The Crystal Ballroom Admiration Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I really don't like Bono's delivery on this song. The breathless singing combined with the lyrics is very silly. He's trying to create an atmosphere of breathless romantic anticipation, but it's really distracting. Still, it's a great song. One of the best performances on record by the band in a while.

A few songs in a brief session doesn't count as a full on album production job. And unlike never-again-mentioned Chris Thomas sessions in 2003, they did say they would like to work with him again.

It wasn't a full production job because it was aborted. It was intended to be an album produced by Rubin. They didn't work well together because Rubin doesn't work the way U2 does, ie waiting for the magic and ask that stuff.

So they went back to work with Eno... again. Thinking that was the only way they could be successful. And No Line wasn't...

So ultimately the Rubin sessions and subsequent sub par album led us to their current state.

Good cover.

But I hate these vover bands that try to immitate the band visually. Mainly when the singer tries to move, pose like Bono, that is ultimately embarrassing :)

I thought that the solo would perhaps sound good live. But it doesn´t :)

Good cover.

But I hate these vover bands that try to immitate the band visually. Mainly when the singer tries to move, pose like Bono, that is ultimately embarrassing :)

I thought that the solo would perhaps sound good live. But it doesn´t :)

That's true. When I look at a video of a cover band and they try be exactly like the band it's like, "well that sucked" and I didn't watch two seconds of the video. :angry: Plus these guys are GREEEEEAT!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMqWvNtsdng

That's true. When I look at a video of a cover band and they try be exactly like the band it's like, "well that sucked" and I didn't watch two seconds of the video. :angry: Plus these guys are GREEEEEAT!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMqWvNtsdng

They are best, they do a lot of rare songs like Acrobat, Fez, Heartland, Two sunrises, Love comes Thumbling. Sometimes they sound better then U2 does :)

Sorry if this has been discussed already.....but on your bonus disc, do you hear a slight 'skip' at approx 4:35 of Crystal Ballroom? Must be loud to hear it, but I don't think it's just a scratch on my cd

the 12 inch mix really goes to a mid 80s New Order place. Same with Invisible. Not that pretty much everything they've done isn't built on a Joy Division foundation, but it's nice to hear some New Order for once.

This is the best song on the record, one of the best they've ever done, should have been the single, and should be played at every show. The groove is incredible, great guitar playing, and it's just a perfect composition.

the 12 inch mix really goes to a mid 80s New Order place. Same with Invisible. Not that pretty much everything they've done isn't built on a Joy Division foundation, but it's nice to hear some New Order for once.

This is the best song on the record, one of the best they've ever done, should have been the single, and should be played at every show. The groove is incredible, great guitar playing, and it's just a perfect composition.

Felt exactly the same way about both songs. Best shit they've done in a good long while. That and Iris. Ballroom is a main stage/full production track though, not e stage.

Not the biggest fan of the cockrock-ish stuff but it's fun live.

Sent from __________

Crystal Ballroom should be done in the first set; maybe plug it in after Iris. Have it go Iris-TCB-SFS-Cedarwood. That would flow well thematically and musically.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

Lol, Do you guys love Crystal Ballroom so much that you want to pull out your cd copy and listen for 'glitch' at 4:35 when played at high volume, for me?:wink:

Good song, great bonus track. Live it is OK. They need to rehearse it more. Should have made the album but does not bother me that it didn't. When I make a playlist of the full album I include it and Invisible. So no big deal to me. This day in age it doesn't matter as much as long as it gets released in some way. :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom