The "Apple Stunt"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Spain top 10 ITunes Albums :applaud:

1 U2 - U218 Singles

2 U2 - The Joshua Tree

3 U2 - U218 Singles

4 U2 - The Best of 1980-1990

5 One Direction - FOUR

6 Vanesa Martin - Crónica de un baile

7 U2 - Rattle and Hum

8 U2 - Achtung Baby

9 U2 - Live from Paris

10 Maroon 5 – V

Well, now that's what I call "fucking up the mainstream" :)

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

just warning anyone that happens to go on twitter and searches @u2 like I just did for the hell of it- it's really really really ugly. Constant stream of negativity and most of it vulgar aimed at the band. I'm confused, people are saying the album automatically downloaded onto people's phones. I thought you still had to choose to download it, right? :huh:

It's there to stream, but you have to download it from iCloud i order to have the songs physically. People complaining about it being automatically downloaded are confusing 'purchased and able to stream' and 'downloaded'.

The internet was practically built for two things: illegal file sharing, and going online to complain. U2 cleverly fixed the first one by 'leaking' their own album via iTunes, but no one can ever do anything about the whingers out there.

Sent from my fingertips.

just warning anyone that happens to go on twitter and searches @u2 like I just did for the hell of it- it's really really really ugly. Constant stream of negativity and most of it vulgar aimed at the band. I'm confused, people are saying the album automatically downloaded onto people's phones. I thought you still had to choose to download it, right? :huh:

Depends what your icloud settings are on your phone.

My parents both had it on their apple products without doing a thing where as my wife didnt have it on hers

You still have to download it to save it on your memory but while its free people can still listen to it via the icloud

I had a 'U2' search pinned to my Tweet Deck window, but had to take it out once the album came out. It's going to be like that for a while.

I had a 'U2' search pinned to my Tweet Deck window, but had to take it out once the album came out. It's going to be like that for a while.

I just made the mistake of going on twitter and searching U2. 100 negative, mostly nasty tweets to every 1 "this is cool" tweet. Most referred to U2 as garbage, old, terrible....blah....blah.....

Oddly enough, I saw a lot of overtly racist tweets toward Bono and U2, some tweets reading that only "White ppl" like this music another said "I'm not a white dad" and one girl called Bono the "White Savior" and her and a friend went on to imply he had "white guilt" and the conversation went down hill from there for both U2 and white people apparently.

I need to read something positive before I go to bed.

why are you guys looking on twitter?? might as well look at youtube comments; they're about the same level of stupid. and going on twitter to complain about FREE MUSIC showing up on your $400 phone is the definition of 1st world problems. get over yourself and go do something useful, jesus

Twitter can be great but it is also full of idiots

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

I just made the mistake of going on twitter and searching U2. 100 negative, mostly nasty tweets to every 1 "this is cool" tweet. Most referred to U2 as garbage, old, terrible....blah....blah.....

Oddly enough, I saw a lot of overtly racist tweets toward Bono and U2, some tweets reading that only "White ppl" like this music another said "I'm not a white dad" and one girl called Bono the "White Savior" and her and a friend went on to imply he had "white guilt" and the conversation went down hill from there for both U2 and white people apparently.

I need to read something positive before I go to bed.

Is it racist? Bono is white after all.

why are you guys looking on twitter?? might as well look at youtube comments; they're about the same level of stupid. and going on twitter to complain about FREE MUSIC showing up on your $400 phone is the definition of 1st world problems. get over yourself and go do something useful, jesus

This over and over again. Bravo

Sent from my GT-I9300 using U2 Interference mobile app

Is it racist? Bono is white after all.

Very true but when him being white has nothing to do with the music, its a strange comment. So when I continued reading (shouldn't have) the phrase was put into context of the conversation, which it was being used as a term to put down certain types of white people and in this case Bono was this type of white person...I guess(it turned into an "us" and "them" conversation).

Again, I only mentioned these comments because they came out of left field and it was a completely new set of insults being thrown at U2 and very strange at that.

I have to tell people in my office that they have a new U2 album in their iTunes... they have no clue how to know/check

#perspective

Twitter.

:laugh:

Do adults even use Twitter ?

If so, why ??

Proof is the pudding. They are flat out dominating like online music has never seen.

It's fucking amazing

My wife & I use twitter sparingly, there's a lot of great tweets by comedians so mostly follow them for fun. A few bands too. The only reason I noticed all the anti-U2 tweets was U2 posted a short 2 minute video yesterday on twitter & you hear a clip of Bono singing part of a song that's not from SOI which was kinda cool, so I shared a thank you tweet to the band, which then accidentally led to seeing the constant stream of twitter replies on accident, ugggggh :crack:

Taught me not to go off the beaten path far at all

I have to tell people in my office that they have a new U2 album in their iTunes... they have no clue how to know/check

#perspective

They need to get these adverts on tv asap. Theres still plenty of people out there who dont know about it

Anybody seen the advert on tv yet?

Is miracle the song to the new iphone 6 advert?

They need to get these adverts on tv asap. Theres still plenty of people out there who dont know about it

I think it has aired in the US, I suppose it depends when they can put it into rotation etc

It was on during the NFL game last night, full minute

Saw the commercial 2x last night during the football game, which will be the highest rated program of the night by fat and one of the top ratings for the week no doubt.

This is in the USA btw

This stunt is really very Madonna of them.

She is not afraid of drawing hate, and lord knows she's made missteps and pissed the masses off, but she also WILL be talked about. You will NOT ignore her.

Perhaps that's the calculus here.

Of course, the cynic in me says that they got to a point where they didn't think the album would make any impact (or feared it wasn't any good) and this was a way to get people to at least have to think about U2 for a moment, which is a victory when you're competing for attention, and perhaps send people back to the old albums, meaning the new music only exists to support the old.

Who knows. I don't think even them.

Sent from

I don't think anyone predicted their past albums would be crushing like this. It really is amazing

They have 12 of the top 14 albums in the rock category. Think about that

This stunt is really very Madonna of them.

She is not afraid of drawing hate, and lord knows she's made missteps and pissed the masses off, but she also WILL be talked about. You will NOT ignore her.

Perhaps that's the calculus here.

Of course, the cynic in me says that they got to a point where they didn't think the album would make any impact (or feared it wasn't any good) and this was a way to get people to at least have to think about U2 for a moment, which is a victory when you're competing for attention, and perhaps send people back to the old albums, meaning the new music only exists to support the old.

Who knows. I don't think even them.

Sent from

I agree. This whole thing about - OMG!! STAY OFF TWITTER - PEOPLE ARE PISSED!!! Is so hilarious. Twitter and any comments section of any area of the internet are about 1 thing. Trying to prove to anyone who will listen how witty you are with a nasty one liner. It will blow over in a week, and they will be furious about something else. Maybe taco bell will offer them a free taco with drink purchase.

Anyway, the point is this. We can safely say there are around 1 million U2 fans in the U.S. - And maybe around 2 to 300 thousand really strong U2 fans, that would purchase their album right away.

They sent this out to 500 million people. Lets say 1/3 of that is in the U.S. - that's 160 million people. Believe me, U2 and Guy O. KNEW that they were gonna get blasted by about 158 million people in the U.S.

But womanfish, 160 minus 158 is 2 million. You said there are only 1 million fans in the US?!!?
That's right, U2 and Guy O, ALSO knew that they would most likely pick up another million people to at least give the album a good listen and most likely appreciate it for what it is. A really good free album. Maybe an older person that gets reacquainted with the band again. Or maybe even a young person, totally unfamiliar with the band that hear something that strikes a chord with them.

An aging band acquiring a million new listeners, maybe concert-goers, is unheard of in this day and age. But U2 just did it.

p.s. - sorry I am just referring to US numbers here. Just that I am more familiar with them. U2 is actually much more popular in other parts of the world. So forgive me.

Bet ur ass they did. Imagine getting interested in U2 because of this and having no recollection of the back catalogue. $5 for Joshua Tree and Achtung baby. A new listener has so much "new" U2 music to dive into.

Back
Top Bottom