The "Apple Stunt"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The way I'm reading his tweets it sounds like by the end - after the "horror" of having U2 appear for free on his phone (learn to use your privacy settings!) - he suddenly starts to realize Bono is great on the album.

As for marketing - one of his earlier complaint tweets - can't think of a better way to market in today's world. :applaud:

My girlfriend suddenly had an epiphany of "OMG U2 is cool" once we watched Under A Blood Red Sky. IDK if it'd work for 13 year old, but hey, they do look really cool during the War Tour.

For a 13 year old, showing her 80's U2 is probably a good place to start. She'll see commercials and such and know they are "old" now, but it'll remind her that they were young once and produced some outstanding music.

If she likes it, I'd then remind her of some more recent tracks, like BD and "Vertigo" which she probably heard (although BD came out before she was born - AAAAAAHHHH! Dang she's young!). Then to AB, of course. Save the best for last. ;)

All of these people complain about a free download all because they didn't know how to use their privacy settings. That said, if any other artist did this, I'd certainly listen to it - it's free. Why not give it a go and possibly discover something new? I don't get it.

As for other artists complaining, really? First, these "fans" long ago - like circa 2000 - started downloading your music for free. Napster, torrents, YouTube - the format doesn't matter, people aren't buying music. So you can bitch about how U2 undercuts your $9 iTunes album, but are people really buying your music anyway?

U2 found a new way to make $$ and get their music out there. Instead of criticizing and suing people who download songs (as if that stopped anything), find your own innovations.

Been tracking the album's rating on iTunes which now has over 13,000 ratings. SOI started out at 4.5 stars but is now down to a 4. If you break out the ratings it is down to 3.88 - which is a shame as a few days after the release it was up in the 4.5 range. The initial reaction to the music among those who downloaded it was very positive. A glance at the most recent reviews shows most new reviews coming in now are 1 star reviewers ranting not about the music itself, but about the delivery method... :down::down:

Within the next couple of days, we are all going to know the extent of what this stunt had on U2.

Billboard will release both their album rankings for the week and the corresponding sales(I have a site to get that info and I will share).

I anticipate that U2 will have quite a few albums in the top 200 and 100 for that matter(JT should hit top 50).

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

The irony of ironies is the complaining about the complaining in a forum that has featured exclusive complaining for about 3 years.

That people who don't like U2 don't like this stunt is not surprising, and clearly the band anticipated it as well.

My only question re: those who are so upset that some people didn't like it is this... why do you care?

The irony of ironies is the complaining about the complaining in a forum that has featured exclusive complaining for about 3 years.

That people who don't like U2 don't like this stunt is not surprising, and clearly the band anticipated it as well.

My only question re: those who are so upset that some people didn't like it is this... why do you care?

:up::up::up:

Let's move along people. This stuff is the greatest PR that U2 can get right now. I didn't even think people would still be talking a week later about this. But they are. Positive, negative. Doesn't matter. The negative posts are filled, and I mean literally 90% filled with replies saying that they like the album and to STFU about getting it for free.

And all the complaining is only keeping U2 trending day after day, letting people know about the album in case they haven't heard yet. Brilliant.

Now let it GO for F@#Q$ks sake. It really is good for the band in the long run.

If I'd never heard of U2 before, I would now.

If it wasn't for this thread I'd still be oblivious to whoever/whatever a "Tyler the Creator" is.

What the fuck else am I gonna bitch about on a Monday morning?

Besides, his music is actually shite...and probably a good majority of his listeners download it illegally. So him complaining is a bit rich.

Sent from my ass crack

Is this a real question? Would you go on a sports message board and ask why one would care if people are trashing their team?

Would you go into a Political forum and ask why people care that the "other" party is trashing them?

Would you go onto an Apple/android forum and ask why people care that people are trashing their device?

Would you go onto a religious forum and ask why people care that some people are trashing their religion?

The point is, all of the above topics invoke passions to different extents to different people. To many people, myself included, U2 is a passion. Their songs have given us hope, excitement through the years..decades.

What also gets people going is the actual statements. If someone were to say I don't care for U2, most wouldn't care but when someone says that Bono should die a terrible death well, yeah, that pisses me off. I don't sign up on message boards and get in fights but I come here to talk about it with fellow fans. It's more a matter of debate and conversation.

