everything up nicely. Of course the verse lyrics would have to be rewritten.

I still believe The Miracle is their best lead single since Beautiful Day. It's a far superior song musically to both Boots and Vertigo. Are their other songs I like on the album more? Yes. But with the four singles off this album most likely being the first four songs, Miracle was probably the right choice, especially for the purposes of the Apple ad.

And the song's story on the charts is not over. It's still slowly climbing in the U.S. and will likely get a bit of a boost when the U.S. promo tour begins.

I still believe The Miracle is their best lead single since Beautiful Day. It's a far superior song musically to both Boots and Vertigo. Are their other songs I like on the album more? Yes. But with the four singles off this album most likely being the first four songs, Miracle was probably the right choice, especially for the purposes of the Apple ad.

And the song's story on the charts is not over. It's still slowly climbing in the U.S. and will likely get a bit of a boost when the U.S. promo tour begins.

I feel the same way.

the chorus to ol is phenomenal. This could've been a good ira song if not for the n.m. Movie. I know there's been several ira songs, but the chorus' lyrics seem to wrap everything up nicely. Of course the verse lyrics would have to be rewritten.

ira???

Hmmm... I seem to remember the more negative remarks about both songs (OL in particular). Now that I remember the poll though, I do think that Invisible was particularly well-received by a good chunk of people on here. But there were also those comments about how the band had nothing left in them, it was 'safe', etc. etc. So the acclaim wasn't exactly universal.

I hated Invisible when it was released. As a stand-alone single I thought it was weak. I admit it.

In the context of the album though, in keeping with its themes, I think it's great as a first track, the start of the journey. What can I say, it grew on me a little.

I thought it was okay at the time, mostly since it seemed to be lacking that 'thing' which would have made it a great track. My opinion hasn't really changed with the album though. It's alright, but nothing below or above that, imo.

This song is what Vertigo and Boots weren´t - mediocre and dad rock :)

Man. It's not like the discussion in the main forum has every been that intelligent, but holy shit, the quality of discussion seems to be hitting all time lows in here lately.

This song is what Vertigo and Boots werent - mediocre and dad rock :)

Vertigo succeeded as an intentionally dumb rock song. Boots failed because it was an unintentionally dumb rock song. And The Miracle is just alright. Nothing truly offensive, nothing to really get excited about either.

Back
Top Bottom