The Album's Atmosphere: Night or Day?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

last unicorn

Blue Crack Addict
I was thinking about this today:

Do you guys think NLOTH is a day or a night album, or is it a morning or evening album? Are there certain songs that fit for a certain time of day, or a certain mood?

Sunset/sunrise/dusk/dawn/rain ... whatever.

I was thinking about the original Night & Day/Darkness & Daylight idea - is it still there?

IMO there are certain songs that have a "night" feeling about them and some are very dream-like, surreal in parts.

I think it's more scattered than even or split. Despite what some early interviews said, I don't really see it split cleanly into Day & Night. :shrug: I've been trying, but just can't see it! ;)

I feel like it's a couple of days, a bit gloomy with a bit of sunshine with a sprinkling of dusk thrown in for good measure.

:wink:

No Line - Day
Magnificent - Day
Moment of Surrender - Night
Unknown Caller - Night
Crazy Tonight - Day
Boots - Day
Stand Up - Day
Fez - Night
White As Snow - Night
Breathe - Day
Cedars - Night

6 Day, 5 Night.

This probably sounds like a conspiracy because I've been watching too much 24, but the album seems like an entire day. No Line On the Horizon is just waking up, Magnificent, Moment of Surrender, and Unknown Caller (especially the birds chirping) remind me of the morning. I'll Go Crazy, Boots, and SUC are afternoon, and then the last songs get kind of darker, so more of a night time atmosphere...

This probably sounds like a conspiracy because I've been watching too much 24, but the album seems like an entire day. No Line On the Horizon is just waking up, Magnificent, Moment of Surrender, and Unknown Caller (especially the birds chirping) remind me of the morning. I'll Go Crazy, Boots, and SUC are afternoon, and then the last songs get kind of darker, so more of a night time atmosphere...

Yes!

i think the day night thing was disrupted by the decesion to knock out winter and every breaking wave

I somehow feel it's a morning-evening/night album, with NLOTH starting at sunrise and COL ending at night, after dark. The thing I'm not so sure about is Breathe, because it doesn't feel like it fits into the "dark" mood, the rest would make sense.

will be very interesting how Corbijn sees that - the few pictures from the movie are somewhere in the middle

I imagine the split being more obvious before they did the additional tweaking right at the end. Maybe getting Winter from Linear can help to reconstruct that a little better.

Coribjn said about the early version of the album (the one he shot the movie with):

"The record had an essence of time to it, most songs had a number or time references connected to them, as if going through a 24 hour period."

The album was split into two parts of Day and Night but towards the end they just picked the best songs and put it together for one album. There's probably some day and night songs coming on the next album.

From where I see it:

NLOTH to UC is the day part of album... very majestic, very uplifting... the classic U2ish songs.

Crazy Tonight, GOYB, and Stand Up are just singles with no coherent feel.

Fez-Being Born to Cedars is the night... very dark, reflective, sombre...

Back
Top Bottom