The Bono rap on record in the future ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Please, no rapping on U2 albums! :no: That album would be called Old White Guys Trying Really Really Really Hard to be Cool, or OWGTRRRHTBC. :wink:

This thread is hilarious, by the way. :applaud:

They will invite Jay-Z to rap on their songs. Expect to hear "Yo!" after every third word Bono is singing.

Well I guess it's still better than Bono rapping himself.

Actually, I think the original poster had a point. Bono's experimentation with hip-hop type cadences seems to have stepped up lately and could show up on record in some way. (not in an obvious hip hop way, though!, more in a subtle influence kind of way).

Bono's MOS scat on Letterman and at the Rose Bowl, as well as the Jay-Z collaboration point in that direction. I found the letterman scat bad, the one at Pasadena interesting, and Sunday Bloody sunday one good.

Perhaps the most interesting bit is where at the end of SBS in Berlin, bono sings some new lyrics, with rap cadences, in his usual u2-esque high-pitched voice.

That's the kind of stuff I coul dsee making its way into a future U2 album

yes, bono should rap over all instrumental sections and guitar solos on all songs in the future.

Werd.

bonogansta.jpg

:applaud:

Rap is dinosaur-music now anyway, since it peaked in the 80s and 90s. Bono rapping wouldn't be a desperate attempt to get in touch with the music kids of today as much as with the 30 and 40 year-olds of today.

Generally speaking, I don't think the Irish are known for their hip-hop attributes (I tried to say that with a straight face). There are singers in guitar bands who can pull-off raps quite well in a certain context, but I cannot imagine Bono doing it -- the "Breathe" thing didn't work very well as it is, in my opinion.

Here's an idea: rather than writing hip-hop songs, how about re-inventing 'Bad' and other classic tunes as raps?

cartoon cut out cut throat let out i'm on your side be on the both side i'm on the right track you get off my back i'm no dope i give you hope here's the rope here's the rope naaaaaaa swing on it

"Swing on it"...? Is that what he actually says? Thanks! I've always wondered...

Rap is dinosaur-music now anyway, since it peaked in the 80s and 90s. Bono rapping wouldn't be a desperate attempt to get in touch with the music kids of today as much as with the 30 and 40 year-olds of today.
What?! You tell Jay-Z, I don't want to be the one that breaks it to him...:sad:

Generally speaking, I don't think the Irish are known for their hip-hop attributes (I tried to say that with a straight face).

House_Of_Pain_And_Everlast-Shamrocks_And_Shenanigans.jpg

hey, if it sounds good and suits the song that's all that matters. hopefully they will have the good judgement to throw away anything that sounds like old men trying to sound hip. i think Bono would sound better doing spoken word where you can hear his irish accent.

according to wikipedia he is

Yeah, but at one point, according to Wikipedia, U2 were going to release an album called Blindness supported by a tour called Annhilation where they'd play 250 shows in five months with thirty-some songs per show, opening with Mercy and playing Vertigo something like six times per show. :wink:

Yeah, but at one point, according to Wikipedia, U2 were going to release an album called Blindness supported by a tour called Annhilation where they'd play 250 shows in five months with thirty-some songs per show, opening with Mercy and playing Vertigo something like six times per show. :wink:

Man, the opening night of that tour in my backyard was just the best U2 show ever.

Can't believe the Wikipedia article on Axver's Backyard got deleted. It's CLEARLY a legitimate venue!

Back
Top Bottom