The Album is finished...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
a re-worked mercy on the new album would be good. in the same form we heard it? no thanks. clearly unfinished. but potential is definitely there.

You never know with Mercy, it could benefit from being reworked or could be wrecked, or just plain wouldn't work with the new material, we'll see.

Super excited, but come on let's get a release date...and a title. :hyper:

:hmm:i remember hearing a leaked snippet of All Because of You right around this time '04-the first audio we had of the new album, and then vertigo was officially debuted on radio mid sept, so im hoping we'll hear the first single on radio in late August and itll be properly released in sept with the new RED service, then new album in late Oct.:hmm:

I'm a big fan of Mercy, but would just as well not have it on the album if it doesn't "fit" with the themes and sounds of the new stuff. Maybe it will stand on it's own as the "single" from the 2000-2010 Best Of or perhaps a movie soundtrack or something.

Is it fair to say that Mercy doesn't seem to fit in with themes and sounds of the new album? Because you know, we haven't actually heard any new songs at all... Just their titles and a few soundbites from a long time ago..

Im sorry to be the debbie downer but I think this album is going to be the beginning of the end. If not of course great but something tells me we are going to be disappointed.
:sad:

Im sorry to be the debbie downer but I think this album is going to be the beginning of the end. If not of course great but something tells me we are going to be disappointed.

it's obvious that some will be dissapointed. some people here are just chronic complainers. but with all the things that are coming out of U2's camp, especially Lanois, i don't see this album as a "beginning of the end".

I don't care if Mercy is on the album or if they re-work it or whatever. I love the song and no matter what, I still have my precious little original Mercy MP3.

Also, I don't care what the direction of the album will be, I don't care if it's innovative or dark or pop sounding or Moroccan or Korean or Mongolian or whatever, I don't care if the critics love it or hate it, I don't care if the people on U2 fan sites will love it or hate it, I don't care if it's the downfall of U2 or massively successful, I don't care if it wins Grammy's or isn't even nominated... I just want my new U2!!! Whatever it turns out to be!
Oh... and I NEED IT NOW!!!

:wave:

I'm just curious, has anything at all, even the slightest of things, lead you to believe this? If so, what exactly? You say "something tells me" we're going to be disappointed...ok, so what is telling you this? It sounds like you simply have no confidence in the band to make a good record, and you expect nothing but shit from the band from here on out...am I right? But the strange thing is, I can't think of one piece of evidence leading you to believe that the upcoming album will be "the beginning of the end" and disappoint us fans, not one piece of evidence...nothing at all...The only concrete evidence we have is absolutely positive, and that evidence is the shape of Bono's voice...we also know that Lanois/Eno are producers, and I'd say we can all agree that that is another postiive piece of evidence. Other than that....it sounds like forced negativity....like saying that is somehow satisfying...I don't know....anyway, yeah...just curious....:scratch:

and surely you aren't basing your comments off of any clips or anything...I hope....

I am the biggest Mercy hater and i hate that song and can't see what the HUGE hype is for this song so I would probably still hate this song unless its almost an unrecognizable version on the new album and even then it may not be my favorite from the new album.

i used to have an image of mercy brand toilet paper in my sig, for i claim that i wipe my ass with the song.

i win, you're the runner up :wink:

but in all seriousness... i don't understand why anyone would want mercy on the new album. we know the song... it's not a new song, it's one that we've all heard. wouldn't you prefer 12 new songs that you know nothing about, and then perhaps they simply release a cleaned up mercy as a b-side on one of the singles?

wouldn't that be, like, 1 gazillion times better than releasing a song that we all already know on a new album?

Besides what is spread around these message boards I can see why maybe this individual would think we are up for a let down....theres no buzz going on about this album except from a few comments from the producers...theres really no radio buzz going around...no commercials...no big advertisements for it....they are keeping it on the hush-hush, really.

Its early..we really havent heard any new music besides the suspect youtube clips and a clip that sounds like its coming from across the river from someones sound proof bassment. As long as Bono's voice is better than the last album I will be happy.

Besides what is spread around these message boards I can see why maybe this individual would think we are up for a let down....theres no buzz going on about this album except from a few comments from the producers...theres really no radio buzz going around...no commercials...no big advertisements for it....they are keeping it on the hush-hush, really.

just because the recording of the album is "done" doesn't mean the album it's self is done. they have to do the publicity photo's, cover, etc. etc. etc. before they actually, ya know, start running commercials.

if it is really a november release, you'll see plenty of "buzz" by the early fall. so much buzz you'll probably be sick of it before it even comes out.

Its early..we really havent heard any new music besides the suspect youtube clips and a clip that sounds like its coming from across the river from someones sound proof bassment. As long as Bono's voice is better than the last album I will be happy.

