The greatest moment on SOE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RABIDLAMB

The Fly
What is your highest point on the album ?

Mine would have to be the "Nooooooo No No" coming out of the middle 8 on Red Flag Day, this is as close to early U2 as I've heard in years.

Close 2nd to "Weightless" on Landlady.

Easy. The “moonlight on Killiney Bay” section of LIB.

Edited to correct the original incorrect location.

Last edited:
Now that we've heard the record, I wish I could live in an alternate reality where they released an entire album in the vein of Red Flag Day (modern War vibe). It fits thematically with the times and the sound is just too damn good. That said, this album does have quite the run of strong songs.

Killiney Bay, the ending verse of Landlady, and the post-Something portion of TLTTGYA are all wonderful answers and probably the correct answers. I also love:

* Edge's vocal on The Best Thing
* the key change/extra instruments kicking in on the "I've been thinking 'bout the west coast..." line in Summer Of Love

The build in Little Things, but specifically the last step just before it hits the peak. The lyrics is:

"Sometimes the end is not coming
It’s not coming
The end is here
Sometimes"

Then it hits the peak. Hard to say I why I prefer the anticipation to the actual peak, but maybe its the drums.

Little things is that lump in the throat, hairs on the back of your neck moment.

Summer of love is the wow what a tune moment

I really don't get the fascination with love is bigger or landlady it's my two least favourite tracks on the record

There are several, soooooo........

1- "If you listen you can hear the silence say, when you think you're done, you've just begun"

2- the whole "Sometimes" section of Little Things but the standout part for me is "sometimes, I wake at 4 in the morning, when the darkness is swarming and it covers me in fear.

3- "it is what it is but it's not what it seems"

4-the "every" section at the end of Land Lady

5-the chorus to Black Out "When the lights go out and throw yourself about in the darkness where we learn to see. When the lights go out, don't you ever doubt the light that you can really be"

6- the backing "ooohs" by Edge in the chorus of Get Out of Your Own Way

Little things is that lump in the throat, hairs on the back of your neck moment.

Summer of love is the wow what a tune moment

I really don't get the fascination with love is bigger or landlady it's my two least favourite tracks on the record

Top 3 songs on the album for me:

Little Things
Love is Bigger
Summer of Love

Love is Bigger has that classic U2 anthem feel, I really love it.

sorry, my bad. was typing quickly on my phone.

I agree heard it in the car today and had to rewind to hear that line again... perfect (wrong quote above but what you said, the Killiney Bay line)

Last edited:
There are lots of great moments on SOE and it is really hard to pick just one, so I'll list a few.

- The "bridge" on LIAWHL. "I saw you at the other end of the telescope, 7 billion stars..."
- Edge singing the bridge of Best Thing
- The "siren" guitar at the end of American Soul
-The NO bridge on Red Flag Day
- The second half of Landlady
- The breakdown and build up on The Blackout
- The bridge on Love is Bigger
- The verse on 13 with the lyrics "I've got a question, for the child in you before it leaves...are you tough enough to be kind? Do you know your heart has it's own mind? Darkness gathers around the light. Hold on. Hold on" For whatever reason that verse hits me really hard.
- On Book of Your Heart, the crescendo at the end of the song is amazing. "Babe I don't belong to you, love is what we choose to do, babe you don't belong to me, it's not that easy." This is the style of U2 that captivated me and made me a fan of the band. I would say it's my second favorite moment on the album.

If I had to pick the high point on the album though, it'd have to be The Little Things That Give You Away. Having dealt with some severe health issues over the last 6 months, PTSD, anxiety and depression, this entire song is spine tingling as to how closely I can relate to it.

Back
Top Bottom