The Club Album - Will.I.Am

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Registered Dude

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
ok, not to toot my own horn.. but I had a feeling Artificial Horizon hinted to U2's future direction.. and rumors of this club project seem to prove it.

What I can't figure it what they're going for.. what exactly will a "club-sounding" U2 record of new material sound like? the Crazy Remix? Pop part II? the Melon remixes? OONTSy?

let's look to the people Bono's name-checked..

1. David Guetta...I have to admit this is the first time I heard of the guy.. I took a look at his production/remixing credits and you can't deny he's a House power..um..house.. I really can't picture what his role would be with U2.. producer? mixer? vibe master? maybe something akin to Howie B's role in POP.. whatever it is, this guy makes bright, slick music.

2. RedOne... similar to Guetta? I see he's worked with Usher, Mika, Lady Gaga.. seems to have an ear for a hit..

3. Will.i.am.. hard to seperate from Black Eyed Peas.. but obviously the band liked working with him on NLOTH. certainly, he's produced a wide range of artists.. he too seems to create this pristine, bright sound. no matter the genre.

R&B/Adult Contemp.
YouTube - Sting - Whenever I Say Your Name

straight-up-hiphop
YouTube - Love - Mos Def: Black On Both Sides

soul:
YouTube - John Legend - Get Lifted (1/6)

pure pop:
YouTube - Black Eyed Peas - Imma Be (Official HQ)

4. there's also Dave Hollister.. who tweeted about working with U2 some time back.. he'd fit in nicely with this mix.

So, all this considered.. what on earth are they going for?

My guess is that they still feel they have something to prove in light of POP's failure. they want to fuse U2 brand rock n roll with club rhythms and sensibilities. why? well dance music is king of the world these days and it represents the cutting edge of technology. I think U2 are attracted to this and the possibilities it presents.

but like Mofo, like Crazy Tonight live, these songs wont be club songs.. they will be U2-sounding songs..

now refute me suckas!

The oonts oonts album ? It will likely sound similar to the other times U2 dabbled in dance music.

It will likely sound similar to the other times U2 dabbled in dance music.

Which has been very rare in album form.

I mentioned this before but I think it would be cool to do a club album using live instruments, similar to what they are doing with Crazy, similar to Club Foot by Kasabian, more congo work like Night and Day... I think that would be a very interesting album.

If they try a club album and it fails to get a hit they will suddently rediscover the blues and country and hire T-Bone Burnett. :lol:

Don't knock T-Bone -- he gets good shit out of his musicians. I think a Rubin/T-Bone album would be really interesting for U2...

I mentioned this before but I think it would be cool to do a club album using live instruments, similar to what they are doing with Crazy, similar to Club Foot by Kasabian, more congo work like Night and Day... I think that would be a very interesting album.

that Kasabian album is a good example of what I'm thinking they're leaning toward..

as is TV on the Radio
YouTube - TV On The Radio - Crying

I have no idea what to expect from this. It's either going be really awesome or it's going to suck terribly. OONTS OONTS music is not my favorite, but a U2 interpretation of OONTS might be interesting. I'm counting on Larry to make sure it doesn't get released if it isn't good. :wink:

Is there confirmation that this is an album of original music? May just be another nondescript remix album with production from the noted artists.

Is there confirmation that this is an album of original music? May just be another nondescript remix album with production from the noted artists.
Judging from Bono's comments about it in interviews, this is an original album.

OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS

:dance:

im thinking in the vein og magnificent except a little more rhythm a little less U2.

I heard magnifincent on the radio immediately followed by MGMT kids, which fit well together....

I think they should go about it in a different way. Instead of writing for a club album, which is difficult to do and, if we're being honest with eachother, very out of U2's element, I think they should write a bunch of U2 songs and record them as if they were going on a typical U2 record.

THEN

They should not release those songs, but hand them to a bunch of hip-hop and club music producers like Timbaland, The Neptunes, Kanye West, Guetta, Justice, Daft Punk, etc and tell them to remix the songs.

THEN pick the best remixes and release THOSE as the club album. It'll work much better.

i hate to sound pessimistic, but i really don't see this album ever seeing the light of day. we'll be lucky to get the Danger Mouse album next spring, then it will be a long time before another album comes out.

I'm holding out hope for something similar to the Get On Your Boots Justice Mix for the "club album".

I think they should go about it in a different way. Instead of writing for a club album, which is difficult to do and, if we're being honest with eachother, very out of U2's element, I think they should write a bunch of U2 songs and record them as if they were going on a typical U2 record.

THEN

They should not release those songs, but hand them to a bunch of hip-hop and club music producers like Timbaland, The Neptunes, Kanye West, Guetta, Justice, Daft Punk, etc and tell them to remix the songs.

THEN pick the best remixes and release THOSE as the club album. It'll work much better.
This is quite a good idea. :hmm:

I'm holding out hope for something similar to the Get On Your Boots Justice Mix for the "club album".

I would bet any money that had they released the Justice remix and sneakily passed it off as their own original version of Boots, we would not be here today talking about what made NLOTH a relative commercial failure.

I think they should work with the Fish Out Of The Water-guys as the main producers on this one.
They provided the best bunch of U2 remixes I've ever heard, no need to bring in the "hip" guys...:angel:

I would bet any money that had they released the Justice remix and sneakily passed it off as their own original version of Boots, we would not be here today talking about what made NLOTH a relative commercial failure.

That's what my wife (who is not a hardcore fan) said when I played it for her.

The Justice remix of Boots is precisely what inspired my "just record songs and release the remixes as the originals" idea. That remix is fantastic.

THEN

hmmm.. you know what.. this might just be their plan..
especially considering they've named a few producers/remixers for this project, not just one.

rave_smiley.gif

Back
Top Bottom