The 'I didn't expect the album to be this great' thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nurse chrissi

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
because I didn't

and I'm now really happy - the song seem to be getting better with repeated listening

:up: Likewise, but as always this thread will be burried down along with every other positive post.

Total shock. Day 2 with bomb i was skipping a few tracks, that isnt the case with Horizon.

Total shock. Day 2 with bomb i was skipping a few tracks, that isnt the case with Horizon.

exactly. i've probably been overusing the term "Lasting Power" over the last 2 days, but the more listens i have, the more i'll know if this album has it.

the good news is, the more i listen to the album, the more i want to hear it again.

Im in this camp,everytime i hear unknown caller i really cant beleive how good t is!

When the horns come to play during UC I get a big smile. U2 really did an excellent job with NLOTH. I knew they would make a great record but nothing this mind blowing. There is so much in these songs.

When I started to read the listening party reviews I got really excited, but when the Wal-Mart clips came, I felt a little disappointed and started to think that WaS, UC, SUC, Breathe, CoL and CT wouldn't be as great as I expected. I'm so happy I was 100% wrong. UC and SUC are my fav, WaS, CoL are great and beautiful. And while it took me a little time, I'm loving CT and enjoying Breathe a lot more than in the first listen. Being proven wrong made this sound even better.:applaud: :love:

This album is the best album for them in terms of flow. I still prefer Achtung Baby but this album is close. It's the first they actually finished before releasing. Even WGRYWH wasn't complete until the Temple Bar mix. U2 should take their time and finish albums. The results are worth it.

I didn't so much dream when I was asleep last night, I just heard Moment of Surrender repeating over and over in my slumbering brain...

I always knew that u2 was the greatest band ever.... but I never knew they were capable of work of this sophistication. This is better than I believed they were capable of!!!! :ohmy:

I'm in this camp as well. Expected it to be great, as I always expect greatness from U2, but this album is even better than I had hoped. Songs that I wasn't sure I'd really get into are working for me, such as "Cedars" and even "Fez-Being Born". Fantastic album of which the boys should be very proud!

This is exactly how I feel about the album too. I had a feeling it would be good but kept telling myself in the end it will not be much different than ATYCLB or HTDAAB. I was very happy after listening to it all day yesterday.

I never listened to any beach clips so I had no real idea what the songs were going to sound like -- and I am really happy I stayed way from those clips now.

Just posted this in another thread. THought it applied here as well, so...here:

After fully absorbing the album (for about 2 days, haha), i have come to the conclusion that this is a really good album. I'm not sure if it's a great one, but it is better than good, maybe just short of greatness, but hey time will tell. I think if U2 stuck to their guns and just went hogwild with their intended adventurous ambitions, then we would've seen something close to the 3rd masterpiece. What I feel is holding back U2 this decade is the obligation to sound like world saviors. Now, anyone who heard ATYCLB and thought "this is what old U2 sounds like" obviously didn't know a thing about old U2, because U2 never were about being saviors. Look at the lyrics to ISHFWILF: this is a song clearly about being lost. It is not overtly optimistic. Neither is With Or Without You. The song "One", many think is where U2's "savior" period started. Obviously not, considering the song is about breaking up. It's not "were one, let's all love eachother", it's "were one, but we're not the same"- Big difference. What I'm trying to say is, this whole social conscious, world saving, over the top earnest sounding U2 is just something that was put forth in this decade, that actually has nothing to do with the U2 of the past. It's mostly Bono's charity and political work rubbing off in his lyrics and approach to music, and it's the casual listener's miscomprehension of U2's earlier lyrics and songs, lyrics and songs that were plagued with doubt and fear. On this album, I feel like U2 needed to have CT and SUC as insurance plans, to bail the album out of becoming too dark, and also to cater to the needs of this generation's U2 fans, the fans that want U2 to save them and comfort them. Don't get me wrong, these aren't horrible songs, but they're what's holding U2 back. I think if this record is a smash, U2 will probably feel more brave and more inclined to go beyond what they did here, but if it does mediocre, then i'm truly gonna be pessimistic about the next record. But at the end of the day, i'm just glad they released a gripping album like NLOTH.

As it stands, Unforgettable Fire, for me, is still the 3rd masterpice, Achtung 2nd and JT in the top slot. I think Zooropa and POP are the great albums that just fall short of masterpieces. NLOTH I put in the same category as Boy and War, the two albums for me that are really really good but not quite great. However, NLOTH does definitely more than outshine R&H, October, ATYCLB and basically anything beats the BOMB. So, as it stands, this is an album that could be one of the great ones - (Zooropa and POP) - but i doubt it will ever be considered their 3rd or 4th masterpiece.

This album is the best album for them in terms of flow. I still prefer Achtung Baby but this album is close. It's the first they actually finished before releasing. Even WGRYWH wasn't complete until the Temple Bar mix. U2 should take their time and finish albums. The results are worth it.

The funny thing is - I have always preferred the album version. I love the My Bloody Valentine-Loveless intro...

That being said - this album has the feel that it sounds EXACTLY how the boys wanted it to sound. There is not even a hint of anything being rushed or incomplete. It has exceeded my expectations - which were high. I knew they were going to surprise me - I just didn't know it was a going to be this big of surprise! I feel like a better man for having listened to it.

Unlike many others here, I loved their last two albums (and I an old timer from the 80's). They never surpassed Achtung Baby as my favorite, but I still thought they were great records. However, you can tell almost instantly with NLOTH that U2 has reached yet another peak. Yes, they still sound like U2 (and thank God for that!) - but they also sound new and exciting. FEZ-Being Born is the point in this album where I said "Yep, they did it! They hit a grand slam!"

