The i don't get "Fez-Being Born" thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jack Bauer

The Fly
What is "Fez" all about, "let me in the sound let me in the sound", why do they use that from GOYB? Makes no sense to me.

Then the weird lyrics. And they never will play it live.

There are reasons this isn't one of my top 5 favorites on the album, but they are none of the above.

What is "Fez" all about, "let me in the sound let me in the sound", why do they use that from GOYB? Makes no sense to me.

Then the weird lyrics. And they never will play it live.

It's about deciding to change their sound from the previous records. In the interview I saw a while back with Lanois he mentioned that when their heads moved on and when they got to the location they were able to feel like they were already underway with their change. Hence the lyrics. I'm sure the movie will have a different take but you can tell the personal element involved.

"Let me in the sound" may refer to the music festival of Fez being a muse for the band. There may be other interpretations.

Fez is throwaway, but Being Born is a song you sort of lose yourself in, rather than just listen to. It almost feels like you're there, riding a motorbike around Morocco.

I like the lyrics to Being Born as well, quite poetic, some of the best on the album.
They evoke strong visuals
"Bay of Cadiz and ferry home/Atlantic sea, cut glass"
"i'm being born - a bleeding start"

I was originally expecting something like Zooropa, but it's quite different, it doesn't build up, more of a plateau.
It most reminds me of Chinese Sleep Chant from Viva La Vida, but with better lyrics. The electro funk line through the song also reminds me of the soundtrack to the Bourne films.

It’s about a guy from Morocco losing his shit, grabbing his bike and riding all the way round to the other side of the Med, then looking back over at Africa from Spain, no? Fez is like the yearning part. His current life. Then *snap*, Being Born, and you’re off on the journey. The ‘let me in the sound’ sample to me is just more reflective of that feeling - ‘Give me something more’. Remember also that this song was initially supposed to open the album, which gives a bit more feeling to the way it unfolds.

I am trying to like Fez Being Born or understand it better but I just can't seem to get into the song yet..every other song has hit me what there about but not Fez...its makes me sad :(..But I won't give up I'll keep listening :) this thread might help too.. :)

I am trying to like Fez Being Born or understand it better but I just can't seem to get into the song yet..every other song has hit me what there about but not Fez...its makes me sad :(..But I won't give up I'll keep listening :) this thread might help too.. :)

good luck angel_28, i really hope it hits you.

I couldn't get it at first, it all just seemed to go nowhere. No discernable chorus. Quite noisy, I guess. Although I did note the incredible (but very subtle) Unforgettable Fire muted echo guitar in the chorus - or what you could class as the chorus.
Such a magnificent sound, love it.
A few listens later I noticed the lyrics talking about "African sun, at last..." - really evoked a UF/JT landscape-style song, so beautiful.

Then I listened to the rest of the lyrics.

It's now one of my faves off the album.

It's one of those songs that, when you focus on one part of it and get lost in that one part, say the muted/echo of edge's guitar, or the picture-postcard lyrics, the rest of it washes over you by stealth, and, by song's end, you realise U2 just stole four minutes of your life. And it was four glorious, unique, complicated but sincere minutes.

Best of luck, let us know how you get on!

I like this thread, it helps me realise whose opinions I should or shouldn't ignore.

Fez-Being Born is the best song on the album. Both halves are equally as strong as the other. However I think you need to have been exposed to a pretty big cross-section of music and/or have played and created your own music to really "get" it. If none of these apply to you, I'm sorry but the lack of a big melody or generic structure will probably lose you.

I like this thread, it helps me realise whose opinions I should or shouldn't ignore.

Fez-Being Born is the best song on the album. Both halves are equally as strong as the other. However I think you need to have been exposed to a pretty big cross-section of music and/or have played and created your own music to really "get" it. If none of these apply to you, I'm sorry but the lack of a big melody or generic structure will probably lose you.

exactly....and also make sure you are listening to the ENTIRE song b4 u judge

Here's how to get Fez :D :

The second half clearly depicts being born:

Lights... flash past...
Like memories
A speeding head, a speeding heart
I´m being born, a bleeding start
The engines roar, blood curling wail
Head first then foot
The heart sets sail

The baby's journey through the birth canal ("lights flash past"). The birth ("a bleeding start," "head first then foot," "blood curling wail").

Given the general theme of the album as a whole (which I believe is that of being lost/uncertain and then being "reborn" or awakened; see here: http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f196/the-overlying-theme-of-nloth-the-album-194120.html ), this portion of the song is pretty much a metaphor for a person who's being "reborn" or starting life anew.

As for the first part of the song:

Six o´clock
On the autoroute
Burning rubber, burning chrome
Bay of Cadiz and ferry home
Atlantic sea cut glass
African sun at last

...that sounds to me like a narrative of an auto accident (or motorcycle.....).

