The i don't get "Fez-Being Born" thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good post.

Do you have any idea where the "line" that seperates Fez and Being Born falls? At what point in the running count? Anyone.

Also, anyone know what sounds are recorded here vs what are instruments played by U2? I am having trouble getting Fez.

I am trying to understand the lyrics- I am taking them at face value; hes barrelling down the autoroute toward Cadiz, getting the ferry back to Africa and feels reborn as he finally glimpses the African sun across the Sea. Lights flash past..., etc part seems to suggest continuation of the journey once he has gotten off the ferry, still on a highway, and experiencing a rebirth, in the metaphorical as opposed to literal sense. Another thing, someone mentioned UF/JT landscape like sounds being present here- I absolutely agree. Though different kind of songs, I can not help but think of A Sort of Homecoming when I hear this song!

I think the line falls AFTER the bit that one interferencer described as a 'coin rolling around and into the toilet'.

That bit is the link earlier in the song, when a variation of it is played before the key change.

As far as I can tell, there is a quiet, reverbed atmospheric guitar piece, drums, bass line that drives the song, and all the voices creating that ethereal backing. The rest is peripheral noise, atmospherics etc provided by Eno

I don't get it either and it's certainly not one of my favorites on the album. Maybe it'll grow on me. So far, it hasn't.

I thought it was good on first listen, but after the second listen I absolutely loved it! :love:

My top 5 on the album, its brilliance and I hope U2 make more of these tracks on the next album. :up:

I think it's one one of the best songs on the album. I can totally immerse myself in it. I wish more of the songs were like this instead of commercial pop like Crazy Tonight.

They REALLY should have made Fez a lot longer. And split the tracks.

I hear the nay-sayers sharpening their axes now, but hear me out.

If FEZ was, say 4.5 mins long, and developed a bit more, I love how the bass tic-tacs around, IE the key changes give it texture in the way a chorus varies a pop song. I would have loved some more Enoisms, and a real mind-fuck.

I completely agree. Well, I like having it as one track, but Fez could have been much longer. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a much longer version lying around somewhere. I seriously doubt they just wrote one minute, exactly like that, with the weird transition noise and everything.

Utoo - great analysis! I'm gonna check out your thread now :wave:

I had my doubts when I heard the preview clips, I still think the transition between Fez and Being Born isn't great, they could have done more in Fez, BUT I absolutely love BB now, it has such a TUF atmosphere about it. Funny thing I read a review from someone today who clearly has not listend to the song because he says it's the lyrics are Bono's "stream of consciousness", which they are clearly not. I think these lyrics are pretty precise, I really love the mood.

I like this thread, it helps me realise whose opinions I should or shouldn't ignore.

Fez-Being Born is the best song on the album. Both halves are equally as strong as the other. However I think you need to have been exposed to a pretty big cross-section of music and/or have played and created your own music to really "get" it.

:banghead:

next time just say, "if you don't like what i like, its because i am smarter than you are."

i like the song, i just don't get why people post garbage like this.

:heart:I was thinking as Fez a baby with a soul trying to come out of the womb..and eventually makes it-that's when Being Born starts.

<>

I'm a bit baffled by this, but in the last two days I've played Fez/Being Born more than any other track...
I knew it was good, but on repeated listening it's becoming brilliant.
Is anyone else finding this?

And slightly off-topic question: who wrote Fez? Not Being Born, Fez? Would U2 have had any input in that, or is it just Eno's baby??

Fez is fantastic. That's what it's about.

What can I say, you're right. :up:

you don't know that :angry:

Actually I can totally see them playing Fez on the loud speakers, and then playing a bit of Being Born and having it segue into Boots somehow. cmon U2DO IT

I can't decide what it would segue into, but I would truly hate it if they left out anything. :drool:

Last edited:
I'm a bit baffled by this, but in the last two days I've played Fez/Being Born more than any other track...
I knew it was good, but on repeated listening it's becoming brilliant.
Is anyone else finding this?

And slightly off-topic question: who wrote Fez? Not Being Born, Fez? Would U2 have had any input in that, or is it just Eno's baby??

Brilliant, yes. It came to me last weekend. Over a few of glasses of wine and just listening.
I play it almost as much as, well, the rest of the album. The only track I leave out is Boots. Not that I don't like it, I just don't want to break the mood.
The thing about this album is that it's an album not just tracks. Regardless of what some say, it flows together beautifully.

I think the line falls AFTER the bit that one interferencer described as a 'coin rolling around and into the toilet'.

That bit is the link earlier in the song, when a variation of it is played before the key change.

As far as I can tell, there is a quiet, reverbed atmospheric guitar piece, drums, bass line that drives the song, and all the voices creating that ethereal backing. The rest is peripheral noise, atmospherics etc provided by Eno

I know exactly the part you are talking about! Sounds logical, thank you.

Thanks also for the explanation of what is going on in Fez. Figured Eno had his hands all over it, just did not know exactly what was going on.

Fez is my favorite song on the album, what a beautiful an artistic masterpeice, damn i'm loving this album more and more...

The percussion and synth sound a bit like one of the loops Eno would use to start impros with the band. However, the melody voices that follow the synth(the lower and falsetto "uuuuuuuuhhs" sound a lot more like Bono/Edge than Eno).

There's also some guitar that could be Lanois or Edge.

And you can hear some market voices and noises recorded by Eno and Lanois. Lanois explained that in an interview. They each has a pocket recorder and walked throughout the market in Fez.

The percussion and synth sound a bit like one of the loops Eno would use to start impros with the band. However, the melody voices that follow the synth(the lower and falsetto "uuuuuuuuhhs" sound a lot more like Bono/Edge than Eno).

There's also some guitar that could be Lanois or Edge.

And you can hear some market voices and noises recorded by Eno and Lanois. Lanois explained that in an interview. They each has a pocket recorder and walked throughout the market in Fez.

awesome reply, thanks!!!
haven't heard the 'market sounds' yet, or maybe i have and haven't noticed...
Fuck i love this album. Remember 1991, and having to go home each night and unpack a bit more of AB because it was just so deep.

It's happening again :D:applaud:

Fez - Being Born.... Im convinced is the best thing on the album. Its the U2 I fell in love with. Before U2 embraced pop songs, *this* is what they always did so masterfully. Bono's not doing the rap/chant/talk thing that he does so often now, hes actually singing. The band arent stiff and trying to conform to some self-inflicted standard. Its wide open, artistic.. it just flows.

I'd kill for a whole album like this. I know songs like SUC and Crazy have their fans, but that stuff drags down my U2 experience.

I think the main reason why many people can't get the song is that its a song that begs to be played over a visual. Very rarely do videos make U2 songs better, they either make the songs worse or they compliment them IMO. But, in this case I think a video for FEZ-Being Born would transform the song and make it more obvious for those who are unable to close their eyes and imagine the visual like many of us are probably doing. I close my eyes and imagine a speeding car riding along a highway parallel to a big bright sunset over the sea.

I doubt the band would ever make a video for it, but if they did then it would rise up to the top of the album as one of its stand out tracks.

Back
Top Bottom