Good for them and good for me :)

I don't know what I expected. I didn't keep up with the beach clips or any of the hype or articles about how it was coming along. I'm not really into the whole process, just give me the end product and I will either like it or not. I didn't care if I liked it or not as long as it wasn't absolute shite. My top 5 U2 songs are all at least a decade old and will never be touched. I wasn't so sure after hearing Boots a few times, but I am liking most of the other songs a lot better than Boots. It will grow on me.

Just posted this in another thread. THought it applied here as well, so...here:

After fully absorbing the album (for about 2 days, haha), i have come to the conclusion that this is a really good album. I'm not sure if it's a great one, but it is better than good, maybe just short of greatness, but hey time will tell. I think if U2 stuck to their guns and just went hogwild with their intended adventurous ambitions, then we would've seen something close to the 3rd masterpiece. What I feel is holding back U2 this decade is the obligation to sound like world saviors. Now, anyone who heard ATYCLB and thought "this is what old U2 sounds like" obviously didn't know a thing about old U2, because U2 never were about being saviors. Look at the lyrics to ISHFWILF: this is a song clearly about being lost. It is not overtly optimistic. Neither is With Or Without You. The song "One", many think is where U2's "savior" period started. Obviously not, considering the song is about breaking up. It's not "were one, let's all love eachother", it's "were one, but we're not the same"- Big difference. What I'm trying to say is, this whole social conscious, world saving, over the top earnest sounding U2 is just something that was put forth in this decade, that actually has nothing to do with the U2 of the past. It's mostly Bono's charity and political work rubbing off in his lyrics and approach to music, and it's the casual listener's miscomprehension of U2's earlier lyrics and songs, lyrics and songs that were plagued with doubt and fear. On this album, I feel like U2 needed to have CT and SUC as insurance plans, to bail the album out of becoming too dark, and also to cater to the needs of this generation's U2 fans, the fans that want U2 to save them and comfort them. Don't get me wrong, these aren't horrible songs, but they're what's holding U2 back. I think if this record is a smash, U2 will probably feel more brave and more inclined to go beyond what they did here, but if it does mediocre, then i'm truly gonna be pessimistic about the next record. But at the end of the day, i'm just glad they released a gripping album like NLOTH.

As it stands, Unforgettable Fire, for me, is still the 3rd masterpice, Achtung 2nd and JT in the top slot. I think Zooropa and POP are the great albums that just fall short of masterpieces. NLOTH I put in the same category as Boy and War, the two albums for me that are really really good but not quite great. However, NLOTH does definitely more than outshine R&H, October, ATYCLB and basically anything beats the BOMB. So, as it stands, this is an album that could be one of the great ones - (Zooropa and POP) - but i doubt it will ever be considered their 3rd or 4th masterpiece.

Extremely interesting post. You've given me something to think about. But I do disagree about those two tracks. They're good songs! Especially Stand Up Comedy..... I hope they grow on you.

It did much more than meet my expectation. Its on repeat in my ipod for the last 2 days and getting better every time. Much different then Bomb that i listen to all the way through twice then repeated the first half a few times and then just settled on keeping COBL on repeat. this one i think will stand the test of time

The funny thing is - I have always preferred the album version. I love the My Bloody Valentine-Loveless intro...

It's my favorite song and the version that got me into U2 in Junior High. The album version is not bad either and I like Loveless. Another example would be that the live ZOOTV version of Love is blindness is finished compared to the album version. The collection of 12 songs is the strongest they've done for me, but we agree this new album is totally finished.

Can't wait for the next album. If I want a double album I can take the next one and listen to it after NLOTH.

Extremely interesting post. You've given me something to think about. But I do disagree about those two tracks. They're good songs! Especially Stand Up Comedy..... I hope they grow on you.
I think CT and SUC are decent songs, just not songs i see myself returning to very often in the future. I think CT has already gotten old for me, sadly. Thank God they put that "baby baby baby" part in there, it totally redeems the song.

It's an essential, maybe existential album, I feel it's the album they just had to made, I'm totally blown away by it, it's really better than I expected. I always look into the future, never into the past, so I don't have that: All their good songs were in the past attitude. I was really willing to give that album a chance to appeal to me, and it did, almost immediatly, so I'm very happy right now.

Oh yes, and I just fell in love with Breathe and Stand up comedy, two of the songs that I didn't get right away.

It's an essential, maybe existential album, I feel it's the album they just had to made, I'm totally blown away by it, it's really better than I expected. I always look into the future, never into the past, so I don't have that: All their good songs were in the past attitude.

I agree. Taking ownership and nostalgia of old songs forces U2 to compete against themselves and as Adam Clayton said they "don't want to lose." If you listen to this album like it was some other band it frees you up to enjoy it on its own terms.

From all the reviews about the sonic eno sounds, and hearing boots, i was more than worried about the album, also after hearing bono sound so bad at the cannes in 2007, things coudnt of looked worse, but since i heard them 45 second clips, and NOTLH 2 i though yes, and yesterday i got the full album, wow amazing, every song im just dancing to and going crazy, im only 14 and have been a big fan for about 7 years now, so i dont know what it was like when there other best albums first came out, but i certainly love this one.

It's my favorite song and the version that got me into U2 in Junior High. The album version is not bad either and I like Loveless. Another example would be that the live ZOOTV version of Love is blindness is finished compared to the album version. The collection of 12 songs is the strongest they've done for me, but we agree this new album is totally finished.

Can't wait for the next album. If I want a double album I can take the next one and listen to it after NLOTH.

Add me to the list of those who prefer the album version of Horses.... damn good song!!!

Back
Top Bottom