One could make an association between Fez-Being Born and Unknown Caller. In UC, there's this portion:

I was right there at the top of the bottom
On the edge of the known universe where I wanted to be
I had driven to the scene of the accident
And I sat there waiting for me

Unknown Caller seems to be about a person who is stuck somehow---mentally, emotionally, spiritually---and is basically getting messages from God through his cellphone, telling him to "reboot," take control of his life, and start anew. Given the portion I bolded above, it looks like the character is stuck in the moment of some sort of accident---he keeps replaying it in his mind, watching it over and over again, to the point that he's there waiting for himself to arrive...he's at the scene before the accident even happens, then watches it take place. God, the text messager, tells him to move on, get past this hangup and live life again.

The two songs may not be connected in that way..... However, given that Bono says the album was initially written to occur over 24 hours, and that these two songs were written in the Fez sessions, and that they both seem to have the theme of being reborn and starting afresh....I think the connection is purposeful.

Anton's "Linear" movie will hopefully tell us for sure.

They REALLY should have made Fez a lot longer. And split the tracks.

I hear the nay-sayers sharpening their axes now, but hear me out.

If FEZ was, say 4.5 mins long, and developed a bit more, I love how the bass tic-tacs around, IE the key changes give it texture in the way a chorus varies a pop song. I would have loved some more Enoisms, and a real mind-fuck.

The songs would segue in the way that ACB/ITH to on Boy.

It would have given a bigger rest from the onslaught of GOYB/SUC. It would have built up to the explosion of Being born, and it also would have made Being Born more accesible to those without the patience to 'get' the intro.

Lights... flash past...
Like memories
Head first then foot
The heart sets sail

The baby's journey through the birth canal ("lights flash past"). The birth ("a bleeding start," "head first then foot," "blood curling wail").

Given the general theme of the album as a whole (which I believe is that of being lost/uncertain and then being "reborn" or awakened; see here: http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f196/the-overlying-theme-of-nloth-the-album-194120.html ), this portion of the song is pretty much a metaphor for a person who's being "reborn" or starting life anew.

Six o´clock
On the autoroute
Atlantic sea cut glass
African sun at last

One could make an association between Fez-Being Born and Unknown Caller. In UC, there's this portion:

Unknown Caller seems to be about a person who is stuck somehow---mentally, emotionally, spiritually---and is basically getting messages from God through his cellphone, telling him to "reboot," take control of his life, and start anew. Given the portion I bolded above, it looks like the character is stuck in the moment of some sort of accident---he keeps replaying it in his mind, watching it over and over again, to the point that he's there waiting for himself to arrive...he's at the scene before the accident even happens, then watches it take place. God, the text messager, tells him to move on, get past this hangup and live life again.

The two songs may not be connected in that way..... However, given that Bono says the album was initially written to occur over 24 hours, and that these two songs were written in the Fez sessions, and that they both seem to have the theme of being reborn and starting afresh....I think the connection is purposeful.

Wow man superb and very helpful post well explained and interesting point of view !!

Lights... flash past...
Like memories
Head first then foot
The heart sets sail

Six o´clock
On the autoroute
Atlantic sea cut glass
African sun at last

Ohhhh...:doh:..Thank you!! I think I understand now!!!:hyper:..yes! it makes sense now!! :) I'm listening to Fez right now..perfect! :applaud:

I personally Love Fez-being born. Fez I love almost emidietly.. such a dark and experimental sound almost could be a radiohead song! and Being born was a grower but now loving it alot. I almost wish though that the Fez part was longer with those sort of instrumentals and darkness but I love the transition between the two songs! Simply amazing stuff and yes will not be a radio friendly song obviously nor will it probably be played live but who cares??? you wanted experimental well thats about as experimental as one can get!

I hadn't heard the 24 hours thing before, but I love that. It also makes sense with the Breathe June 16 reference (Ulysses reference). Excellent explanation of Fez, thank you!

They REALLY should have made Fez a lot longer. And split the tracks.

I hear the nay-sayers sharpening their axes now, but hear me out.

If FEZ was, say 4.5 mins long, and developed a bit more, I love how the bass tic-tacs around, IE the key changes give it texture in the way a chorus varies a pop song. I would have loved some more Enoisms, and a real mind-fuck.

The songs would segue in the way that ACB/ITH to on Boy.

It would have given a bigger rest from the onslaught of GOYB/SUC. It would have built up to the explosion of Being born, and it also would have made Being Born more accesible to those without the patience to 'get' the intro.

Good post.

Do you have any idea where the "line" that seperates Fez and Being Born falls? At what point in the running count? Anyone.

Also, anyone know what sounds are recorded here vs what are instruments played by U2? I am having trouble getting Fez.

I am trying to understand the lyrics- I am taking them at face value; hes barrelling down the autoroute toward Cadiz, getting the ferry back to Africa and feels reborn as he finally glimpses the African sun across the Sea. Lights flash past..., etc part seems to suggest continuation of the journey once he has gotten off the ferry, still on a highway, and experiencing a rebirth, in the metaphorical as opposed to literal sense. Another thing, someone mentioned UF/JT landscape like sounds being present here- I absolutely agree. Though different kind of songs, I can not help but think of A Sort of Homecoming when I hear this song!

Back
Top Bottom