Ok, but the key thing is that they are keeping it quiet....if U2 wanted to advertise the shit out of this album, they could...they could get everyone talking about it if they really wanted to....It all makes sense to me...they are keeping more quiet, and thus we don't hear much buzz on radio stations, etc....isn't that normal? To me, it's encouraging, because it hints maybe to a less commercial sound, and more innovative...like they want to really surprise everyone, and shock the world.

just because the recording of the album is "done" doesn't mean the album it's self is done. they have to do the publicity photo's, cover, etc. etc. etc. before they actually, ya know, start running commercials.

if it is really a november release, you'll see plenty of "buzz" by the early fall. so much buzz you'll probably be sick of it before it even comes out.

exactly....they just finished the album...like days ago or something...and it's still not even officially finished....there is still some mixing to do, apparently

the buzz is among the fans. that's the best buzz. well, besides an alcohol induced buzz.

but you know what i mean.

Thanks for posting this news, Amy. I am sure there will be many changes between now and when the cd finally hits shelves. They always have last minute things to fine tune even when they say the album is finished. I hope it's not too long because too many U2 fans are waiting for some new music like me :hyper:

what are they keeping quiet? they don't even have a release date set yet... how the hell are they gonna advertise an album with no name and no release date?

ugh. it's way too early in the process for the hype machine to be in full throtle. it'll be there. the hype will come. don't worry.

they simply aren't talking about it to media as much....Other than Lanois, there hasn't been much talk at all...and Lanois hasn't even been talking to media that much...he just mentions it briefly in interviews here and there...there's no Bono exaggerations or anything like that...Bono has basically just said that everything's going great, Edge said it's going well, and haven't heard much at all from Adam or Larry...but yeah, there is no album name or release date so any real promotion of it at this point isn't even realistic

What?! Just because the recording is done, doesn't mean the album is ready to release. No one does commercials or adverts until all of this is ready. Radio stations know probably less than we do.

If anyone is expecting a disappointment already at this point, then it's their own fault.

What?! Just because the recording is done, doesn't mean the album is ready to release. No one does commercials or adverts until all of this is ready. Radio stations know probably less than we do.

If anyone is expecting a disappointment already at this point, then it's their own fault.

Exactly, well put :up:

i used to have an image of mercy brand toilet paper in my sig, for i claim that i wipe my ass with the song.

i win, you're the runner up :wink:

but in all seriousness... i don't understand why anyone would want mercy on the new album. we know the song... it's not a new song, it's one that we've all heard. wouldn't you prefer 12 new songs that you know nothing about, and then perhaps they simply release a cleaned up mercy as a b-side on one of the singles?

wouldn't that be, like, 1 gazillion times better than releasing a song that we all already know on a new album?

This is not a bad point actually :lol:

The relative silence from the band itself about the album and the pretty close to press blackout (other than Bono and Edge's charity appearances) are reminiscent of the lead up to AB which was a drastic change of direction and sound. But it is too early to tell because even compared to the last two releases we are not past the point of the usual publicity build up. If the silence is maintained much longer it will be closer to the AB release model. I'm thinking though that the initial splash of album press may end up being towards the end of this month when the remasters are released. Kill two birds with one stone and all that.

Dana

The relative silence from the band itself about the album and the pretty close to press blackout (other than Bono and Edge's charity appearances) are reminiscent of the lead up to AB which was a drastic change of direction and sound. But it is too early to tell because even compared to the last two releases we are not past the point of the usual publicity build up. If the silence is maintained much longer it will be closer to the AB release model. I'm thinking though that the initial splash of album press may end up being towards the end of this month when the remasters are released. Kill two birds with one stone and all that.

Dana

Yeah, kind of.. But back then they totally vanished, for the most part, from American (and other country's) media after the Lovetown Tour ended in 1990.

After the Bomb tour ended we had the release of another greatest hits package and of course the movie and then the re-release of the Joshua Tree..

They haven't entirely fallen off radar.

I quite agree that it could show up and that lyricly it may still fit but the majority of Mercy lovers on this board are not going to want to see much in the way of changes in the music which is what I think would change the most for it to still make the album. The music was to close to what Bomb was for it to fit in with what we've been hearing about new directions.

Dana
I actually don't think it was very Bomb-like. It seemed more subtle and a bit less obvious. I liked it, but felt it needed a lot of work, but that, unlike most of Bomb, it was on the right track to something more genuine that had been missing from U2 in a long while. Bono still needed to make the lyrics even less obvious, though, but there was nothing as bad as those of "All Because of You", "Walk On" or "Elevation".

Ok, but the key thing is that they are keeping it quiet....if U2 wanted to advertise the shit out of this album, they could...they could get everyone talking about it if they really wanted to....It all makes sense to me...they are keeping more quiet, and thus we don't hear much buzz on radio stations, etc....isn't that normal? To me, it's encouraging, because it hints maybe to a less commercial sound, and more innovative...like they want to really surprise everyone, and shock the world.

I hope you're right!

Back
Top Bottom