The "Apple Stunt"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey guys - think we can probably safely move this discussion to the new general SOI album thread that was just started.

P.S. the Joshua Tree just surpassed Taylor Swift on the US iTunes album chart. :)

Joshua Tree up to 19 now in the US store... ahead of TSwift. How high will it get? Absolutely brilliant to put all of the albums on sale right after this release.

that was my favorite 360 show btw
Saw them in NC and Denver on 360, but I've heard great things about that Nashville show.

Perhaps a silly question to ask considering nobody has accurate figures, but in order for the bands older work to move up in the US iTunes rankings etc., are we talking about thousands of people having to have purchased/downloaded Achtung Baby, Joshua Tree etc, in order for that to happen?

I ask because I just find it surprising how their older work has suddenly become so popular again, and even despite the new album reaching hundreds of millions, I still find it hard to believe that thousands are actually purchasing their older albums as a result.

It doesn't sound like some incredible achievement when you don't look at the situation subjectively, i.e New album is released to hundreds of millions, so of course their older work is going to receive attention, but I still find it amazing...

Exclusive: U2 Manager Guy Oseary Talks 'Songs of Innocence' Rollout & Strategy Shift | Billboard
That's when U2 was in the midst of a mini-promo blitz around its Oscar-nominated song "Ordinary Love" from Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom, as well as "Invisible," an original song premiered via a Super Bowl spot that helped raise more than $3 million for Bono's charity (RED) with the aid of Bank of America. The band later played the song during the premiere of The Tonight Show With Jimmy Fallon, suggesting "Invisible" would be the lead single from an imminent album.

But once album and touring plans were shelved in March, a new plan was put in place that ultimately led to Tuesday's landmark announcement. Speaking with Billboard from Cupertino, Calif., moments after U2's big reveal, manager Guy Oseary had this exclusive quote about the strategy shift:

"Certain opportunities presented themselves, and [the Super Bowl] was the one we were ready to go with and felt right about for [the (RED)] campaign. The band worked on this album for five years, and the idea of doing a few things early on in the year just to connect back with the audience that something was coming. We did Jimmy Fallon, we launched that, we also did the Mandela soundtrack and performed at the Oscars, just a few things to keep them active early in the year. In the last few months, we've been connected with Apple and they are so collaborative and forward-thinking, and have a really strong relationship with the band. It all came together very organically."

Obviously the stunt worked - will be interesting to see how long this type of domination lasts. I hope it can carry until the paid version is available.

Wow, this is beyond my dreams. I think it's already safe to say that U2 pulled a master stroke. This could be their financially strongest launch ever. They got a nice pay (I'm sure) from Apple and now their previous albums are selling like hot cakes. I would assume there are a lot of people out there discovering the band for the first time. That is sooo great!

And to all the so called "journalists" dissing the "stunt" and playing the "tax refugee card". Let me ask you (f**king hipsters): if you could completely legally lower your taxes, wouldn't you do it? Or if you owned some kind of business, wouldn't you want it to make as much profit as possible? If not, then stay exactly where you are right now... in some hip little cafe that other hipsters have not yet found. Behind your cup of latte macchiato and your company paid Macbook pro! You jealous little c**ts.

If Apple play the advert on TV a lot (I haven't seen it once yet) then this May last while

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference

Makes me laugh how the press have twisted the 200,000 sales figure to make U2 look bad but I haven't found one report yet about all of u2's albums climbing the iTunes Charts all over the world.

A certain part of the press really hate U2 don't they

200,000 in the first 24 hours in America if it's true is good going if you ask me. It's free for a month

Makes me laugh how the press have twisted the 200,000 sales figure to make U2 look bad but I haven't found one report yet about all of u2's albums climbing the iTunes Charts all over the world.

A certain part of the press really hate U2 don't they

I wonder where all the bashing about how the album was released is coming from? Is the whole issue that it appeared in iTunes libraries or are critics having an issue with the fact that it dropped for free totally unannounced?

I wonder where all the bashing about how the album was released is coming from? Is the whole issue that it appeared in iTunes libraries or are critics having an issue with the fact that it dropped for free totally unannounced?

It's small, bitter people, that take aim at the biggest fish in the Entertainment industry. Especially when there is someone like Bono involved that can come off a bit on the egotistical side. LOL.

They just aim to knock them off their pedestal, doesn't matter what the actual music is like.

They pick the iTunes distribution as being this horrible thing, when, if it were Beyoncé or JayZ or someone, they would have heralded it as the greatest promotional idea of modern times.

Just how it is

Keep in mind that the meteoric rise on all of the iTunes Charts is due in large part to the fact that as part of the "stunt" all U2 albums were discounted. Not to the point that they are dirt cheap but 50% off.

Now the fact that they are destroying the charts means there is a great deal of interest in U2s catalog regardless of the discount.

The other part adding to the rise is of course the new album is now in the hands of a lot of people who never heard of them and this get to explore their back catalog....at discounted prices nevertheless.

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

It's beacuse it appeared in people's libraries, and it's more fashionable then ever to hate U2 so people make snide comments on twitter that are mistaken for wit, and then people pile on because it's the thing to do. It's sickening. If they don't like it they can just delete it!

U2 gave the world a free album, and it's the worst thing since moldy bread. What the fuck.

People are more pissed at U2 for this than they are the fucking NSA!

Six U2 albums on Finland's iTunes top 20. This is very small market, but still. If the same is happening everywhere, then just wow. Very well done!

Here is my take: Thin line to walk but in the end, brilliant move.

In 2009, U2 sold ~4.5 million albums worldwide. Its fair to say that people illegally downloaded their songs and listened to them on YouTube but at the end of the day, they got their product in the hands of 4.5 million people over a 12 month period. The fact that as an "older" band, it is harder (not impossible by any means) to get radio play on top 40 stations, makes reaching new fans very difficult. So in the age of Justine Beiber/Miley Cirus, how do you reach a new audience? How do you get in front of people who never heard of you(true irrelevance)?

U2 found a way and in the end it's a win win. As I mentioned, they got their product in the hands of 4.5 million people in 12 months, most of whom were already U2 fans (I bought 2 copies myself, shit, Interference alone probably accounted for 2 million in sales). They didn't really expand their audience and if they did it was by very little.

But on Tuesday, they cracked a code(perhaps not THE code but a code), they got their product in the hands of 500 million people in 5 seconds.

And I have news for you...it worked. Yes, we all read the tweets, You Tube Comments and comment section of various blogs about "I'm pissed that I have this trash" or "why was this old ass band forced upon me". Guess what folks, the fact that these people got a FREE album from a major artist and are making these comments mean U2 would have never gotten them anyway(give me a free Madonna or Prince album and if I don't like it, Ill just remove it).

But the people who genuinely don't know U2, kids or young adults or even some older adults will listen to it and some WILL like it and WILL be turned on to U2.

Us diehards or even general fans don't care, we love U2 and we love free, so free U2 is going to go over well with us.

People who don't like U2 like free but then there is that whole U2 part, so they will delete it and so be it.

but people who never knew of U2 will now have it handed to them to try and some will hate it and some will like it and THAT is the goldmine U2 wanted in order to extend their legacy.

If just 10% of people don't delete the album and actually listen to the songs! thats 50 million people.....50 MILLION! Who are not just listening to your lead single but your full album. If U2 can gain even just 5 million new fans, thats 5 million people who will discover the Live Aid performance...Joshua Tree...Achtung Baby....ZooTV....the 2002 Super Bowl performance. They may potentially create a whole new generation of fans.

I end with this.....I read a review on iTunes. It was from someone named Edgar Garcia who wrote something along the lines of "Never heard of this band but glad I was given this album because I really liked it. I will for sure check out their other stuff."

It may have been a fake review and or it might be the only person that writes that type of comment for all I know but thats 1 and Edgar was the reason U2 did this(I hope someone can find that review and take a screen shot because it is what this Apple thing was all about).

By the way, when I said win win, this is a huge win for Apple. They just pulled off getting a major artist to distribute their album exclusively via Apple...no record company needed....hmmmm.....perhaps a new industry business model is being created(who needs a label when you can get free advertising from Apple and an audience of 500 million plus???)

Spot on. The best thing is u2 got given the opportunity to work with such a big corporation because they are a good band. They promote nearly every cause and are very squeaky clean. Furthermore they put in maximum heart and sole into every song.

No other band or individual will probably ever have this opportunity.

I seriously think their next album is close to being released and will be the big one in every sense of the word. This stunt was about getting the world to stand up and notice u2 and prepare the ground for the next arrival.

on itunes
joshua tree 17
u218 singles 32
unforgettable fire 69
rattle and hum 78
u2 live in paris 80
best of 1980 89

This is absolutely insane. Go u2 :lol::drool::love::hyper::applaud::wave:

This stunt worked like a charm

I would love to see u2 beautiful day at number one :drool:

on itunes
joshua tree 17