The Club Album - Will.I.Am

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There's nothing wrong with making a pop song - and U2 has made a lot of good ones - but "Crazy Tonight" has that middling, uninspired feel of a band trying to appeal to adult contemporary stations. It's a song made to be played in supermarkets and waiting rooms everywhere.

It lacks that special spark that makes a U2 song a U2 song. In the past, the band has been able to co-opt other sounds and remind the listener of what they've heard before, while presenting them with something entirely new.

That's really subjective. The same could be perceived in Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For. Notthing amazing sonically on either. THE Edge used that delay before,

I like both songs, but neither are particularly groundbreaking to the casual listener not familiar with the roots of the song structure (gospel: SHFWILF).

"The spark" is subjective and from a technical standpoint the album version of Crazy Tonight is superior melodically.

I'd take it over The Sweetest Thing anyday.

The rap at te end of MOS is :drool:

As is the rap in SBS

MOS rap (a variation of):

Life is short but it's the longest thing you'll ever do,
The worst, the curse was that your dreams came true,
God is a mirror in whicheach man sees himself,
Hell is a place where you don't need any help,
When I first met you your face was like snow,
Wherever I went to, you wanted to go,
Your face, your grace, your can of mace in a case,
On the ground as you put it down, 8:17
Your faith in a clown, your faith in a clown
Don't leave me now, alone in the sun (sound?)
Don't leave me now.

Excelent. Sure some bits are a little clunky, but so are most rap lyrics when you analyse them.

First 4 lines are :love:

On that, I was in love with the Rose Bowl version, but the Paris version just took it off. Sydney 2 from Tuesday night was also :love:

The absolute best part of that rap is the "Don't leeeaaaavvvveeee me nnnoooowwww ..." bit. I get chills when I hear that.

In the Rose Bowl version his voice cracks there, and the "your grace" bit.. so much emotion, he really pours it out there. Would have loved it to be in the studio version

The SNL debut of that breakdown has to be the best for me, one because it was so unexpected and performed like it was completely off the cuff (maybe it was, the SNL bit in the middle obviously was) but also because Bono's vocal fatigue actually worked very much in his favor for MOS, it didn't have to be put-on or have that straining sound be reached for, he could just emote that way with what he had naturally after several stadium shows in a week. I was floored that they played MOS, and loved the way they did it then. "Don't leave me alone in this song" sounded sooo much like a plea to the audience that day when they dared not play any hits including that 6+ minute song (shortened from the 7.5 for the show).

That said, even though the rap has been polished on subsequent performances, it still makes the song killer.

That's really subjective. The same could be perceived in Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For. Notthing amazing sonically on either. THE Edge used that delay before,

I like both songs, but neither are particularly groundbreaking to the casual listener not familiar with the roots of the song structure (gospel: SHFWILF).

"The spark" is subjective and from a technical standpoint the album version of Crazy Tonight is superior melodically.

I'd take it over The Sweetest Thing anyday.

I thought we banished CT talk??

OONTS OONTS OONTS OONTS!

There, now we're talking club music again. Phew.

As is the rap in SBS

Don't leave me now.

Excelent. Sure some bits are a little clunky, but so are most rap lyrics when you analyse them.

It's actually "A-17 on the ground" not 8:17 and "your faith in a clown" is only said once but otherwise, spot on :)

It's actually "A-17 on the ground" not 8:17 and "your faith in a clown" is only said once but otherwise, spot on :)

Like I said, it is one incarnation. There are times when he says faith in a clown twice (ie, Paris on WAIE).

Also, what is A-17 based on? Likewise, 8:17 is just what I hear, some hear age 17. What does A-17 mean? Only thing I can find is a stealth attack plane.

As is the rap in SBS

Don't leave me now.

why is this rap? is bob dylan rapping on subterraneann homesick blues? i don't get it.. :scratch:

why is this rap? is bob dylan rapping on subterraneann homesick blues? i don't get it.. :scratch:

Honest question: Why is it not rap? Just because it's Bono? He's not the greatest at it, and a 50 year old rapping can sound a bit off, but it sounds like rapping to me. Bono is obviously aware of rap, so what says he can't give it a go at the end of a song in a live concert?

And, yeah, I would say an argument could be made that Dylan is rapping in Subterranean Homesick Blues. It's a rhythmic, cadenced, rhyming vocal delivery set to a beat. Sure, "rap" as a defined genre wasn't around in the early 60s, but that doesn't mean that somebody couldn't have done it. Cavemen were banging sticks on rocks before anybody defined it as "drumming."

I'm a bit bored and that's a big reason why I'm responding to this issue but, I do think it is a bit of an interesting one.

Dylan followed beat poetry to its logical conclusion. You'd also have to credit Alan Ginsberg, whom Dylan was greatly influenced by at the time of Subterranean. Hell, the guy's even in the music video for it.

Honest question: Why is it not rap? Just because it's Bono? He's not the greatest at it, and a 50 year old rapping can sound a bit off, but it sounds like rapping to me. Bono is obviously aware of rap, so what says he can't give it a go at the end of a song in a live concert?

And, yeah, I would say an argument could be made that Dylan is rapping in Subterranean Homesick Blues. It's a rhythmic, cadenced, rhyming vocal delivery set to a beat. Sure, "rap" as a defined genre wasn't around in the early 60s, but that doesn't mean that somebody couldn't have done it. Cavemen were banging sticks on rocks before anybody defined it as "drumming."

I'm a bit bored and that's a big reason why I'm responding to this issue but, I do think it is a bit of an interesting one.

winner winner, chicken dinner

It's more in line with slam poetry, but the musical aspect of it makes people naturally want to call it wrap instead.

It's more in line with slam poetry, but the musical aspect of it makes people naturally want to call it wrap instead.

It's rap. It's done really tastefully too without an urban accent.

This is an inevitability that has always occurred in popular music.

You can argue it, or deny it, but you can't stop it.

It's the stones. It's dylan. It's rattle and hum.

Music is never that groundbreaking. It's merely a unique blend of what's already been heard.

the only true alternative music is........

silence.

It's rap. It's done really tastefully too without an urban accent.

It's a bit condescending of you to say that its tastefulness is attributed to lack of a so called "urban accent". What, to me, is tasteful about the rap is the content of the lyrics. :up:

It's a bit condescending of you to say that its tastefulness is attributed to lack of a so called "urban accent". What, to me, is tasteful about the rap is the content of the lyrics. :up:

So be it.

If he sounded like fitty cent - I'd express another opinion.

Just as you have your opinion of how I communicate.

Taste is subjective. I like the rap influence. Had he started throwing down feestyle fresh from the hood.... The song would've been ruined for me.

Yeah... that post was a sarcastic response to a semi-offensive generalization, but not offensive itself.

Back
Top Bottom