The Edge interview on the tour and NLOTH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hmm, I think you can read the Rubin quote 2 ways:

a) the Rubin stuff is on the next album

b) when Edge says 'project' he doesn't mean album. He is referring to NLOTH and SOA as a prject as they are companions. The NEXT project is whatever comes next.

I think b is more likely

What I took from that article is that U2 seem to be better these days when they write songs quickly. My fave ones on the album (NLOTH, WAS, MOS, UC) were the songs Edge said they came up with and recorded quickly, while my least faves were ones they took a while on (CT, SUC). This is just my opinion tho, of course.

It's really too bad Eno or Lanois weren't in the room to have them leave some of those Bomb songs alone. That album suffered because of the Stand Up Comedy syndrome of squeezing a possibly cool idea into a 'perfected' banal toad.

Not that I want to start a discussion or a debate on this but there isn't any question why myself and others prefer the alternate Bomb tracks.

They were left well enough alone.

What were they going to do, delay it another year?
Re-write it once more in a week?
Was he going to say "this stuff isn't any good" when he's not even the producer?

Maybe he did like it, it's digestible enough to last a fucking week.
Maybe he thought it was crap.

Either way it would have been different had he been the co-producer from the jump.

I took from his comments he didn't like the turn on a few songs from NLOTH, but that requires a perception of fallibility on behalf of the band and it's camp.

They did delay it. Just like Pop and NLOTH.

Given their long relationship, I'd be amazed if they didn't get his opinion on Bomb in that week. And I certainly think it's possible his take on the album, along with Adam and Larry saying no, had influenced Bono and Edge in the delay.

Of course a different producer would be different to work with, but I don't think Eno and Lanois would radically change the old school sound/hunt for 11 singles mentality U2 were going into anyway.

this is quite interesting:
The way I understand it you put some stuff down with Rick Rubin earlier, will that ever see the light of day?

I have no doubt it will. We didn't so much put stuff down as we did a lot of songwriting sessions with Rick. Rick's approach is very different to our normal approach. He suggested that we should try to treat the studio as a sort of sacred place and only to go there if you really know what you're doing and have it all figured out. So we were trying that and we were getting places. But we decided we'd also work with Danny and Brian and that session sort of took off, so we still have the Rick stuff that we're working on. It could be part of the next project, I would think. We've got a lot of great material we worked up with Rick and also a lot more stuff we worked up with Brian and Danny.
i also think that it could be a great thing to work with rubin as he will bring in something new. so probably we will hear this stuff someday. :drool:

Back
Top Bottom