The greatest moment on SOE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have to agree with the general consensus here: the finales of Little Things and Landlady.

I also love Bono's falsetto before the Landlady finale, complemented by Edge's guitar lick.

Yes, that moment that goes into the finale, the interplay that happens before Bono starts the "every..." and the sound that Edge makes is just magical. It takes me back to Edge's playing in the earlier song Tomorrow.

Which makes me think during the song The Blackout Edge's guitar right after Bono sings "what we had is not coming back", neat little lick right there.

The whole of The Blackout,and Red Flag Day are standouts.

The Blackout is really a great song from
start to finish. It never gets boring or complacent and is a really fun ride from start to finish.

Red Flag Day has grown on me a bit and I’m enjoying that a bit more now.

And a shout out again to Little Things as it is just....classic. I put this song up with the best of their songs from ANY decade. What a gorgeous tune.

I think my favourite part of the album is when we see Bono making fun of himself in The Showman, but then when it switches to Little Things you can tell that it hurts. :hmm:

I actually prefer the front half of Little Things over the back half.

The delivery of the song's title is fantastic, and it may be my favourite moment from SOE.

The overlapping vocals from Bono and Edge.. "Red Flag Day (hey hey)" is another resonant moment.

This may not be the loudest or most memorable moment but when he says “...guard your innocence...” on the last track, it resonates powerfully and always leaves a lump in my throat. I feel like that moment sums up the entirety of message of the album.

I think my favourite part of the album is when we see Bono making fun of himself in The Showman, but then when it switches to Little Things you can tell that it hurts. :hmm:
:up:

Absolutely. One of the first things that struck me about the album was the placement of these two songs - they are drastically different in music and mood, yet more or less tackle the same subject matter.

It's Bono's self deprecating public self vs his inner depression.

Little Things is amazing. I wish I had heard it live after its release as I really did not appreciate it at all when they played it in Seattle. In fact I don't think anyone did, the stadium went basically dead.

The second half of little things is painfully honest and beautiful. I don’t understand anyone who doesn’t feel it in their core.

Last edited:
:up:

Absolutely. One of the first things that struck me about the album was the placement of these two songs - they are drastically different in music and mood, yet more or less tackle the same subject matter.

It's Bono's self deprecating public self vs his inner depression.

Because he's successful a lot of people don't care, but Bono is a person and has feelings.

"Is Bono okay?" :sad:

Mental health is obviously something that can impact anyone regardless if social or economic status - but yea, most people don't consider wealthy celebrities as people who can suffer from depression.

But if you go back and listen to this album with the idea that the writer may have been suffering from depression, some of the lyrics really start to pop out.

Mental health is obviously something that can impact anyone regardless if social or economic status - but yea, most people don't consider wealthy celebrities as people who can suffer from depression.

But if you go back and listen to this album with the idea that the writer may have been suffering from depression, some of the lyrics really start to pop out.
And that's just the showman,album bets better with each listen. Well apart from get out your own way.

There are a few contenders.

The build up and coda of Little Things - "Sometimes, I wake at 4 in the morning, where all the darkness is swarming, and it covers me in fear". Wow.

The coda of Landlady - "Every wave that broke me....".

Love Is Bigger - Vocals in the chorus, especially second one when his voice cracks a little (to my ears), it sounds like he's giving everything. Also the middle 8/bridge "If the moonlight caught you crying....... when you think you're done, you've just begun". Hard not to get swept away with it.

Love Is All We Have Left - This is a perfect intro for me, every time I hear it I'm excited for the rest of the album.

Love is All We Have Left - Best opener since Zooropa in my opinion. Sets the tone for the album. Bono at his most vulnerable. Near death, floating outside the body and looking down on the world...

Summer of Love - Just a cool, effortless feeling song.

Red Flag - One of my favorites in years. Wish the guitar intro was different, but everything after that is awesome. especially the No, No, NOOOOOO classic U2 in modern wrapping.

Little Things - especially the first half, but another song showcasing bono's state of mind and body the past few years

Landlady!! Just love this song. First half again better for me. But the one i return to again and again.

and 13. Did not like SFS, but this is a completely different animal. "I know the world is done, but you don't have to be" hits me
"Guard your innocence, from hallucination, and that darkness always gathers around the light" - ugh. beautiful. As a father, this one hits

The end of The Little Things is the most epic moment on any U2 record probably since the early 90s.

The ending of Grace is just so much better, more of a thank god that songs ended

And the ship that
Stole your heart away
Sets sail
When all you've left
Is leaving

Love is All We Have Left - Best opener since Zooropa in my opinion. Sets the tone for the album. Bono at his most vulnerable. Near death, floating outside the body and looking down on the world...

Summer of Love - Just a cool, effortless feeling song.

Red Flag - One of my favorites in years. Wish the guitar intro was different, but everything after that is awesome. especially the No, No, NOOOOOO classic U2 in modern wrapping.

Little Things - especially the first half, but another song showcasing bono's state of mind and body the past few years

Landlady!! Just love this song. First half again better for me. But the one i return to again and again.

and 13. Did not like SFS, but this is a completely different animal. "I know the world is done, but you don't have to be" hits me
"Guard your innocence, from hallucination, and that darkness always gathers around the light" - ugh. beautiful. As a father, this one hits
Agree with all of this except around Landlady. Can't get into that song.

I am very high on 13 though. Doesn't get enough love imo.

Love is All We Have Left is the highlight for me, followed by Red Flag Day and Summer of Love and that's about it.

Little things,the blackout. Book of your heart?

I wasn't keen on the album version of Little Things though it's still a good song.

Not a fan of The Blackout at all, don't get the love for it.

I agree with you on Book of Your Heart, should have been on the album.

Every dawn that woke me was to get me home to you, see?

That entire ending of Landlady that starts with "Every wave that broke me..." through the end is one of the finer moments in their canon. Never ceases to tug at the heart strings and give me goose bumps.

Best part of the album is the build up and crescendo at the of Little Things.

Also the string version of Lights of Home. The BBC Abbey Road performance of this with the orchestra was exceptional:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom