The Crystal Ballroom Admiration Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Of course it makes sense for TCB to be a single! I would say a third single after EBW would make the most sense. But remember, they are really only pushing the deluxe version now. And once it's available on iTunes to actually purchase as a separate track, than it really doesn't matter anymore. If its a hit, people will buy the single track and some will buy the whole deluxe package.

But releasing the 12" version is absolutely ridiculous. A 7 and a half minute song? uh... No. U2 can be stupid about singles, but this would be a new level of stupid.

The 2 best choices for singles are for me:

Volcano
California

I'm not saying they are the best songs, just that they could attract new fans easily.... much easier than Crystal Ballroom or EBW.

As much as I love this song, I don't think it would make a dent in the radio.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Edge: I love it too, it came in a very natural way, but we set it aside to focus on the most difficult issues. When we listened to the incredible remix that Tchad Blake did (the 12'' one?), we realized how powerful it was. I think Adam has played one of his best bass parts on that. We do not know what the next single will be, but I think it is one of the best songs, so do not be surprised if we choose it.

I'm not sure why they needed the 12 inch version to show them that this is a great song. Other than the extended outro it's quite similar to the DM version. The Edge doesn't seem to give mousy much credit at all.

That it's the 12'' version is a theory of mine, he simply talks about a great remix of it by Tchad Blake.

:up:

Wow I really can't get enough of this song..... great great tune. I hope we hear it live!

Love TCB- I play Invisible/Lucifer/TCB and discard the acoustic versions. The originals are better in every case.

Yeah, I agree. The only song I see having any chance is Every Breaking Wave, rock version. The acoustic version won't appeal to most teenagers.

Every Breaking Wave is the obvious choice considering the bass line is close to the bands biggest "hit". The Crystal Ballroom would be a stellar personal choice for a single!

Let's get this straight.

If you mean "getting on the radio" as in Top 40, rubbing shoulders with the Taylor Swifts and Biebers of the world, then no; not this song, not any U2 song, will get played on the radio ever again.

If you mean radio play as in adult contemporary, alternative, AAA, popular on streaming apps and the such, then yes... this song, and others by U2, can absolutely be a radio hit.

Let's get this straight.

If you mean "getting on the radio" as in Top 40, rubbing shoulders with the Taylor Swifts and Biebers of the world, then no; not this song, not any U2 song, will get played on the radio ever again.

If you mean radio play as in adult contemporary, alternative, AAA, popular on streaming apps and the such, then yes... this song, and others by U2, can absolutely be a radio hit.

I actually think Raised By Wolves would have a good shot in radio. It is unique enough (and 'catchy' enough) that I think it could rub shoulders with the Swifts and Biebers of the world. Volcano would be my second choice. People keep mentioning EBW as an obvious choice, and I love the song, but it is relatively boring. Definitely not TCB, unless the remix is dramatically flashier.

The singles should go like this:

Every Breaking Wave
California
The Crystal Ballroom (with special dance mix)
The Troubles

The people who listen to top 40 radio just aren't U2 fans. They could write a song better than Bad and Streets combined and it would probably peak at like 47.

When I first heard the title Crystal Ballroom I kind of had a hunch that it was going to sound like something that could have been on Pop. A dance groove that I could see in the tour back to back with Discotheque.

i would love this so much.

probably the best song from the SOI sessions. this and Sleep Like A Baby Tonight prove the band hasn't completely forgotten the majesty of Pop. fantastically produced, I really miss this kind of intricate layering from 00s U2. also nice to see an extended solo from Edge.

really think this should be a single. the chorus is insanely catchy and it's a much funkier song than most people would expect from U2. i played it for a friend and he had no idea it was U2 but really loved it.

Just this morning I realized how much this song remind's me of The Stone's Miss You. They both take that disco feel, subtract the cheese and make it super dirty and fun. I have fantasies of a live performance which, while that it may not actually happen, I will continue to enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuRxXRuAz-I

Just this morning I realized how much this song remind's me of The Stone's Miss You. They both take that disco feel, subtract the cheese and make it super dirty and fun. I have fantasies of a live performance which, while that it may not actually happen, I will continue to enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuRxXRuAz-I

:up: great comparison

Let's get this straight.

Who is Taylor Swift?

Did Justin Bieber have another hit single except Baby, baby?

I got lost apparently.

The singles should go like this:

Every Breaking Wave
California
The Crystal Ballroom (with special dance mix)
The Troubles

The only one I would agree with is The Troubles, which is sufficiently unique in mood and textures to at least get noticed. Still undecided on TCB (as of now, not sure what merits the acclaim it's been getting here). EBW is the new Magnificent, nice and boring and nice and whatever. California is cheese fondue (easily worst song on the album after the truly wretched Volcano, which is as awful as a U2 song gets really).

Back
Top Bottom