submarine/gasoline rhyme

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I apologise for disagreeing with the general consensus of this board.

I am apparently a "moron" and a "dumbass" and "need my IQ raised."

It feels so good to be among U2 fans, who admire a band that goes on and on about getting along, love and peace, etc.

I would say more but it would be like throwing gasoline on a submarine.

LOL, I was kidding. Sorry if I offended you.

Iota, you are so right!!!

Bono should have rhymed "submarine/vasoline" instead!!!

PS: Won't be surprised if this was written already in this booklet of a thread...

the worst rhyme of bono's career will never be undone

"it's early fall. there's a cloud on the new york skyLINE
innocence, dragged across a yellow LINE"

sorta reminds me of...

At the bowling lanes, the Pin Pals are on another roll...

All but Homer: Come on, Homer! Come on, Homer!
Pretend this is baseball and hit us a homer!
[Homer gets a strike; they cheer]
Homer: By the way, guys: rhyming "Homer" with "homer"? [kisses
fingers]
:up::up::cool:

I'm under the impression that if the original poster started the thead with something such as a "Hey, wonderful gang! Say, howzabout we play a little game where we rhyme submarine and gasoline in a couplet? It's just a little fun, to give our support to a top-notch lyricist!" rather than a "oh FUCK YOU bono your lyrics are terrible" then there wouldn't be all this shit that I can't be bothered reading.

I can clearly hear the words 'submarine' and 'gasoline' on seconds 10-12 from beach clip 3... anyone else?

I'm under the impression that if the original poster started the thead with something such as a "Hey, wonderful gang! Say, howzabout we play a little game where we rhyme submarine and gasoline in a couplet? It's just a little fun, to give our support to a top-notch lyricist!" rather than a "oh FUCK YOU bono your lyrics are terrible" then there wouldn't be all this shit that I can't be bothered reading.

This

I apologise for disagreeing with the general consensus of this board.

I am apparently a "moron" and a "dumbass" and "need my IQ raised."

It feels so good to be among U2 fans, who admire a band that goes on and on about getting along, love and peace, etc.

I would say more but it would be like throwing gasoline on a submarine.

you are totally missing the point of the arguements. You're initial post was berating the lyrics.

I think it would be in my definition of moron to openly blast 4.5 years worth of songwriting and lyrics based on 2 words.

s'all im saying...:up:

GOYB:

i am a canadian soldier
coming home looking to hold her

gotta get off this stinking submarine
smelling like its gasoline
get on yer boots, go home
get on yer boots, go home

titlephoto-sml.jpg

long live canadian navy seals

:up: this.

:lock: and this.

I'm not looking forward to the next couple of weeks until the album is released if it means people are taking a litle bit of information on (possible) lyrics out of their context and starting to rant about them. :doh:

Or maybe I'm looking forward to it because it's pretty amusing. :cute:

OK, I'm off to write a poem about submarine and gasoline and what not.

If you're my submarine...
I'm the gasoline
(and with your telescope
I can see further)*

*GYBO is the new Mercy

Words are sinking like a submarine
My brain is out of gasoline (for the self-depreciating angle)

I think I have a chorus here:

We all live in a yellow submarine,
which's running out of gasoline....

(I don't know... it remembers me something..:wink:)

I think something along these lines would be really cool :up:

and then her love came down all over me
pressure had me diving deeper than a submarine
praying that the currents can quell these flames
but no, this girl she's my gasoline.

Firstly this is rock music, not a University English class. Secondly you havent heard the track yet and are already passing judgement on it. Thirdly if you havent liked the lyrics from the last 3 albums nobody is forcing you to like U2 go find another band.

in beach clip3 in the first 10-15 seconds there's a line that seems this line.. but i'm not sure :D

iota i'm agree with you but only in the last 2 record beacuse i think that Pop has wonderful lyrics ...

Get on your boots it's an easy title ...
will be an easy song .. with an easy lyrics :D

let's listen the record for the deep lyrics..

my english is a shame ..i know :D

The answer is on beach clip #3: "I've got submarine, you've got gasoline..."

USA vs. Iraq?

Remember that on Get On Your Boots Bono doesn't wanna "talk about war between nations".

Yeah, this is exactly what I hear as well after reading Alan Cross' comment on that rhyme. Not mind-blowing but the delivery with that playful, cocky attitude makes it less cringe-worthy in my opinion. It's towards the end of the first verse we can hear in the beach clip: I've got submarine/You've got gasoline/Gasoline and [something inaudible] in your sexy boots then comes the kickass riff and chorus that isn't as kickass but still works pretty well. Don't take everything so seriously. There's just something about portraying serious issues and subjects in different ways that seems to work with me. Get On Your Boots seems to be about a serious subject disguised as a fun and uptempo first single radio song. :shrug: Don't worry about it, the rest of the lyrics from Q and Rolling Stone seems to be the best Bono has written this decade - apart from Kite, of course.
That song doesn't have all killer lyrics either but they work well enough and needless to say it doesn't matter that much that some lyrics are so-so when it's my favourite U2 song of all time. There's something special happening when U2 get together with Eno/Lanois, for sure!

On a related note, some unreleased All That You Can't Leave Behind outtakes seemed to have beautiful lyrics as well:
Speak to me of the supernatural things/I will listen if you can tell me why the songbird sings - Stir My Soul (previously Jubilee)
And this section from an unknown song during the same era:
Out of the blue out of the - -
Out of range out of striking distance
Off the wagon on the smokes
Off the canvas On the ropes
Out of sorts out of smokes
Out of laughter fear of jokes

Out of range of where you thought you might be
Daddy go home
Out of me out of you
Out of reach of rescue
Out of the reasons I left you
Out of smokes out of jokes
Out of punches on the ropes

Out of luck out of time
Out of change and at the end of the line
- - - break rhyme
Laundry list lyrics to some of you, perhaps.

So, this was just my two cents in this debate, thanks for reading.

Alright, I'm sorry. Bono's writing skills have been diminishing for about 3 albums now...and this is getting ridiculous. The worst line ever written in a song was:

"the air is heavy...heavy as a truck" from Electrical Storm.

It's getting on my nerves. The music is still quality, but the rest of U2 need to run a intervention on Bono and make him go back to some kind of literary boot camp and re-learn how to write evocatively. I had high hopes for this album, but the fact that he rhymed "submarine" with "gasoline" shows me that he's not even trying any more.

Disagree?

Prove me wrong then. Write an artistically excellent, intellectually stimulation couplet that rhymes "submarine" and gasoline" and I'll eat my words. It can't be done.

You judge lyrics you havent heard. Your even more of a joke than Bono's recent lyrical ability.

"You can go down, a submarine,
Gonna choke on my gasoline." :yikes:

As this crappy verse (and thread) illustrates, it's pretty flippin' hard to write decent lyrics. Those who can, do. Those who can't tend to piss and moan about those who can. Maybe we should go back to talking about eyeliner. At least some of us do that better than Bono. :doh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom