The Little Things That Give You Away - Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes!

This is how they actually made what was actually great better. They moved the quieter part to the middle. There actually is a build up in the start, and then it drops down at the start of the "sometimes..." part before crescendoing back up.

God I fucking love this song.

If they don't release it and don't play the fuck out of it during the promo period it'll be fucking criminal.

Amen!

As much as I like the album version... I find it lacks the urgency of the live version. I miss the melodrama of Edge's piano chords during the "sometimes" section and the anguish in Bono's vocal towards the end. The album version is too gentle IMO.

Oh my fucking god, this song. That’s all I think each time I listen to it.

I was in the airport when I listened to the studio version for the 1st time. Hearing some guitar throughout the song was a welcome surprise - wasn’t expecting to hear it until the end!

Then the buildup started and I broke down. I hardly shed tears when listening to music, but this song just destroyed me. It hasn’t been easy to listen to the last 2 minutes and 15 seconds without my eyes watering up. The strongest track on this album, and easily one of the best songs they’ve created in the 21st century. Well done, U2.

I was in the airport when I listened to the studio version for the 1st time. Hearing some guitar throughout the song was a welcome surprise - wasn’t expecting to hear it until the end!

Then the buildup started and I broke down. I hardly shed tears when listening to music, but this song just destroyed me. It hasn’t been easy to listen to the last 2 minutes and 15 seconds without my eyes watering up. The strongest track on this album, and easily one of the best songs they’ve created in the 21st century. Well done, U2.

I'm so glad you liked this song pr... Also I had the same reaction and continue to get so emotional by the end of the song. I've said before that I really thought that MOS was prolly the best post-ATYCLB song we would get but gosh this song is truly stunning in every way... That buildup to the outro is absolutely beautiful. Cheers pr

This is a U2 classic.

Honestly, the build up is old school U2 magic, and something those who have lost the band in the last few years have been lamenting.

I don't like to declare a U2 song a classic until I have had at least a a couple of weeks with it.

With that said, this song has some really great things going on in the background. I hear all types of subtle melodies going on underneath the top layer of sound. There are subtle backing vocals through the song that are just an amazing compliment to Bono. The build up is nice climaxing with a classic Edge sound supported by Larry and Adam. But this song is put over the top by Bono. His delivery is great and his voice strong but most of all....his lyrics are phenomenal. A song that can evoke emotion, whether that be happiness/sadness/and gear, etc.. is special and this song chokes me up at times.

I won't say it's a classic only having it for a week (the studio cut at least) but I'll say I give it a 9 right now and when I give my proper review soon, I can see this moving to "classic" territory.

It's funny because when I heard the liv version I thought it was an okay new song (6/10). Then I found myself singing the chorus from time to time. The Kimmel version took this to a 7 or 8/10 because the sound was a bit more isolated and I heard some of he production. Then when I heard the studio cut....I had a huge smile on my face because I knew this was special.

I wonder if someone would have a go at making a fan created version with the piano chords over the album version.

If U2 are so desperate for a huge hit, why not just admit that the other songs on the album do not even come close to this and release the damn thing as a single!!!

It is literally the ONLY song on the album that could be a genuine radio hit, like the good old days!!

Last edited:
Love the song, but is he really singing ..."and you’re the only thing that matters" towards the end? I cannot hear the word 'THAT' :huh:

Perhaps this is just something we have to live with like "...that ever happened to boy" :wink:

The song leaves me feeling slightly drained emotionally when it's over..and that's a good thing! It's a classic, which is pretty impressive for a band this late in their career!

Everything in this thread is so true. I love this song. It’s honestly the only song on the album that’s really much of a standout to me, but I’d feel really lucky just to get this from the band at this stage in their career.

The “sometimes” part at the end reminds me of Mercy.

I wasn’t super impressed by this on the JT30 shows, but I’m not sure why. Love it now.

The “sometimes” part at the end reminds me of Mercy.

I wasn't the only one then!

I looked it up and other than just vaguely sounding familiar, I think the first half of the "sometimes" part is only played a full step away from Mercy's chorus (C to G, as opposed to D to A). So that might explain it a bit.

If U2 are so desperate for a huge hit, why not just admit that the other songs on the album do not even come close to this and release the damn thing as a single!!!

It is literally the ONLY song on the album that could be a genuine radio hit, like the good old days!!

I would think Love is Bigger and Summer of Love would also be very radio friendly.

Little Things would be a perfect song to be released as a single this Christmas. It would do very nice in the chart in this emotional season.

Listening to this through headphones brings it to life even more. It may just have breached into being the third perfect 10 song on the album for me.

(I also thought Mercy during certain parts; and I'm totally fine if this is the only variation that gets a proper release; not to revive that dead horse)

Listening to this through headphones brings it to life even more. It may just have breached into being the third perfect 10 song on the album for me.

(I also thought Mercy during certain parts; and I'm totally fine if this is the only variation that gets a proper release; not to revive that dead horse)

Listened to this one in the SUV yesterday and yeah love it even more!!!

I suspect it builds too slowly for regular radio listeners. Takes too long. In that way it is perhaps too out of the norm. Tom Petty once said, "Don't bore us, get to the chorus."

Make no mistake though, this is a beautiful U2 gem. In a proper world, etc. If I was a DJ, etc. If I owned a radio station, etc.

There is gorgeous, easy piano and synths behind it, but by and large it's just U2 playing, and wow, what a wonderful song. All credit to the band for slowing down mid-song and then bringing it up to a gorgeous crescendo.

This was the first new song from SOE I heard (live in concert). I was very intrigued then, just watching them play it. I couldn't hear all the lyrics, but I really loved it. I'd had a few beers, but I recall telling myself, "pay attention now." I'm so glad I did.

Living in the same place.

I just went through U2’s catalog and also tries to recall my experiences listening to their songs for the first time. Classics like Bad, Streets, UTEOTW, WOWY, etc.

This song gives me that same feeling. I’m absolutely serious and confident that this song will place in my top 10 U2 songs of all time. It’s that good.

If U2 in 1987 released this track the way it is on the album it would be a huge hit....the true U2 fans out there will love this track if they actually buy the album. I can't see them putting it out as a single because well they just don't ever seem to put the right singles out especially lately.

I just went through U2’s catalog and also tries to recall my experiences listening to their songs for the first time. Classics like Bad, Streets, UTEOTW, WOWY, etc.

This song gives me that same feeling. I’m absolutely serious and confident that this song will place in my top 10 U2 songs of all time. It’s that good.

Your post made me think back to hearing SBS, Bad, ASOH, TUF, STREETS, WOWY and so on your right I don't want to give in to over statement but yes I see this being in my all time top 10 U2 songs almost without a doubt. it brings me to a place just like those classic, epic U2 songs - I'm so darn happy they still have this in them for me and also its great they do this for all of you still!

Last edited:
So from the Andy Barlow Billboard interview it looks like this song has been knocking about since the no line sessions.

Back
Top Bottom