submarine/gasoline rhyme

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oops..I knew I shouldn't have shot my LOST wad too early!

The submarine's going down!
Need more gasoline!

You, the posters are the gasoline
And this, my thread is the submarine!

Listen, I don't mind the occasional fluff, but I'm more than certain the B-Man can give more than he's provided.

Well said! Those are my thoughts too.

Maybe he just doesn't care anymore to ensure that every song on the album is impeccable and without fault. Because that is how I would describe, say Achtung Baby or Joshua Tree. Bomb is good but not perfect, IMO. Or maybe we are expecting too much from him after almost 30 years of songwriting! lol.

I agree with every iota of this post.

:laugh:

"You have the gasoline
to elevate
my submarine"

It's all about sex, baby.

:lmao:

Exactly. Mediocre is not good enough. Too much is not enough.

Look, Larry has actually put himself through "continuing education" for the drums...why not Bono? Maybe he should go spend a few month in solitude on the island of Iona and rediscover the power of his poetic urges?

NO MORE MOLES IN HOLES!
NO MORE TEARS GOING NOWHERE BABY!
NO MORE AIR HEAVY AS TRUCKS!
If he wrote those lines in a poetry 101 class, he would flunk.

Joshua Tree just had great lyrics. If 2009 Bono went back in time and rewrote the album, it would've been "ok."

Where The Streets Have No Name would be titled: "We Need (To Get Along)" and Bullet the Blue Sky would be called "Stop (The Bullets in the Sky...They Hurt People!)" - see what I'm saying?

Maybe he will rhyme gasoline, submarine AND trampoline and we will have Party Girl 2.0?

Or maybe he will try something a la Flaming Lips

She don't use jelly
She uses gasoline

:hmm:

All that we officially know about Get Your Boots On, or Get On Your Boots, whatever it's called now is that it contains the lines "Get on your boots, sexy boots, you don't know how beautiful you are" and that Bono rhymes "Submarine and Gasoline", and that there's electric drums, and also fuzz guitar riffs, power chords that echo the Damned's "New Rose" and verses that share a rythm with Subterranean Homesick Blues by Bob Dylan according to Rolling Stone.

Sounds like the song is going to be pretty out there. And if the rhyming of submarine and gasoline in the verses are reflective of the sound homage to that Dylan song then it just might make creative sense.

:lol:

I've forgotten how Stop (The Poverty) came about. Please don't tell me it was actually a rumored song title. Was it just meant as a joke by someone, I hope?

Yes, actually Bono was talking about it at one point, and he threw out the title as if he were proud of it.

Alright, I'm sorry. Bono's writing skills have been diminishing for about 3 albums now...and this is getting ridiculous. The worst line ever written in a song was:

"the air is heavy...heavy as a truck" from Electrical Storm.

It's getting on my nerves. The music is still quality, but the rest of U2 need to run a intervention on Bono and make him go back to some kind of literary boot camp and re-learn how to write evocatively. I had high hopes for this album, but the fact that he rhymed "submarine" with "gasoline" shows me that he's not even trying any more.

Disagree?

Prove me wrong then. Write an artistically excellent, intellectually stimulation couplet that rhymes "submarine" and gasoline" and I'll eat my words. It can't be done.

Yes, I disagree.

First, you zoomed in on one rhyme ("truck" and "luck"). The rest of the song is absolutely stunning with wonderful lyrics. The "you're in my mind, all of the time - I know that's not enough" is very haunting and powerful. Yet, it seems the entire song is disregarded because of one rhyme. And I don't even see what's so wrong with saying the air is heavy as a truck. It's an unusual metaphor one that breaks through cliches. I'd much rather that line than something like "the air is heavy, filled with strong aroma" or something just as banal.

