The Image...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rob33

Rock n' Roll Doggie
alright yes it is too soon to be talking about this with confidence, but lets SPECULATE as to what kind of persona bono and the band will take on for the next tour..will there be any change from vertigo to the next? will the change be as drastic as JT bono to AB bono? all things to consider, so lets speculate! :D

good topic!

all speculative of course, but great fun. ;-)

personally, ...i don't think there will be characters as in-your-face as macphisto, mirrorball man or the popmart boxer...

i get the feeling from what we've heard, and seen in the Lanois documentary, that their next "incarnation" will be a cross between the Unforgettable Fire and Achtung Baby in sound, with some new elements thrown in.

The sound will be atmospheric and edgy (a la AB) at the same time.

And though this might seem like a contradiction at first, i think they'll also delve into "roots" music- whereas with JT and R&H they immersed themselves in American music- blues, gospel, etc- i think this time they'll pull inspiration from even older forms of music- we all know they've been playing with traditional Moroccan musicians. A quote from Bono surfaced a few months ago where he talked about the connection between traditional middle eastern and irish melodies.

I'd love to see some brilliant combination of those four sounds- atmospheric rock, edgy "AB" rock, traditional middle eastern, traditional irish.

as they surround themselves with new sounds, the muses will channel themselves through Bono- we'll see some new characters- maybe based on ancient or medieval musicians or poets, and some others from the future...

I agree. AB and UF. At least thats what I hope for. the look. Well Bono has a shaved head so thats pretty new...well ever since POP that is.

wow, i didn't expect such quick agreement. had you been thinking that before you read my post? what causes you to agree?

the shaved head- yea. i think it's a look that works for him. i like it better than the mullet at least.

haha zoo..you're like.."wait, he agrees me! no, this can't be...something is off here"

i'm just hoping for a change from vertigo...he already had his head shaved throughout the latter stages of the vertigo tour and some concerts scattered throughout...

so...is it a definite change? or could we see the same bono and company that we saw during vertigo tour?

The Sad Punk said:

haha oh my god ahaha

I really hope not. :(

haha, i can see in your reaction what you're probably imagining... some cheesy shakespearian rip-off?

that's not remotely what i'm picturing at all.. it's more little whisps inspired by maybe people like yeats and rumi, he'd develop his own characters from them like the washed-out torch singer was distantly inspired by sinatra...

and the costuming would be understated, maybe even a non-factor...

...anyway, SP, i enjoy hearing your thoughts... what's your best guess about their next era?

Last edited:
Honestly I doubt they're going to take on the same level of shakeup - or theme inspired tour - that demands an entirely new image. I think that as far as general image goes (ie excluding for example whatever odd onstage getup Bono goes for on tour - which even then is pretty much muted these days) where they're at now is probably roughly where they'll stay for good. I certainly can't imagine anything Zoo/Pop like.

U2 will dress as characters from Battlestar Galactica and show scenes from the show on the stage's big screen instead of actually playing any songs.

I can't wait for Edge's commentary on the final episode of season one! :happy:

Well, it's early to speculate on a new look, but latest Bono pics show him having red dyed hair, no glasses and Passengers-like hat.

haha, i can see in your reaction what you're probably imagining... some cheesy shakespearian rip-off?

that's not remotely what i'm picturing at all.. it's more little whisps inspired by maybe people like yeats and rumi, he'd develop his own characters from them like the washed-out torch singer was distantly inspired by sinatra...

and the costuming would be understated, maybe even a non-factor...

Oh no, I wasn't really thinking you'd seriously be suggesting he should get up in some toga reciting Horace, or that he ought wear a chiton while channeling Homer. No, I'm not opposed to your ideas as long as they're rather subtle - though subtle isn't exactly U2.

...anyway, SP, i enjoy hearing your thoughts... what's your best guess about their next era?

I'm not expecting anything too outrageous. I'd like to see a hint of Arabic influence in the tour if it's already coming through the music (whether it's Passengers or not). I really don't want the tour to be too preachy but I'd like to see more along the religious tolerance side of things, which again works with their time in a very Islamic country.

I think Bono's going to wear suits on stage more often. He doesn't actually have to diet if he just goes with this. It'll look much sharp, too.

I don't think I'll guess about anything else.

I can't wait for Edge's commentary on the final episode of season one!

:drool:

I agree that their new image might have some "Arabic influences". I think that it will also probably be much more elaborate, showy, and playful, something lighter and more fun in a spirit similar to Pop and Zoo TV.

When they began the Elevation tour by leaving the lights on at the start, it signaled that they were returning to basics and trying to reconnect with their fans on a more personal, stripped down level. Now that they've fully reconnected with their base and have garnered a lot of new fans as well, I think they're going to pull out all of the stops this time just for the fun of it.

After the last two albums, they're definitely ready to relax, be more playful, and have fun, although how exactly that will manifest itself is a good question.

This is a great topic indeed. Kudos to you Rob33.

What do I think though? I don't know. Haven't given it much thought because the idea just came into my head when I read this thread.

I was merely just responding that this is great topic, I just won't be participating in it much until I formulate my own thoughts. Haha.

Axver - you make me laugh.

U2girl said:
Well, it's early to speculate on a new look, but latest Bono pics show him having red dyed hair, no glasses and Passengers-like hat.

:ohmy: Red dyed hair? No glasses and passengers-like hat? Man, I gotta get current on the U2 photos. This is a look I MUST see.

Haha, you all are sooooooo not PLEBAns. :wink: I know the pic you're referring to, and he actually had the (RED) glasses with him; there was just a few photos snapped before he put them back on to pose (the pics were taken while he was having lunck outside in NYC I think). It's not really indicative of his present look, so you can all relax. :)

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Anyone post a pic, I don't dare go fishing through pleba...

PLEBA and the PLEBAN's scare me in general. I would also like for someone to post a picture on here.

Not too many things scare me -

horror films
haunted houses
ghosts

PLEBA and PLEBAN'S? I run away screaming like a scared girl.

I have two suggestions:

1st - It would be cool to see U2 appear on stage all the 4 guys in suit, like The Hives, for instance. They look sexy that way.

2nd - I'd still like U2 to play a set (even if it was an encore) in an incarnation of... Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, with the coloured uniforms and the orchestra. That should be great!

Suits :yuck: A rock band wearing suits is too generic "wanna be different."

I don't dare go fishing through pleba...

It can be pretty trying.

702709aty3.jpg

I think the "Yes" t-shirts was some sort of Irish election or bill that U2 was promoting or trying to get passed or something.
My memory fails..again

And I think the red hair is more the un-dyed than the black dyed hair of recent times. :wink:

sue4u2 said:
I think the "Yes" t-shirts was some sort of Irish election or bill that U2 was promoting or trying to get passed or something.
My memory fails..again

And I think the red hair is more the un-dyed than the black dyed hair of recent times. :wink:

Probably a reference to calling for a yes vote on the Good Friday accords. They did a performance in Belfast with Ash supporting and Bono got Hume and Tremble? to shake hands on stage.

Dana

I like his new look better. I like the short hair better. More youthful and reminds me of POP era a bit. Also less of a "look at me and how sexy I am" vibe.

Most importantly though, I hope they're making some great music.

Back
Top Bottom