Text on the album cover after all?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

morgan1098

War Child
All versions of NLOTH on amazon.co.uk now feature this:

41hbMmPWuPL._SS500_.jpg

Will there be text on the cover after all?

Also, amazon.uk now has a track listing and as of this writing there is NO BONUS TRACK.

Huh. If that is indeed the finished cover, I have to take back my original assessment and say that I prefer the blank one with the equal sign.

Those look like footprints, in which case makes it look like sand instead of sea. I'm so confused.

And I really dislike that font.

FWIW, I think those circular patterns in the water are just digital "noise" due to the resolution of the photo, and aren't actually part of the cover.

And I, too, like the word-less version better.

it's the same font as the image someone posted yesterday that's supposed to be the GOYB single cover.

I get a very Radiohead vibe from that font for some reason, even though they've never used it.

^ The picture we've seen of the box set would support this.

That's probably the album font, though.

Looks like shit. Absolutely terrible. It's like someone started scribbling over the original cover in MS Paint and saved the new image as a low-resolution jpg. :huh:

Again, there's no way that's the cover.

Speaking of the font, what's with the gaps in the letters?

GOYB single:
GET ON Y OUR B OOTS
Album:
NO L INE ON THE HOR I ZON

HMV Uk is using the same image (with text) for all versions of the album. Plus they have an "exclusive slipcase" version that DEFINITELY has text on it, although it's difficult to see what it looks like in this image:

U2SLIPCASE.JPG

All of the images including text are for marketing purposes only - same thing as promotional posters hanging in the store... The cover is as shown on the boxset image. i'm sure there will be slipcases etc. that will incorporate text. That HMV one doesn't look great from the tiny image.

^^Yes, official images of the "textless" cover are widely available, which makes me question even more why amazon and HMV are using the text version. Very weird... especially when amazon UK had the textless version originally and then REPLACED it with this one.

I'm not suggesting a conspiracy here. It's just strange.

Strange indeed.

Maybe people are just compelled to write on shit.

I found that out while pissing in a public restroom recently.

How the guy was able to keep a steady stream flowing into the urinal cake and still be able to reach up to the ceiling and write the phrase: Lindas pusse smels like fish
is beyond me....true talent indeed.

All joking aside, the simplest explanation IS that U2 decided to change the cover when they discovered it had been used before! Not THAT hard to do if they aren't printed yet.....

All joking aside, the simplest explanation IS that U2 decided to change the cover when they discovered it had been used before! Not THAT hard to do if they aren't printed yet.....

Why? There's no real evidence that there's been any change to it at all. :scratch:

Seeing as how they've already produced the physical boxset, as evidenced by the pictures we've already seen, it's doubtful that they've suddenly changed it. If the picture in the opening post is really the cover, would they really have that much waste of space? The actual picture would then only be a small portion of the cover, then with a rim of white around it, then with a line around that, then with the text, then surrounded by more empty space. Kind of silly. :shrug:

:rolleyes: Wow, you are really hung up on this non issue aren't you?

They have probably already started printing, and there is no "discovery" that it's been used before, I'm 95% sure they knew in advance. When buying the rights to the artwork, I'm pretty sure this was discussed...

might just be a sticker with the words on it, too. that's been used before, with picture covers. Just a sticker on the packaging.

btw, they'd better ship my boxset early, if they don't want me to bootleg that album as soon as the release date hits. I don't think I can wait past the drop date.

I don't think that image of the boxed set means that it has been mass-produced yet. It's simply a mockup for marketing purposes.

I think the "text version" of the cover is just Universal's attempt to ensure that people associate the album cover with U2. Marketing people are very much against text-less album covers. All of the original albums on Peter Gabriel's Realworld label had NO TEXT on them. Gabriel has said on numerous occasions that he had to go to battle with the marketing people almost every time a new album was released. He apparently lost that battle, because now all Realworld titles have text on the cover. :(

SO, I think the U2 album cover will be text-less once you unwrap it, but I would also bet that there will be a sticker on there somewhere with the name U2 and the album title to make the marketing people happy.

I hope the cover itself is textless. I don't like that there is something printed within the white frame. I hope it's for marketing only, or a sticker.

There will be a bonus track on the UK version, I just don't think the track has been confirmed yet.

Back
Top Bottom