People then zoom in on the "mole in a hole" comment. "Elevation" is a fun, light-hearted rock song, meant to be about a person discovering God (arguably, it could be "the spirit" or a lover or anyone or anything else that can elevate one from a type of depression). The "I and I" is, however, a clear reference to God and the other person. If one just read the song "a mole, digging in a hole", it might sound like it was written for children. But when sung with the glee of the song, the utter happiness and joy that is present, its simplicity becomes so powerful. We don't need Latin verses, ala "Gloria", which U2 clearly did (and it begs the question - a simple silly rhyme or stealing direct quotes from the Latin Bible?). In the context of the song, the rhyme and the fun work. I've often felt that one weakness of Bono's lyrics is that sometimes they are too involved. "Pride" and "Desire" - too of U2's early rockers - are really rather deep songs. What's wrong with something fun, yet still has some meaning (in this case, a song about God)? The duality there works very well. Reminds me of Tim Rice lyrics in his various musicals (which are also fluffy, but catchy).

As for submarine/gasoline - having not heard the song, I refuse to comment. It may work brilliantly. Or it may be a throw-away line, but it flows with the rest of the song. To claim this is an example of "poor writing" based on two words is ridiculous.

Some people seem to love the more "removed" writing style Bono had in the 80's and early 90's. But as he shifted closer to his own personal world (as he clearly did with "Pop" and the albums since), the lyrics shifted too. It's actually easier to write about a MLK, or a war, or drugs if one separates all those topics from one's self. Pull them into your pesonal world, talk about love, family, lovers, children, etc., and the lyrics take on a different tone. And I think many U2 fans just aren't used to that.

Also, I find that once again, people attack the recent while forgetting the past, which is over-glorified. Need I remind anyone of the hundreds of "baby, baby, baby's" used in "Ultraviolet"? Great song, but really a cop-out lyrically. Even the great WOWY is lyrically simple and a bit repetitive. For a song with no true refrain, the "give yourself away" line is used abundantly. Then there's songs like "Boy/Girl" or the afore-mentioned "Gloria" ("and I saw you, saw you standing there - the door was open..." - sounds like Bono was looking around the studio singing what he saw in front of him).

Bono's lyrics and vocals are what attracted me to U2. However, to claim he is a master at either is too much. But he does both quite well - so well that it not only made me a fan, but kept me one for 26 years. So I'm willing to overlook the odd lyric or singing here and there (album version of NYD is not his strongest) because he has created so many more memorable and powerful moments.

Yes, actually Bono was talking about it at one point, and he threw out the title as if he were proud of it.

:no:

Bono had nothing to do with Stop (The Poverty)! *shudder*

As far as I can recall, somebody here (theu2fly? :hmm: ) made it up.

The couplet game is present in post one. It's the point of the thread...THEREFORE

Everyone who doesn't write a couplet is hijacking my thread!

Oh, and before you accuse me of hijacking based on my previous post, you essentially just rhymed "thread" with "thread".

Why that's like rhyming "Homer" with "Homer". Brilliant! :applaud:

:no:

Bono had nothing to do with Stop (The Poverty)! *shudder*

As far as I can recall, somebody here (theu2fly? :hmm: ) made it up.

Next you're going to say that Bono didn't really pay $7,000 to airmail a pair of sunglasses he left behind on tour. :tsk:

The answer is on beach clip #3: "I've got submarine, you've got gasoline..."

USA vs. Iraq?

Remember that on Get On Your Boots Bono doesn't wanna "talk about war between nations".

The original rumor was that it was his green hat, not sunglasses.

I know, but it's morphed into sunglasses the same way Stop (The Poverty) and The Sun, The Moon, The Stars have somehow become confused as real songs. :tsk:

Why lock this thread and not any of the other pointless threads on this page?

The rest of the threads are like "A Nutcracker Christmas" - people waaay too serious and boring. No real opinions ventured. This thread is like the "Margarita and Karaoke Christmas Party" - equally pointless, but snarkier and actually creative.

I remember when there was only one party I didn't want to go to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom