The Magic is back with Window

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oregoropa

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
I am very happy with Window in the Skies. Listening to the song last night I realized that the U2 magic is back. Not that the recent efforts were bad, but I feel some songs lack the ethereal production that initially drew me to U2. The layers, craftsmanship, and emotion are all there with WITS. Sometimes I feel the best U2 songs are a collective experience of sound that never grow old.

Does anybody else feel the magic ?

Does WITS have it ?

Window definitely has the magic. I know what you are talking about. I love the new stuff but at times it just doesn't seem as...magical...as the past U2. WITS is outstanding but I just wish there had been a whole new album of WITS's! :mad:

Yes, it definitely has the magic. It has that extra something. To me, nothing about it sounds calculated. It flows from part to part effortlessly. The lyrics are also quite good. I think the magic comes in that final minute of the song. When Bono sings "oh can't you see what love has done" with his full voice the song hits an incredible climax.

I think it's great too, but I also think I have to wait awhile to judge it on account of the "newness" of it.

johnson-magic.jpg

he agrees.

Oregoropa said:
Not that the recent efforts were bad, but I feel some songs lack the ethereal production that initially drew me to U2.

[RANT]

Does "ethereal" mean "I can't hear what the hell is going on"? :eyebrow: I've always hated that side of U2. UF, JT, and AB all sound awful.

They're a ROCK BAND. If you want some airy production where the instruments sound as if they're floating, listen to some trip-hop.

[/RANT]

Other than that, I feel the magic. :yes:

Last edited:
Yep WITS has the magic. Definintely a major step up in creativity and depth imo. Im not trying to bash their recent work, but I feel the level of their creativity has been eroding to some extent over the years. Thats not to say they havent been tossing us some gems on their recent albums. But for me U2 was always about making something different.. songs that couldnt have been written by any other band. As corny as this sounds, when U2 are "on" noone can touch them. WITS to me has that uniqueness and its great to hear it back.

zepher25 said:
i sense a #1 coming

i sense them barely cracking the top 40 in the US.... if at all. I wish I lived in a country where good songs went to #1.

It could score in the UK, look how great Saints is goin, and I don't GD is all that huge in the UK are they?

Beautiful guitar and yes its magic,,I love the chorus...:drool:

thank you thank you thank you!!!
PEOPLE WITH BRAINS AND SENSE!!
Ive just been on the zoo, never again. I was on the windows review thread and EVERYONE hated it except a handfull of people including me!!!.I beleive everyone has the right to an opinion but ffs i am really irritated because the topic was started with "its time for U2 to retire after that its shit"

some one said they didnt like it as you couldnt hear bono when you could hear the drums!, i mean honestly i wanted to knock their heads on the floor and shake sense into them physically.
Other criticisms were the lyrics dont make sense,
"oh cant you see what your love has done, to every broken heart, ...to every heart that cries...to me etc.."
what is so mysterious about that!

My personal view?, its a fantastic song!,from a diff angle, its like sweetest thing and shfwilf rolled up with some new lyrics with some luvly zoo lemon dripped over the top!!!
but you cant look at it from the same as other songs that have gone before as its a new angle, and damn it works so well!.

Thankyou for understanding my brains view, I thought i was doomed to being stuck up my arse and clueless about the band I live for when i was on the zoo!!

Oh i need a lie down..

I'm very bad at predicting the success of songs. I've often thought certain songs were sure-fire hits, but they would fight just to get to the Top 40. Others were Top 40 hits that I thought wouldn't even crack the Top 100!

With that in mind, I don't think WITS will be a big hit in the U.S.

However, maybe it will strike a chord with people. Or maybe radio stations will actually play a U2 song. Or maybe the combination of legal downloads and radio will generate a surprise hit. I don't know.

What I do know is that this is a decent song - not one of U2's best, but far, far from their worst. I think it's perfect on this type of album. If WITS were on a regular studio album, then I would say at best it is a second or third single.

wildhoney88565 said:
thank you thank you thank you!!!
PEOPLE WITH BRAINS AND SENSE!!
Ive just been on the zoo, never again. I was on the windows review thread and EVERYONE hated it except a handfull of people including me!!!.I beleive everyone has the right to an opinion but ffs i am really irritated because the topic was started with "its time for U2 to retire after that its shit"

Sounds like they got it just about right. Where is this? Is it another forum?

I wish some of the fans would retire so the band can continue making great songs like these for years to come. There is many people that no matter what U2 does now wont ever like it. Thats fine but I also find it funny that they still make it a point to come to U2 boards. Ill enjoy this great track, it is a very strong track and in my mind better then at least 5 tracks on the singles album itself.

Yahweh said:
.... Ill enjoy this great track, it is a very strong track and in my mind better then at least 5 tracks on the singles album itself.

Yes, I believe it gives these U218 songs a serious run for their money (and easily beats a couple of them):

Vertigo
Stuck In A Moment You Can’t Get Out Of
Sweetest Thing
Elevation
Sometimes You Can’t Make It On Your Own
The Saints Are Coming

Window definitely has that U2 "it." The magic is there. It has a Beatles/Lennon vibe, sure, but it's a song that only U2 could write. No other band could pull off something so big and almost cheesy, yet beautiful, uplifting, and effortless. U2 make it seem easy, but pop songs like that don't come easy, and U2 adds that special something you can't quite place. The magic. They can sing about love and make it universal and personal at the same time. They can make a song about something cliche and make it real. It's what made U2 big in the first place - their honesty. There's something simply true about U2 that you can't deny. Some people think U2 have been trying too hard lately, but this sounds like the opposite. This is just U2 being U2.

AtomicBono said:
Window definitely has that U2 "it." The magic is there. It has a Beatles/Lennon vibe, sure, but it's a song that only U2 could write. No other band could pull off something so big and almost cheesy, yet beautiful, uplifting, and effortless. U2 make it seem easy, but pop songs like that don't come easy, and U2 adds that special something you can't quite place. The magic. They can sing about love and make it universal and personal at the same time. They can make a song about something cliche and make it real. It's what made U2 big in the first place - their honesty. There's something simply true about U2 that you can't deny. Some people think U2 have been trying too hard lately, but this sounds like the opposite. This is just U2 being U2.
:up:

I agree with everything you've said here. You can really tell U2 had fun recording this song. There's joy in every single morsel of goodness. You can't fake that, which is why this song rings so true.

LyricalDrug said:
One of the band's 10 best ever.

Seriously? :eyebrow: Windows In The Sky is in the same league as New Year's Day, The Unforgettable Fire, Where The Streets Have No Name, Red Hill Mining Town, With Or Without You, All I Want Is You, Until The End Of The World, Acrobat, Zooropa and Please? Different strokes, I guess...

Last edited:
GibsonGirl said:

Seriously? :eyebrow: Windows In The Sky is in the same league as New Year's Day, The Unforgettable Fire, Where The Streets Have No Name, Red Hill Mining Town, With Or Without You, All I Want Is You, Until The End Of The World, Acrobat, Zooropa and Please? Different strokes, I guess...

indeed, because I definitely like Window in the Skies more than The Unforgettable Fire and possibly more than Red Hill Mining Town and All I Want is You

I wouldn't say it's among U2's ten best ever though. 20 maybe, but that might be pushing it. 50 definitely. Really, I think it's too early to accurately judge. I love it now, but I might love it more later, or the magic might fade a bit.

AtomicBono said:

indeed, because I definitely like Window in the Skies more than The Unforgettable Fire and possibly more than Red Hill Mining Town and All I Want is You

I wouldn't say it's among U2's ten best ever though. 20 maybe, but that might be pushing it. 50 definitely. Really, I think it's too early to accurately judge. I love it now, but I might love it more later, or the magic might fade a bit.

I guess the problem is that I'm not feeling any of this 'magic' everyone's going on about. Usually when I hear a new U2 song, I get at least some shivers. Upon hearing WITS for the first time, I thought it was a nice pop song, nothing more, nothing less. So it doesn't even crack the top fifty for me.

Back
Top Bottom