The Edge to be on 102.1 the Edge / Alan Cross Reviews 'Get On Your Boots'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OK, "I don't wanna talk about war between the nations..." is, I think, at 1:26-1:30.

The "submarine/gasoline" line (sounds like "I've got submarine/you've got gasoline," but who knows) is right out front, from 0:09 to 0:12..

That is what it sounds like...omg.

I think the rhyme is very connected to the title. I believe the boots are like army boots. It's a very iraq war theme (war for oil etc). Submarine, navy blah blah, I think its actually going to be a meaningful song, rather than Vertigo 2, but titled as a fun popish romp so the 13 year old girls like it

Let's pray you're right my friend! :wave:

I think the rhyme is very connected to the title. I believe the boots are like army boots. It's a very iraq war theme (war for oil etc). Submarine, navy blah blah, I think its actually going to be a meaningful song, rather than Vertigo 2, but titled as a fun popish romp so the 13 year old girls like it

Hmm, good call, I can see that being the case. :up:

But are army boots sexy? :wink:

The "submarine/gasoline" line (sounds like "I've got submarine/you've got gasoline," but who knows) is right out front, from 0:09 to 0:12.

I can hear this clearly. And yes, it does sound like "I've got submarine/you've got gasoline", no more, no less.

You didn't just now. But you posted that head smacking (don't know the code for it) smiley about his Pop comments, and it's no secret that you don't hold HTDAAB in the highest regard. I was just guessing that if his negative comments had agreed with your opinions and been about HTDAAB, as opposed to being about an album you do like, it would have been fine with you. No biggie, just an observation, and maybe I'm wrong.

You're wrong. :tongue:

Well, I do think that HTDAAB is okay but not as good as Pop. So yeah maybe if his comment had been the other way around, it wouldn't have bothered me. I'm just kinda :huh: how so many people think Pop is an album of duds when it was so interesting! And they praise ATYCLB when the album is pretty bland, although quite decent too. Meh.

Alan Cross is not sure what to think of about GOYB after the first listening. He got a vibe
similar to first listening of " The Fly". That's a good thing.

The feeling I got was of a layered song. That was one of the things I really wanted from this album, so I'm excited. Of course, it's Eno/Lanois, so it sort of comes with the territory.

Yeah, he's definitely a casual fan, so I wouldnt read too much into anything he says. Anyway, it's all going to come down to your own ears.

As long as the lyrics don't make me cringe I really don't care what they are, to be honest. The music is what I'm more excited about.

I only heard the beach clips once many months ago, so I have no idea what the song sounds like, but I've got GYOB stuck in my head to Oasis's Turn Up the Sun from Don't Believe the Truth. Which makes no sense since that's a mid-tempo track, and GYBO is 150 bpm. But try it!

Oh yeah, and I've also got NLOTH stuck in my head to a tune I came up with on my own. It's not particularly good though. Go figure.

The Beach Clips are so good...:drool:

BC1-Edge's best post-Fly solo, that chanting chorus:love:
BC2-inventive, angry verses, chiming guitar
BC3-sexy groove, another cool verse technique
BC4-classic U2 making the best (or 2nd best :drool:) song on TUF 20 years later
BC5-mellow, very pretty, "tide" (I think EBW but have heard CT), and (few have commented on this) the return of the falsetto

you really can hear the lyric "I've got submarine, you've got gasoline in the beach clip"!

I would have to agree that this song is more layered than previously thought given the title and the single line of lyric we've been given.

There really does seem to be a bit of a 'war' theme going on with the album, (among others as usual) time will tell of course, can;t wait to hear the final version!

You're wrong. :tongue:

Well, I do think that HTDAAB is okay but not as good as Pop. So yeah maybe if his comment had been the other way around, it wouldn't have bothered me. I'm just kinda :huh: how so many people think Pop is an album of duds when it was so interesting! And they praise ATYCLB when the album is pretty bland, although quite decent too. Meh.

Meh? See? You really *are* an 00's h8r boi. :wink:

I agree though, I love Pop. I can see how it would strike some as being superficial and throwaway at first, but it's not, it's very substantial when you dig into it. Maybe it's just not his thing?

I'm back from night skiing at Blue.....what did I miss???

joking...

I got the same email from Alan.

What I like is the fact its a fast 3 minute song, so there will be little to no bridge in the track....very cool...and in line with The Fly, which was my prediction from long ago.

I'm gonna tell you something intersting... i didn't like the beach clip 3 (boots) but as i kept repeating it now i dig this "song". The riff is a killer. And the brigde is very good either. And boy, it's fast!

The article mentions mentions a time they started listening, and a time when they finished.

Oh...

I'm back from night skiing at Blue.....what did I miss???

joking...

I got the same email from Alan.

What I like is the fact its a fast 3 minute song, so there will be little to no bridge in the track....very cool...and in line with The Fly, which was my prediction from long ago.

3 minutes, but I wanted 4.

It could be an approximation, but BC3 times in at 3:18.

For reference, Vertigo is 3:16, and Native Son is 3:08.

If the song isn’t on the radio by the end of this week, I’ll be shocked. I first heard bits of “How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb” from a broadcast on a Croatian radio station. There was a leak at the record pressing plant and somehow this dude got himself a big scoop.

Tomorrow, I’ll tell you why that was a dumb, dumb move.

I wonder what he means by the last line.

Back
Top Bottom