If you don't care, that's fine, I respect that but to ask why people would care seems a bit detached from reality.

Apple creates tool to remove Songs of Innocence after public outcry. NPR story this morning as well

Apple creates tool for removing free U2 album from iTunes library after public reaction | 9to5Mac

Confirms my belief that there are just a certain number of people on the planet who are clueless and just plain dumb.

How many people have purchased PCs and laptops in the past that came with free music tracks, free video clips, and free photo images in the MyMusic, MyVideos, and MyPictures folders on Windows Explorer. I know I have. I didn't waste one nanosecond going on a crusade to start some kind of movement like it was a human rights violation or an international crime. Sheesh.

Apple creates tool to remove Songs of Innocence after public outcry. NPR story this morning as well

Apple creates tool for removing free U2 album from iTunes library after public reaction | 9to5Mac

QrtJ5a9.gif

A marketing campaign with a 'value' of $100m =/= a marketing campaign that 'cost' $100m =/= paying U2 $100m (which should be obvious, that's a ridiculous figure).

Is this a real question? Would you go on a sports message board and ask why one would care if people are trashing their team?

Would you go into a Political forum and ask why people care that the "other" party is trashing them?

Would you go onto an Apple/android forum and ask why people care that people are trashing their device?

Would you go onto a religious forum and ask why people care that some people are trashing their religion?

The point is, all of the above topics invoke passions to different extents to different people. To many people, myself included, U2 is a passion. Their songs have given us hope, excitement through the years..decades.

What also gets people going is the actual statements. If someone were to say I don't care for U2, most wouldn't care but when someone says that Bono should die a terrible death well, yeah, that pisses me off. I don't sign up on message boards and get in fights but I come here to talk about it with fellow fans. It's more a matter of debate and conversation.

If you don't care, that's fine, I respect that but to ask why people would care seems a bit detached from reality.

So the person who understands that not everybody is going to like his favorite things is the one who's detached from reality.

K.

Confirms my belief that there are just a certain number of people on the planet who are clueless and just plain dumb.

How many people have purchased PCs and laptops in the past that came with free music tracks, free video clips, and free photo images in the MyMusic, MyVideos, and MyPictures folders on Windows Explorer. I know I have. I didn't waste one nanosecond going on a crusade to start some kind of movement like it was a human rights violation or an international crime. Sheesh.

Exactly. I hope they're happy.

Yep. Long ago someone said "There's no such thing as bad publicity" although I think there is, this probably isn't it. The "how dare you gift me this free album!" crowd are probably drawing some folks attention, as in -- "What free album? Where can I get it?"

I get why people might be bothered but I don't get the comments that are so harsh and angry. If I was to get an album from any artist(even Bieber) I would be upset that it was in my library and I couldn't delete it. However, I would not go on a tirade about it and my response would be proportional to the issue (ie free album) but that's me and to each is own.

Because I'm in so deep with U2 that I feel people are talking about my actual family.

:up:

I think for a lot of people on this forum, U2 is like their little brother...you're allowed to give your lil bro shit all the time, but if someone else says something you go "Hey, that's my brother you're talking about! STFU!"

it would just be nice if U2 were are universally loved as, say, Breaking Bad. bringing up U2 is less like bringing up your favourite TV show (or band for that matter) and more like bringing up politics or religion - unless someone 100% agrees with you, which they probably won't, it's going to cause an argument. I'm just glad I live in age where I can at least find fellow U2 fans on here... I'm been following them for 17 years and it's quite rare that I meet another fan.

So the person who understands that not everybody is going to like his favorite things is the one who's detached from reality.

K.

Hold on...on and off from February of this year to September we had to read countless posts from you about how this "Fisher" person was a POS. Nick66 would simply say that they might have info and you would go off.

So I guess you are above the negative comments unless of course you are below them?

The thing is one day you explained why you were so pissed at this person. For me, you didn't need to explain it because I get it. I personally liked the prospect of getting info from someone who might know things but you didn't feel that way and I get why.

Not sure how your reaction to a person commenting about the band is different than our reaction to people commenting on the band....

Back
Top Bottom